New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Remington Versa Max  (Read 384 times)

Offline mgray03

• Fawn
Remington Versa Max
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
I need some data and information from you turkey hunters/ shotgunners out there.    Let me preface this request with the statement that I am not much of a shotgunner and definitely not much of a turkey hunter.  Also, if you should reply to my request please reply as if talking to a small child or even a beagle dog please.

I am venturing out for a semi-automatic shotgun for turkey hunting here in NC and am considering the Remington Versa Max among others.  One question I have is concerning the Pro Bore choke system.  What makes this system an improvement over the previous Remington chokes.  Is there any data out there directly comparing the two? 

Any other shotgun information (i.e. price comparisons, reliability, accuracy, replacement parts, etc.) please feel free.  As mentioned before please use the KISS methodology with me as I am rather slow on shotguns.

Thanks

Mike Gray
Mike Gray

HUNT LONG...HUNT WISE

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season is coming
Re: Remington Versa Max
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
if you have any friends that have shotguns ask to shoot them see if any of them that you like I have a mossberg 835 pump for turkey if you get a great load for it you will need just on shot
time to get ready for hunting season

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Mike,
The ProBore guns have a slightly larger bore diameter ahead of the choke tube than a Remchoke barrel has.  Frankly for someone who fires a few shots a year to support their turkey hunting habit, the ProBore option just doesn't offer enough benefit to worry about.  Guys that are shooting thousands of rounds a year on the trap range might gain a slight edge with it, and I can't tell you how much of that edge is mental vs. real, but for a relative newcomer to the shotgun world, you'll be just fine with a typical Remchoke, or any other variety of interchangeable choke tube.  That's what the majority of us are using on our Remingtons, Mossbergs, Brownings, and Winchesters, and we've all dropped a lot of toms, these days out to 50 yards with some this modern ammo like Longbeard and Hevi-Shot and extended range choke tubes.

You're going to find that it's far more critical for a given gun to find an ammo (brand, shot size, pellet type, etc) and choke combination that serves you well for the conditions you hunt.  For example, I use a Remington 11-87 with the regular full choke Remchoke tube and #6 Hevi-shot in a 3" shell.  I'm shooting my birds typically from 20-40 yards, and they drop on the spot.  Other guys on here will have other combinations they prefer  for their guns and hunting conditions.  I have a super-full Undertaker tube, but it's not giving me any benefits at that range so I leave it at home. The small (if real) advantage of ProBore isn't worth a moment of thought for you at this stage. 

Having a killer pattern at 50 yards sounds cool, but if your hunting spot is more likely to give you a 20 yard shot, don't overdo it on the choke or you'll end up missing the close ones (don't ask me why I know this). 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline mgray03

• Fawn
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Madgomer, I won;t ask.
Mike Gray

HUNT LONG...HUNT WISE

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
you know what i would do. i would find someplace to test fire a few different guns. you will find one that fits you and your eye better than the others. if you have buddies w/ different guns, ask them to borrow it for a night and shoot them all. (of course bring them back cleaned) i use to love my browning until i shot a benelli. it was night and day IMO. i bought a benelli the next week.

the bottom line is it's like a bow. shoot as many as possible before you make a decision. if you are like me, you won't sell it after you buy it, so make as informed decision as possible.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
Can't help with your question directly but I am in the school with Dave1211. A Mossberg 835 12 gauge and I will add an HS Strut Undertaker choke with Remington Nitro Turkey Load #6 and you are good at 35 yards with one shot! No questions asked. Barely a flop and in some cases just drop and dead! Good luck in your search!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
I would like to add my 2 cents.  My turkey gun is a Remington Express pump.  it will take 3" magnum shells and with the right choke and shell combination will definitely kill turkeys at 40 yds easily, but you still have to do your part.  As Madgomer said, a killer shot at 50 yds is impressive, but at 20 or 30 yds you may just miss your bird.  Reason for that is that at close ranges, your pattern will be very tight, much tighter than you would expect.  The only way to really know is to shoot one type of shell at different ranges.  My std load of 2 oz of copper plated Remington 4's, will give me a pattern of about 24" at 35 yds., and I have missed one bird at about 20 yds.  I never patterned the gun at 20 yds, only 35"  You don't really need a semi auto for turkey hunting, as most of the time, you seldom require a quick second shot.  My only experience with a semiauto was with a Remington 1100, which I traded for a Rem 700 back in 1971.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
The Verso Max is a really nice shotgun, with that being said I'll agree you really don't need a semi auto loader for turkeys. I've taken my fair share of birds through the years. I use a Remington model 870 super mag pump. I have a Gobblin Thunder turkey choke and shoot 3 1/2" shells. I use Winchester Long Beard XR 3 1/2" #5 shot.  The most important thing as other have said once you choose your gun and choke try different loads to determine what your set up prefers. Let us know what you settle on and good luck.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
The Versa Max is a great gun and I like your choice. I do not know about the choke system change but I will tell you this your choke and shotshell selection is very important and takes some time and shooting to get right unless you get lucky. You have ventured into dep waters my friend LOL!! There are as ment opinions on the right everything for turkey hunting as there are turkey hunters. IMO you don't need a semi auto or 3 1/2 in shells to kill turkeys but if you got the cash get the best you can afford. I would start with full or extra full choke and some Winchester Longbeard 3in # 5's or 6's at 25 yds and check your pattern out to 40 yds. I would use target with a turkey head on them and count you shots in the kill zone. Your best bet is to find a turkey hunter and ask questions just like you are doing here. Hope this help some and good luck in the deep end. LOL!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
Good luck with finding what suits you and fits you budget.

My 1st was Remington 12 Ga 870 express, full choke, 2 shells pump.

Then I moved to Mossberg Ultimag 12 Ga shhoting 3 mag loads pump with Indian Creek Choke. Awesome results.

I got older and went to a Beretta A300 Outlander semi auto. Less recoil. Did a nice job on the best turkey I ever got about two years back, story is on the forum somewhere for the inquisitive.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 02:05:17 AM »
I don't have any info on the versa max, but I was I looking for a new shotgun recently and wanting a semi auto. I got a deal on a Remington V3 28" barrel at gander mountain I couldn't turn down, 20% off, just over $660 out the door. Haven't shot it much but I'm quite happy with it, only chambered for 3" but oh well. Kicks less than my mossberg 20 gauge and seems quieter too. The beads on the barrel are on the small side. As for my turkey gun I shoot a 870 with a 21 inch barrel, looks ridiculous but kills toms, iffy on waterfowl though but that might not be the gun.

New Page 3

Google Ad