New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Prices of Vintage Recurve Bow  (Read 102 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Prices of Vintage Recurve Bow
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:30:35 AM »
Was just browsing Gunbroker.com this morning for a 26 Nolser and say the old Ben Pearson, Fred Bear recurve bows!! Wow, my $49 Ben Pearson is worth a about $300....so if you own a vintage bow that just stands in the corner and has long been forgotten, get the sucker out and polish it up.....it will surprise you like it did me the value of it!!

I am going to look at my first compound a Bear Whitetail 6 wheeler bow using wooden and fiberglass arrows (yep still have them) is worth today...if anything....should be interesting....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
Re: Prices of Vintage Recurve Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
Those older recurves and longbows in good condition are becomming more rare.   People like the old Fred Bear stuff, esp.the ones that were made in Grayling MI. The Ben Person, Howard Hill, etc. stuff is desireable as well.

The compounds are more of a nich market. I think mostly because its hard to find those older style teardrop cables.  Due to internal corrosion they become more unsafe to use over time.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:22 AM »
My first hunting bow was a Bear Grizzly, 45#, made in Grayling.  Sort of wish I still had it, but I sold it in a garage sale. A few days later, the guy who bought it, told me he shot a deer with it.  He wanted it for hunting in rainy days.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
I have an old Bear recurve that my dad had as a you boy.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
i've been told my onieda bows are worth good money now. i should sell a couple
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:13:23 AM »
i've been told my onieda bows are worth good money now. i should sell a couple
I always liked those Oneida Eagle's. It was a very cool hybrid design.

I have a few Bear Bows.   My first bow as a kid was a Bear red fiberglass recurve. At some point my dad must have given it to the local archery club. Many years later when I was on the board  of the same club I found it in a back room and eventually got it back.  I knew it was the same bow because I has spray painted it green and it still had glue on it from where I had tried to attach some pins for a sight.   I still have it!!

I also have a older Kodiac Magnum. This is a short compact bow which is great for shooting from pop up blinds or tight spaces. This one is around 55# if I recall correctly.

Several years ago I picked up a Bear Grizzly. This was a "newer" bow made in the FL plant. I bought this before my Canada bear hunt. At the time I did not have a bow that met the minimum weight requirement for Canada so a guy on the trad forum I was on at the time gave me a great deal on it. That was a week long hunt with a group of traditional bowhunters. That was my first all traditional hunt camp and it was a blast.

My dad has a Bear Kodiac. Nice bow but at 60-65#'s it is hard on the fingers and shoulder.  I tried to work up to this but never felt comfortable with the weight to shoot it often.

I have a couple small Pearson recurves which I believe are both about 45#@28".

I have a handfull of other recurves and longbows. Some are just wall hangers and some are more modern.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016

New Page 3

Google Ad