New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Last 308 Winchester  (Read 2487 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Last 308 Winchester
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
very sharp. i'd be afraid to scratch it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Yari - Thanks - I have custom rifles that cost a lot more than this C-C...have some Japan Weatherbys that have a soft shiny stock and barrel, back in the 80's that cost a little over a grand back then...they go to the woods with me!! I don't shy away from taking any rifles I own to the woods...sure over the next few years it will get Character Marks on it for sure, but I don't have any safe queens.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
Yari - Thanks - I have custom rifles that cost a lot more than this C-C...have some Japan Weatherbys that have a soft shiny stock and barrel, back in the 80's that cost a little over a grand back then...they go to the woods with me!! I don't shy away from taking any rifles I own to the woods...sure over the next few years it will get Character Marks on it for sure, but I don't have any safe queens.....

my dad has a .300 weatherby from the 60-70's. it use to be pretty. after several trips to ID, it's still pretty, but many character marks from horses and such. i hate to shoot that mule
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »
Yari - If your Dad has a Weatherby from the 60's-70's it is made by Sauer & Sons company of Germany! My are very beautiful as well, but all four of mine Mark V are made in Japan...and Have a Vanguard that was made by Howa. In my opinion, the earlier Wea's were a piece of art compared to the Jap Wea's. The Wea folks will argue they are the same but they are really not. I have held both of them in my hands and tell you that the Sauer made a great rifle and still does....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
bo- i though it was german made. it's a beauty even w/ the character marks. i remember when he bit the bullet and forked over the money for it. it was a huge deal in our house because of the cost and that it was a Wea

i have a couple pre-japan browning A-5 shotguns. i can really tell the difference on those to
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
Well it is done...got up early this morning and got started on it...took off the picatinny rail clean off all the surfaces and remounted using Locktite. Torqued it down to 45 inches lbs using the fat wrench. let is setup for three hours. Took the stock off again and adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 lbs or close to it...now it feels like a trigger..love the way Cooper does it triggers. it has set screws that screw onto the adjustment screws...great idea...since this is my 9th Cooper, was not hard to do. Reassembled it stock to the receiver screws, using my standard 55 inch lbs on the back screw and 65 inch pounds on the front screw......level it back up...

Finally mounted and bore sighted the Vortex Viper using the Burris Extreme Rings...Med height...could have used the low rings but medium fits me better. check the eye relief, is about 3.25". Check the level again against Earth Level...made sure before bore sighting it that the rifle, scope are both lined up with good old Mother Earth.....torqued the rings down to 20 inch lbs, Vortex states that 18 inch pounds is their spec for tightening down ring screws to their scopes....finally bore sighted. Did install the 3" sun shade, but took it off, it look to weird with it on....re-adjusted the zero stop of the scope.

So see pictures of it mounted and any comment are welcome...enjoy....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
A few more pictures.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
very nice setup. congrats
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 02:59:56 AM »
Yari - I purchased a Browning A5 many years ago when I lived in Atlanta....it has a 30" barrel!! wholy cow is thing long....but the reason why I bought it was that my Uncle Bill had old Browning from the 50's that would knock a crow (and he hated crows) out of the sky 50 yards up..but he amazing feats with it is the reason why I bought it....for me, have not put a box through it....kicks like a mule using those 3" high brass shells....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
i used both my A5 extensively. one for upland birds and the other for geese. the goose gun i believe has a 32".

both kick like a mule. i bought a benelli the day after i shot one for the first time. it is sooo much more shoulder friendly. i'm sure i would have had shoulder surgery if i shot sporting clays w/ the A5 any more. 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Yari - At one time ago, I have the Marlin Goose Gun...it had a box magazine and the barrel was 36" long, a monster of a gun..cheap wood, but cannot complain, it performed flawless for me....wonder who has it now...humm.... ##$%#1119

I went out and looked at a shotgun to replace my Mossberg 835 and after a couple of years, went ahead and bought two Benelli's. Got the Super Black Eagle and a Super Nova..they both almost look alike...both have Nikon Camo Turkey Scopes mounted on them (the same model) and both have pistol grip and the Patternmaster Choke .670...the SBE II has the 26" barrel and the SN has the 24"....

Yes both of them are shoulder friendly compared to other shotguns that I own/had....   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:25:38 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
bo- i'm not sure the length, but i know what you are talking about. my dad has a couple 10ga single shots that resemble that. functional, but no appeal
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:44 AM »
10 gauge blows my mind and I cringe at the thought of it against my shoulder!!! You are right about that, functional - but no appeal!! Ouch...

Well my Redding Dies, Frankford Ammo boxes, Vortex Cant Level, Black Hills 223 ammo, 75 gn re-manufacturer gn, and some more Berger's 168 grain, Nosler 165 Accubonds plus a few more items in the order are due in today...Yippie..  --09--0
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
enjoy the new toys
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
Well how many of you know the type of guy who takes a reloading manual to the Hospital with him?...I guess I am in the right place - the hospital!!! Like Yari said, I need to see a Doctor...did you say Docter!!! the German Scope manufacturer! I will see one that is going to replace my left knee real soon....like within a week! Ouch!!! Going from bone on bone pain to incision pain, big difference!! The Therapist Drill Sargent wants me to walk out of the operating room and into my room.....LOL...just kidding but for the 1.6 Days I will be in there, will be focusing on some new load data from the Manual I will have with me....

Am looking for to getting this behind me and heading to the range with the new 308 Colt-Cooper and the new Savage 10BA Stealth, in 6.5 CM...heck it will be middle of July before I can get out to the range!! will be studying some new loads for the 308 Win. There are a bunch of new powders out there that I want to buy and try...

We have Work weekend coming up and I want to be a functioning part of that, we have work to do and food plots to re-work. Those loggers did leave a mess behind them...just got to get the camp area ready for the up and coming season....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad