New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Tract Optics  (Read 1873 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Tract Optics
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
   I'm wondering if anyone has seen any of the Tract optics rifle scope line. Tract optics ships direct from the factory without any middle men to add to the price. From the reviews I read it seems like Tract scopes are a great value.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Tract Optics
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
A few years ago i saw a review of a rifle with a TRACT scope on it...they reviewed the rifle but did not say anything about the scope...humm...that was the first time I had heard of them back then..have seen them advertise a few times. You can find out more about them on SWFA or Optic Planet. Currently MidwayUSA does not carry them....

I was just on their website a few minutes ago and they are not cheap but both co-founders have extensive optic experience with Nikon and Redfield......

https://www.tractoptics.com/

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Just got off with Jon from a live chat with him one of the two founders...yes they do use Schott Glass on the top brands...he also told me that TRACT scopes are made in Japan and they work with a company that makes their products with to their specs....these two guys are up and up and sound like they know what they are doing....

Jon passed on a link from Outdoor life about the 2016 Scope ratings and TRACT was second on the list....impressive..just keep them in mind.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
Notsams - I am going to buy one of their 22 scopes for under $200 and try it out probably on a Ruger or Remington 22 that I have laying around..I am willing to do this before diving into Tract other products. Both Jon and Jon both have worked at Nikon for many years. I think if they cut out the middleman, it will be a very good price point product!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
BO that's awesome    I can't wait for you to review it.    I to have looked at them but I have been so happy with Leupold and hate to change.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:00 AM »
Not - Like you, I am a big Leupold fan, I grew up on them and think their first scope was produced the year I was born, 1949! but for a while there I thought a better value was a Ziess Conquest for $399 for a 3-9X x 40 with a 1 inch tube, so I bought about a dozen of so of them....believe me, I have them all. There was a time right before Tasco went under that they produced a real good scope for the money. Order my first one through Sportsman Guide back in the late 90's for an amazing $35! Could not believe the value so I order a few more for $49 and a few more after that for $59...all in all, purchased about a dozen or so of them...over the years have purchased many Nikon scopes. Love their flexibility and quality for the money. At one time I was buying those 1.5-6X x 44mm Monarch  Gold Plus..with a 30mm tube wow, could not believe the value for the money..so I set out an bought about 6 of them, still have them all mounted on 308's short heavy barrels! Meopta had a few good steel tubes that were heavy so I think they modified that line, renamed it for the move to Aluminum tubes scopes. I could go on....

When Vortex came out a while back, I bought their Crossfire and then Crossfire II scope. What a value for the money versus their guarantee...had a vortex rep tell me that when they first came out on the market their target was to take on Ziess Conquest line...they succeeded...then talk to the same rep a few years later after Ziess dropped their Conquest line..but Meopta picked it up calling it a different name. But I have watched Vortex grow and grow. I now own a Razor Spotting Scope, a pair of Viper Binoculars and a few Viper Scopes and many of their Crossfire II scopes....they have introduced more expensive lines of scopes as well and their prices are creeping up as well....but now they are targeting Leupold for their Warranty...making a Vortex guarantee the same as a Leupold guarantee...

But there is one scope I will not buy, some of you may own one or two of these scopes and haven't had any problems with them, but I have own two of them new and had both had reticule issues so I never have purchased another one.....

So Tract Optics is an upstart company sort of speak with both owners named Jon if you can believe that, and will give them a try! Will report back when I get it in.....     

I am modifying this post to add some pictures of some, not all of the, but some of the scope and equipment boxes that I save. This is only a small portion of the boxes....especially the scope boxes. I have a couple of boxes that have scope boxes mounted vertical in them in order to save space....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:25:00 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
 Bo my biggest worry would be if in 10 years would Tract optics still be in business to repair a scope. I'm sure Leupold will be.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »
Notsams - Exactly....I worry about that as well...I have two xerox boxes full of Leupold scope boxes, stacked vertical, and that is what is keeping me to jump into Tract Optics...just wondering, like you, if they will be around in 10 years...but for the best Schott Glass for under $750 is incredible value...but Jon whom I spoke with said that they are cutting out the middle man and selling directly to the consumer with no dealers now and in the future does make a lot of sense....

What to do? Don't want me or anyone else spending their hard earn money on a product that won't or may not be around in 10 years....so for now no recommendations on them...they sound good and have spent a ton of money marketing their products here in the US and they don't hesitate telling you that their products are made in Japan...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »
OK just got in from Sam's - Put some new tires on my wife Camry and some major food supplies in the buggy for the us today. Becuase of the knee replacement stuff could not get out like we both wanted too. So today was the day. Yesterday, went and had lunch withe some old work buddies and then got the oil changed in the Camry. Had some money left over and just purchased some of Tract Toric Binoculars 10x42mm - naturally their best...Decided on spending almost $700 on another set of binoculars and will give you guys a first impression and take photos of them when they come in....Good Lord, this is the 4th set of binoculars in 2017....got to stop this nonsense....

Was going to order a Tract 22 scope but since I have 6 scopes already on the "pile" that are not mounted, thought that the binoculars would be a better fit for all of us.....

Will have to go back to Sam's in about a month or 6 weeks for the paper products we will need for the work weekend down in GA...150 good paper plates (Chinet), paper towels, toilet paper, bowls etc....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
They arrived this morning and this is only a first impression of them....see four pictures below....they are extremely clear from edge to edge....color rendition is true and sharp. I need to take my EL's and Vipers out and compare them...as I was looking at objects 500 yards away, and then up close say 100 to 150 yards, I had a smile on my face....I think I will have to take these to the woods with me this year...very sharp and very clear..fast focus and did not have to adjust them at all...came right out of the box and raised up the eye cups and began looking into the darkest part of the woods. It is fixing to rain so it is cloudy day...great for judging colors and sharpness....

Now on the down side...they are heavy binoculars almost to heavy unless you are a young guy and weight doesn't matter....these are your binos...I will put them in my back pack or fanny pack and carry to the blind or stand this year with me and after getting settled into the blind/stand, will get them out and get them set up for the hunt....Not as heavy as my 10x40 Nikons but heavier than the 10x32 that I purchased this year (Redfield Rebels, Zeiss ED Terra and Leupold BX-3). I made a suggest to Tract that the think hard and long about making a pair of the smaller binoculars so you can carry them underneath your coat....

Packing was nice and the carry case was OK...good enough to keep them protected when not in use....will save the box and packing just in case I have to send them back for any reason...but they are rugged construction and made to withstand the elements...cannot wait to drag them through the mud and get some wear on them....If their scopes are anything like their binoculars, will think long and hard about getting a Tract Scope for the 26 Nosler....or 28 Nosler....or 22 Nosler...or...?????

All in all, very pleased with them and would have to say that they beat the Vipers and are very close to the EL's at a third of the price.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
After hanging out with the Tract Binoculars, I have to say they are exceptional clear and sharp...but heavy..after a day of picking them up and using them, I would say that the only draw back to these binoculars is that they are a bit on the heavy side...this tells me that you can hold them steady but not for a long as a pair of 10x33's binoculars. I compare them against again today the Zeiss Terra ED, 10x32mm....there is no comparison in my mind that the Tract Binos are much clear and sharper...but again they are on the heavy side...I went ahead and put the strap on and will take the strap off for hunting season, but will pull it off when hunting season gets here....I came up to record the serial number in a file with every serial number I know....these binos are sitting right next to me....

Hear is the question, do you wait for Tract to come out with a 10x32 or 33mm pair of binos or do you buy now?? The is a tough question. Jon one of the co-founders and he told me that they have been getting a lot of request for smaller binos....not going to recommend that this is a buy item or not, but for the price of $674, they are price right for the quality in my mind. If they were priced at $399, they could not make enough of them...the current price will make you stop and think about making a purchase. I know I looked at them for about a month or six weeks before buying them.

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
Been steadily been using these binos a few times a day. Got up this morning at 3:30 and had to wait till 5:30 and wait outside before there was enough light to go out there and check them out...my normal binos are 8 or 10 x 32mm...these are 10x42 and with the extra 10mm for the objective end, it really draws in the light...had my Leupold BX-3 and the Zeiss ED Terra out there with me this morning, had to swat away some misquotes but did sit out there till about 6:30 AM just checking out objects at anywhere from 20 yards to about 200+ yards. These are the real deal...I will have to lean on the buy side now, even with the weight of these bigger pair. Objects were sharp and clear at all ranges, able to gather available light a better than the Zeiss and Leupold's, maybe this was due to the 40mm? That is the only draw back to these binos - the only draw back. They are well made, like a brick, ergonomically balanced...for under $700 bucks I will be using these binos during the season, in the dirt, rain, cold, warm weather we get down there, right Gut...these are waterproof and will take a bunch of Zeiss Wipes down with me this year....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Bo thanks for the posts. I am still looking at the scopes. I have to ask a couple questions before I make up my mind though. I would definitely want to have custom turrets on the scope.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 04:08:30 AM »
Notsams - After looking at my "Pile" of scopes, I decided to go with the binos and chatted with them about them making some 8 or 10 x 30 to 33mm binos, something a lot lighter than what they currently have now....they have had many request for that size of the binos. Tell you right now if the scope are anything like their binos, they are very very good scopes...but you never know if they will be around in 10 or so years??

Have been using these bino all weekend long looking at objects in bight sun as well as dark woods, etc...have not been disappointed. Have a pair of 10x40 Nikon's, I have sort of given to my wife to watch her bird feeders and other critters that come into the yard. The Tract are much clearer than the Nikons but also are newer as well, but their weight is about the same as the Nikon's are.

Here is the dilemma of weight versus stabilization, Just like heavy barrels, you can stay steadier with heavier binos and rifles, but you will be less stable with the lighter binos and rifles, but you can hold them on the object longer...so choice your poison as the old saying goes....

Let all of us know if you go with a Tract Scope...I still have one Zeiss, one Leupold, three Vortex, one Trijicon (yellow) and one Sightron scope that are not mounted - yet!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:24:19 AM »
Took the Tract Binos to the range with me this past week and will do it again in the near future....these binos are extremely good, sharp and clear through the edges, no color distortion at all, they do gather light very well and was looking at objects 500 to 1000 yards and beyond. I will be using these binos this coming year

Attached is a couple of pictures that I took of the Tract Binoculars....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad