New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Double day  (Read 861 times)

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Double day
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
     I had my son, Andrew, out for youth season which was two days and he wanted to take one with his compound bow this year. Opening morning of youth season we had a jake come into our decoys and he stuck him with the first arrow, but the bird just jumped up and back down. His second arrow was a clean miss and the third, and last arrow we had, just clipped feathers off his back and then the bird did fly off to never be seen again.
     That same afternoon we hit it again and had four nice toms come in and Andrews first arrow cut the beard off one tom, second and third arrow were miss, but we had a ton of fun. The second day of youth season we just didn't make anything happen.
     Our regular opening day came and my son said he will be taking his shotgun this time and that he wanted to hunt all by himself and try it out. Since I had a couple spots on the same farm that I was positive birds will be at I let him pick the spot he wanted to go and I even let him pick what decoys he wanted to use and off we went, our separate ways before 5:00a.m.
     Andrew was all set and I was also all set up right at 5:00a.m., an hour before first light. I was not really wanting to kill a bird until he got one first, but Andrew told me that morning before we went our own ways that if I get a chance to take one to do so because he just wants a bird dead. I think he was wanting to get even from the youth weekend. lol And he told me not to pass a good bird just because he has not got one yet. I thought to myself, well I must have taught him all the right ways to hunt and he knows hunting is hunting so lets just see how things go.
     I had birds roosted within 75 yards of me and just after fly down I had several hens come out in the field by me. Then I seen a tom and he was at 45 yards and all I could see was his head as he was just over the hill top. As soon as that tom looked my way he went right out of full strut and almost ran into my strutting jake and breeding hen with a feeding hen set up.
     I let him come into the decoys and smashed him with the 12 gauge. However, as soon as I fired I felt my heart drop out of my chest as I was really felling bad that I just got a bird and my son has not yet. I felt a 100% better as right then my phone gets a text from my son saying "You get him." I replied yes he's down. Then he sent me a text saying "Way to go. I coming over now to check him out and see how much bigger mine will have to be to beat you."

The morning hunt ended with some photos and high fives then off to the house. During the day I told Andrew I have a bird on another farm that I am sure we can get this afternoon, but I have never seen him, just heard him gobble many times over the past week. Andrew said lets go get him.
     So that afternoon we are all set up by 3:30p.m. and right at 6:00p.m. we see him and he's about 200 yards from us on a fence row heading away from us. It was a jake, but Andrew said if he will work with us he may take him. So I started calling and he would keep looking at us, but just never really seemed like he wanted to come in and I think the strutting jake had him a little gun shy from coming in.
     This bird made it out to 400 yards from us, but never really lost interest in us either. I kept calling to him and he finally started coming towards us. We worked this bird for well over an hour until he was standing right in front of Andrew at 25 yards. Andrew asked me if he could take the jake and I told him its your hunt and you can take whatever is legal. He didn't waste anytime pulling the trigger and the bird hit the ground hard.
     All smiles and high fives and then Andrew told me that he didn't plan on shooting a jake this year, but the way the whole hunt took place with how long we worked the bird that that made this jake a trophy to him and he was very happy with it. 

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Re: Double day
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
And this was my bird.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Great story and congratulations on both birds , way to go you two .  @--0--0123 @--0--0123 ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
Congrats on both turkeys!  That is one hunt you both will never forget.  Awesome, sound like your boy has been taught right, and has a head on his shoulders.  Good job, Dad!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
Great story. This is a season you wont forget congrats to both of you!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
Congrats to you both!!! You have taught your boy well.

@--0--0123 ##$%#11
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
that's great action for this time of the season. congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
Congratulations to both of you and great story!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
Congrats to both of you especaily Andrew not just for killing his first bird but also for knowing what hunting is about- You done a nice job teaching him the right way. He's on the right path IMO!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
Sounds like a great couple of days over in Hoosierville for you guys - congrats!  Sounds like your son is going to turn into quite the hunting machine - keep him on that path!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 06:12:02 AM »
Awesome story, congrats to both of you on a pair of nice birds!

New Page 3

Google Ad