New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Binocular help  (Read 1179 times)

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
Binocular help
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking for some info/help in finding some new binos. I finally bit the bullet a few months back and went to the eye doctor and i have an astigmatism so I had to get glasses, never realized how bad my eyes were.  Problem is that I have to wear my glasses and obviously can't see out of my current binos and with my glasses of I can't see anyway so that's not an option.  I'm not sure what I'll even need in a new pair, weather more eye relief or what, do any of you have this issue with solutions or any suggestions?

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Binocular help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
first thing to do is to refocus your binos each eye piece has to be set up to your new glasses next step would be to see if their are any that can be focus to your glasses .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:50:01 PM »
first thing to do is to refocus your binos each eye piece has to be set up to your new glasses next step would be to see if their are any that can be focus to your glasses .  ##$%#1118

The problem is they are too far away and it's like I'm looking down a pipe, I can't get close enough to the binoculars with the glasses on.

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
I used to wear glasses, have contacts now.  When I had the glasses on, the only way I ever found out how to fix the "looking down the pipe" was taking the glasses off. Its a pain, but everything will be in focus with the binos even without your glasses.  Also make sure you shoot your rifles.  I noticed this last year that wearing glasses made me shoot differently then when I had contacts in
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
Without my glasses it does fix the looking down the pipe but everything's still out of focus, so I need to have the glasses on, which is the issue

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:41 AM »
I had the same problem several years ago, I got me a pair of Ziess Binos, they have collapsible eye guards for those of us who wear glasses. I can use them either way, extended eye guard without glasses and collapsed eye guard for when I am wearing glasses, which is 99% of the time. As mentioned earlier, make sure you get to the range with your rifle scopes also, that is a major issue with me (still) when wearing glasses. Good Luck
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
I would suggest going to a bass pro shop or a cabelas and trying different ones and seeing what works best for you.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
Thanks guys, I was just looking for some suggestions as a starting point.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
I have to take my eyeglasses off, when using binos.  Even with glasses, at relatively close distances, I cannot distinguish much detail, and the binos become a necessity.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Snort and Gutshot are leading you in the right direction, you'll definitely need to go out & try some different things to see what works best.

I do fine looking through my rifle scopes with glasses on, but with the binos, I hate having the eyepiece smudges on the lens so I raise the adjustable eye cups and look through them without my glasses (push them up on my forehead).  Pain in the backside, but it works.  Don't have great success with contacts, so that compromise with my glasses is my current routine.  Considering lasik, but haven't gotten there yet.  Again, I think you'll have to experiment a bit to find something that is reasonable for you.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
like they all said, go try some different ones to see what work. most good binos have adjustable lenses to adapt to glasses. i wear glasses and have no problems. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Millers- to start with, what brand of binoculars, power, etc., do you presently own? How old are they? Like many here, I too wear glasses but shoot through a scope or using binoculars. I have the adjustable cups in the out position. If you wear glasses then you will need to keep the eyepiece cups in the down position.

If you need to get a new pair, the good news is that binoculars are getting better and cheaper than every before. If you eyes are messed up as you think they are, then you might need to start looking for a new pair with both eyes diopter adjustment. Most of today's binoculars had the right eye adjustment and maybe that is all you need to do it to do some adjusting to your existing binoculars. Also go back to your doc and explain the problem to him, he may know the answer to you problem....

Leica and other top end binoculars have both eye diopter adjustments, but they are expensive...

For starters tell me what brand and power do you currently have....Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
I currently have a pair of Bushnell 12x50 perma focus. Not the best I know but they have worked perfectly for around 10 years. I loved pulling them up and looking no messing with focus or anything. They don't have eye cups and no diopter adjustment.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Check out Swarvoski CL or if you budget permits SLC. Their best are EL's. They are the best optically, hold their value and have lifetime warranty. Heck, even models from 30 years ago will stack up well to todays big name big box store brands
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:34 AM »
millers800.....If you have to wear glasses and your current binoculars eye cups don't adjust up or down (in or out), and you still get "Tunnel Vision", it maybe time to start (before the deer season starts) some new binoculars.....

To start with...you need to take a trip to your local big box store and try on some binoculars...just put the up and look through them...this will be a 3 to 4 project to settle on a good pair for the money. Just recently I have purchased 3 pairs of under $200 binoculars and tell you that all of them are worthy of owning...depending on where and how you hunt will determine what power and objective diameter you should get. Do you need 8X or 10X....you current 12X50mm are quiet the strong binoculars and I bet they weight a lot? The newer binos are very light generally under 25 ounces and have either 30 to 32mm objective diameter.

And what is your budget?? Flint has it right if you can afford them. I own a pair of EL's that I have had for about 10 or so years and a pair of Vortex Viper (under $600) both are 10X and that is all the power I need for my hunting. The Swarovski or Zeiss or Leica are the best binos out there. I won 14 pairs of binoculars and tell you that they are getting better and better, cheaper and cheaper all the time. Still with a good vendor that has a good warranty...You may have to use it one day. For that reason along should be your starting point....just trying to help....Bo

That poses another question, what kind of rifle scope and power are you using, having the same trouble focusing ??? 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad