New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: The $500 Challenge  (Read 738 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
The $500 Challenge
« on: June 03, 2017, 06:31:29 AM »
Is it too early to start thinking about deer season??

I will try to find a variable rifle scope AND a pair of binoculars that cost a grand total of $500?? Something riflescope I could put on a decent rifle and a pair of binos that I would feel comfortable with......

My first thoughts would be a simple 3-9X x 40mm or 2-7X x 33mm. A scope that has a good guarantee

How bout a good pair of 8X of 10X x 32mm or 33mm or even to 40mm for under $250 of $300 ??

Let think about it for a while...boy tell you what those Redfields are hard to beat along with the Vortex Crossfires II....you thoughts please.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: The $500 Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
my buddy is sold on the vortex binos for under $200. 10x42's
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »
Yari - Was thinking and looking at the new components that came out of this years Shot Show and they are focusing on the higher dollar products...humm...too much for me....

Thinking about some 8X or 10X x32's binos for under $175 decent and a scope for $200 and then throw in a range finder for all with in $500 bucks! 

Think it can be done?? 

How about getting a 4 pack of optics for under $750!! A decent set of Binos, a Rangefinder, a Rifle Scope and a Spotting Scope all for under $750! and all products had a very similar warranty. Think it can be done?? How about a four pack for a $1K?? Better quality...

Years ago, I bought a Burris Electro-Dot scope for $300 and got a 20X Spotting scope with it...within a few years bought a Bushnell Scope and they threw in a 600 yard rangefinder with the Scope purchase...just got to keep looking....

If you are thinking about getting one of the four new products before the season starts, be sure to check back and re-visit this thread often. it would be nice to see what products everyone else has purchased and the warranty behind it.....that is the important key is the manufacturer's warranty on their product....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
that will be a challenge. vortex will be a good starting point. they have a solid line in al ranges

i'm at a point in my life i'm trying to upgrade one last time to high quality that i will be pleased with for life. that's why i went w/ the leica ranging binos. they should last for life. i can't wait to get them when my buddy comes up for our musky trip. he likes them better than his swaro's
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and the holder of the wallet of course).  I've been buying Nikon optics most consistently in recent years, and haven't been disappointed yet. Being the frugal old man that I am, I get zeroed in on a few options to target, then watch for sales.  For scopes, the Prostaff and Monarch lines are generally what I target and end up at $250 or less.  For binos, while I have a pair of Monarchs I don't think Nikon is the best value out there, but the quality is good.  Pretty sure I could find a Nikon scope and then a pair of binos that would suit my needs for less than 500, but of course I'm not shooting the distances that many of you guys do so can settle for a lower level of performance.  I have a pair of Leupold Yosemite binos that I keep in the truck - only 6X but pretty decent glass for about a hundred bucks.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
bo- i just saw cabelas has the vortex crossfire binos for under $200 PLUS you get a free harness($50 value) w/ the purchase. my buddy really like his crossfires

it might be worth looking into
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Yari and Mad - Well, have started it the challenge already...went out and found a pair of Leupold BX-3 for $199.99 (8X-32mm), camo finish....if you guys remember that last year during deer season used some Leupold BX-1 ($134) black finished and used the BX-1 the whole deer season...was definitely impressed with them....then I picked me up a pair of Zeiss ED Terra for $172 (to my door), then got some Redfield Rebels 10X32mm and now the Leupold BX-3 8X32mm for under $199.....they should be in this week as well....

Now focus on the Rifle Scopes....and Yari you are right, the Vortex is a good scope but have you notice the creep in price over the last few years?? They have gone from an affordable line to having a un-affordable line of scopes...sure they still offer an Crossfire II series of scope that works extremely well....I have been looking at the Nikon Prostaff II and Buckmaster II scopes...saw one today that was a Prostaff 3 that was a 2.5-10X x 42mm with a 30mm tube for $299...

Scopes I have two other Crossfires 2-7x33mm and a 3-9x50mm both have 1 inch tubes....and a few others not mounted on anything yet....have been looking at a Hi Point 9mm Carbine for under $300 and maybe putting a red dot of something similar on it...sight it in at 50 yards max....they make a 380 in the carbine as well....only holds 10 rounds......

Konus, Millet, Tasco, Hawke, Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell are all among the scope manufacturers that I am looking at...wow, wouldn't it be great to spend $200 for a scope, $200 for a rangefinder and $200 for a Spotting Scope...all four for $800! with today's technology...what a great deal on all of them..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
Got the first leg of the $500 Challenge in today about an hour ago, a pair of Leupold Mojave BX-3, 8X32mm, flat black finished. Took a few pictures of "What's in the Box Shots"....the MSRP is $350 and Midway had them on sale for $199.99, could not turn down and sale like that...First impression are very positive, small enough to put in a fanny pouch but strong enough power wise to see a very long distance...I have a tree that is about 500 to 600 yards away and can tell you if a bird is in there and what kind of bird, then have a tree like in the dark forest and is good at 25 yards....no problem in adjusting the right lense setting...they do not have dual eye diopter adjustments...but it is positive adjustment and is set one notch at a time...it come with rear cover and front covers, a soft case stretchy type bag that comes with the binos. A carry strap that work well, not a harness like the Zeiss or a very thin strap like the Redfield Rebels have...I will me my own out of florescent nylon string.

But they are very impressive and there is difference between the BX-1 and BX-3.....the BX-3 are similar to the Zeiss Terra and not quiet as good as the Vortex Vipers that I have...Again I am going to state that all optics are getting better and better over time....

See pictures
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
in the previous post you said they were camo. was that an order error?

looks like a nice rugged bino. congrats
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
Yari - Sorry, Yes, I did say they were camo...the camo one were $220 and I was trying to keep it under $200...my mistake, sorry...just getting old and forgetful....need a road map to my ladder stand...and tie it to my smart phone....LOL....and tie the phone to me.....

They are rugged but not as much as the Zeiss are...about the same size and the Zeiss with the Redfield's being about 10% larger....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
that's ok bo. blame it in the pain meds
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 02:22:59 AM »
So when the knee allows me to, I have three pair of binos to review...have already gone out on the deck and patio and set all three pair up to compare them..tell you what those BX-3 are awful bright and sharp..crisp and extremely clear....so is the Zeiss ED Terra...both are 8X32mm....the Redfield Rebels are 10X32mm. All three pairs are very good binos, for cost have to go with the Rebels. But spend a few buck more and look for sale on Leupold Mojave BX-3 Bino and buy those...got the Zeiss ED Terra to my door for $172, the Redfield Rebels for $122, and the Leupold BX-3 delivered for $200...

Glass is getting better and cheaper....

Cannot wait to get out and drive and take these binos to the woods with me.....

Yari - Slowly getting better and better and slowly coming off the pain meds, but I can blame some of the post of the meds...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad