New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: cabin bound  (Read 378 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
cabin bound
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:37 PM »
heading up to the cabin in the AM. this weather is a mess. the weekend looks worse than the next couple days. it's been so wet. the plan is to spray the clover and plant some sunflower seeds. the planting will be a long shot. if it's not wet on the way up, i will pick up fertilizer also.

i have no idea if i need to cut fields. i will find out in the AM. i have no clue when i will get up again w/ family coming all of June

could i be more wishy washy? i hate not having a hard plan. good luck with plots all. looks like another challenging year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: cabin bound
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
Hope you get time to get things done . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
Sounds like my trips up north. I always have plans but more often than not they will change based on whatever I walk into once I get there. Joys of having a remote cabin. LOL
NRA Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »
Enjoy your long weekend and relax. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you can get some work done.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season is coming
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
sending sun shine your way
time to get ready for hunting season

dave 1211

Online yari

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
well, overall a decent trip. i did get the clover sprayed thursday. the broadleaf was already wilting. the grass wasn't, but that normally takes a while. i'm a little concerned that some of the clover was also wilting. that is a new one. hopefully it bounces back

i couldn't plant. it was way too wet. the sunflowers were already a year old so i just broadcast them. i don't expect anything, but i figure the geese would be happy. i had my first family of geese hatch on the new pond. 3 little ones less than a week old

plenty of storm damage and over 7" of rain. i didn't bring a saw so i had to push 4 trees off the plots and 3 more in the yard. lots of trees had to be cut off the roads to. glad someone did that before i got there ##$%#115

i disced and dragged one field. the winter oats didn't come up this spring. i plan to plant that one end of june weather and time permitting.

it is black fly weekend and it lived up to it's reputation. i left plenty of blood up there. if i didn't find a headnet i would have come home yesterday. man they are nasty. THEY EAT DEET FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER. ><(( ><(( spray doesn't affect them.

enjoy your memorial weekend 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
black flies are just winding down here..they are nasty...I lucked out and got my soy beans in about a week ago...just dried up enough and off and on rain since...pretty much perfect for germinating..hopefully you get back up to some drier weather soon

Online yari

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:12 PM »
good to hear from you gander. i hope all is well

last night was tough. all the poison from the black fly bites caught up w/ me. had a nasty headache and itching all night. funny thing is i got off easy this year
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
Sounds like you had a descent weekend other than those pesky black flies.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Online yari

Re: cabin bound (UPDATE)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
heading up to the cabin in the AM. this weather is a mess. the weekend looks worse than the next couple days. it's been so wet. the plan is to spray the clover and plant some sunflower seeds. the planting will be a long shot. if it's not wet on the way up, i will pick up fertilizer also.

i have no idea if i need to cut fields. i will find out in the AM. i have no clue when i will get up again w/ family coming all of June

could i be more wishy washy? i hate not having a hard plan. good luck with plots all. looks like another challenging year
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online yari

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
what a mess. first, i didn't take off my rain gear for 2 days. so much for the forecast AGAIN!!! it's been 4 weeks since i was up. the fields were over my head in places. i was in 1st gear and high rpms and the bush hog couldn't keep up. it is a poor job, but that's all i could do. i did re-cut some areas. i also cut 1.5 acres of winter wheat for the deer. they should have that cleaned up when i get up to plant that field.

the 1.5 acres i planted went well. there was .75" of rain on it this weekend so it should come up great.

i also worked up a .75 acre field to plant next time up. unfortunately, that will be another 4 weeks so i'm sure i will have another mess.

as for deer. i saw 6 does and ZERO fawns. since there were no bear taken last year w/ the roads closed, that makes more fawn eaters than normal. i hope the does just had them hidden, but it's late for that. only i yearling spike

i did get 3 cams out on minerals and cut wheat

the apple tress look great. i'm hoping there isn't any big wind. it could be a bumper crop

good luck to everyone. it's time to get fall plantings scheduled and pray for decent weather
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad