New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Tract Optics  (Read 659 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Tract Optics
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
Notsams - Just ordered me a Nikon Buckmaster II 3-9X x 40 through Amazon for $102 + plus state tax..the total came to a shade over $111.00. I have several of these scopes and forgot how low cost they are, have one or two Prostaffs as well....I will throw it on the Scope Pile down in the gun room when it gets here next week.....good value for the bucks... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
That's a really good price - I have one of those that I bought about 3 years ago.  Can't recall for sure but I think I paid in the 170 range for it at the time.  Pretty decent scope - certainly for that price range.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Took the Tract Optics and the Vortex Vipers out and started comparing just those two sets...nothing big but man they are close, very close to being the same, giving the edge to the Tract on the edges, that is about it...both are rated the same power and size size Objective Diameter, both having the one (right) eye diopter adjustment...the Tract did not need any adjustment and the Vortex needed a very small change in the minus direction and that is all, both cost about the same both are made in Japan (by the same company I may ask??)

According to the Schotts Website, I try to do the caparison (but do not have the equipment they do, obviously) so, just an old redneck comparison is all I am trying to use here.....but feel like if any body is going to spend between $500 and $700 of very hard earn money, I think they would be satisfied with either one of these pair of binoculars....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »
Had to sign today for the Tract 22 Fire scope that will go onto the CZ455.....so far so good, it is very clear, and brand new. It is a basic scope, 4-12X x 40mm with 1 inch tube. It did not come with any covers for the bell and/or objective lenses....did not come with any owners manual that I can find in the box, took the box apart. Will report this to the Tract Owners and see what they have to say about the scope doesn't have a cover on it....

It is clear, sharp and has a good BDC reticule in, first plan focal, tough to turn the power ring up and down. Would have to remove the rifle from your shoulder and put some pressure on it to get to turn the power ring and the fast focus ring as well....So will mount it on the CZ455 tomorrow and take it to the range this week and see what happens....it was just under $200....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
Went ahead and mounted, added a cant level and bore sighted the new scope, the Tract 22 Fire......decided to clean it as well...so this coming week will take it to the range and get it sighted in. Here are some photos of it mounted.....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
my leo scope is very hard to turn. i really have to crank on it to adjust the power. i always found that odd on a quality scope
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
Yari - Yea I agree, it is not that way on my Swarovski, Leica, Ziess or other European Scopes....but the Burris I got in today was the same way....had to twist and shout until it started becoming easier....and the fast focus ring is the same way, sometimes it takes a good grip to twist the fast focus ring and one it gets started it OK...all my Leupold VX6 fast focus rings are the same way, once you put the rifle up for a few weeks or months, it will somehow "freeze-up" on you....but once you start working with it, it will loosen up....

In the morning before loading my centerfire rifle up I will twist the scope power ring and then the fast focus ring and then will pull the trigger and dry fire the rifle 3 times before putting live ammo in it and then will be ready to head to the woods. Once I get up in the ladder stand, or ground blind, I will then chamber a live round....sometimes I forget to rack one in....LOL...it has not cost me a deer  yet....LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
my leo never loosens up. it's always tight to the point if i have cold fingers it might not move. i really need a good grip
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 05:36:53 AM »
Yari - You are right, in cold weather the power rings seems to get harder to turn.....here in the south it does not get that cold, just occasionally.....I have my routine in the mornings before really loading my rifle. There are no loaded (in the chamber) rifles allow in camp (very good camp rule and everybody goes by it) but in the morning will try to loosen up the power rings and then the fast focus ring then dry fire the trigger several times.....

But if I hunted up north I might have to find a scope that the power ring would easily adjust as well as the fast focus ring.....I can tell you with my 37 Leupold scopes, some are harder, especially the newer VX2, VX3, VXR and a couple of the VX6....it seems like the newer ones they (whom every is assembly them) are not checking to see if the power and fast focus rings can be adjusted easily without removing the rifle from your shoulder. I know that on some of my scope, not just the Leupolds, that you have to drop the rifle off your shoulder adjust the power ring and then re-position the rifle back to your shoulder and get ready to fire.....just my opinion.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
Took the Tract Binoculars down with me during the supposedly archery/muzzle loader hunt that turned out to be very hot (in the low 90's) and humid and was able to work till about 11 AM until it got so hot...then I started testing the Tract Binoculars....don't know what they put on the lenses as far as coatings go, but they did cut down on the mirage factor which was a subtle difference between all three pair that I took down with me...was sitting on Jap51 front porch and was looking over 600+ of clear cut at 90+ degrees and you can bet the mirage came into play with scope...with the Ziess (10x30mm) and Leupold (10x30mm) I could see the mirage in the binos very clear, but the Tract Binos the mirage was subdued! This certainly surprised me and during the hunting season, mirage will not be a factor at all....but the color rendition and balance in all three binos were very true...but I am sure that a younger man with better eyes could see a bit of a difference....I have a couple of spotting scope with me the Gold Ring 12-40X Small Spotter and the Vortex Razor 11-33X smaller still and both of them picked up on the mirage....so I am impress with the Tract binos and will use them in the coming weeks we plan on being down hunting.....

Plan on bringing down both the Tract Optics Binos and Colt-Cooper 308 with a Leupold VX6, you see in the picture from previous post....will also bring down the Savage 6.5 CM with the Sig-Sauer scope. The McWhorter 270WSM will be my long range rifle the McWhorter has a Nightforce SHV scope on it!! Great Optics matter how you cut it.

My reference pair of binos is the Swarovski 10x32mm so it will interesting to see how the Swar's match up against the Tract....and in the same case as the Swarovski's is the Leica 1200 Rangefinder....

Should be interesting this year.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
The Votes are in and the testing complete. While I was down at the club for two weeks did several other test....Tract Optics, their Toric 10x42 binoculars, are better than my 10 year old Swarovski's!!! that is according to Split Toe, Deerhead, Jap51, Metalman, Cobbguy and several other club members.....now having said that, the Toric model were the biggest at 42mm objective lenses and most were the 32mm variety, like the Swarovski's, Zeiss's and Leupold's models were....

According to the members the Tract Toric model 10x42mm were clearer and sharper than the Swarovski's EL 10x32mm were....the Swaro's do not have their latest SwaroBright coatings and wonder if they use Schott glass back then....to these old eyes, both pair were great binoculars!! we looked at objects as far away as 700 yard and as close as 150 yards...both pair of binoculars were very, very good. At the MSRP price of $664, they are the clear winner.....

Then we did the test of the under $200 binoculars...they were the Zeiss ED Terra 10x32, the Leuold BX-3, 8x32mm, the Redfield Rebels 10x32mm....the winner was the Zeiss Terra but not by much...the panel was split on this test....some like the Zeiss and some like the Leupold's....both were very close and both were very good....I start out hunting using the Zeiss 10x32mm but ended up using the Leupold 8x32mm because of where I was hunting at..very thick and very close, within 75 yards is as far as I can see....The Redfield Rebels are the binoculars that need to be considered as well...I got them for $115 and can tell you that they are the best binoculars I have seen for that amount of money! Amazing what you can get for the money these days....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point
    • NYFD
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
Looks good, enjoy them!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
WOW that's great   It sure is nice to get honest reviews on optics I can afford. Thanks for your time.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
Not and Flint.....we were all sitting around mid day on Jap51 front porch of his camper and thought it would be a good time to test out these binos....This Thanksgiving weekend will take down to the woods with me the Tract binos 10x42mm and the Vortex Vipers 8x42mm. Their weight should be about the same and at the time the Vortex were very close to the EL's especially about 80% of the view....there was about 10% around the edges that fell off a bit....but still the Vortex and Tract are about the same price, with the Tract binos costing about $100 more...

I will also take down some more 10x30mm, 10x32mm and 8x32mm binos that cost under $200 and test those out against the Leupold BX3 (8x32mm) and the Zeiss Terra ED (10x32mm). One pair that is impressive that you would never guess is the Canon's 10x30mm IS (Image Stabilizing)......will take those down with me this time..... 

I did take my Lecia Rangefinder 1200 down with me and everyone was surprised how clear the Lecia glass was.....the rangefinder has no bells or whistles, it is a simple rangefinder that has very good glass in it...think the power is 6X.....no uphill or downhill, no anti-vibration...... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

New Page 3

Google Ad