New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally hitting the woods!  (Read 2289 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Finally hitting the woods!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
Keep at it MBH  you 'll get you one!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
Made it out again on Saturday.   Things were pretty slow most of the day.  Only saw 3 hens until the last hour of the day, then it seemed like everything came out to play.  The darn tom was still henned up and would not come in to me.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
looks like you had plenty of entertainment. are you done now?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
Yari, Mike has until the end of the month to tag his bird. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
louis-WI only gives you one week unless there are tags left over after the draw. i wish we had a longer season so weather wasn't such a big issue
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »
Yari, here's a link to our Michigan DNR spring turkey hunting digest.  Pay attention to pages 11 & 12.  Shows all the seasons available.  Basically, you have one season in April, and another in May.  The April season is also split, depending on your hunting location.  Whether public land or private, makes a difference, too.  I normally hunt during May, but this year, I got a license for April.  Not completely sure if I erred in telling the clerk which hunt I wanted, or maybe she just misunderstood.  Regardless, it worked for me, as I got my longbeard on opening day, April 17.  It was a short but very sweet hunt.  I took the first pic of my bird at 7:18 am. 

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Spring_Turkey_Digest_443091_7.pdf
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
My season runs until May 31. 

I hunted last night for a few hours. I saw 11 turkeys, 9 of which were males, three were really nice toms. I'm not sure if any of them were repeat passerbys.

This season is frustrating me. The birds are not really responding to calls or decoys. I am hearing gobbles but not in response to my calls as they had in the past. Calling seems to make them go silent and I have tried different ones each day in the field. The few with hens are showing no desire to leave them.

I am seing a lot of birds, I am struggle to figure out how to get them to come into range.

I had a hen come in last night and spend probaly 30-40 minuts feeding about 30 yards out. I wonder if the males have become call shy or were shot at earlier in the season which has made them more leary.  I do not know how hard they were hunted on the surrounding properties.

I've got two more weekends to try and figure it out. There has to be one dumb and frisky one out there. LOL
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:06:46 AM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
Good luck MI you are right there has to be one that didn't get the message!! -0078        @--0--0109
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »

I hunted last night for a few hours. I saw 11 turkeys, 9 of which were males, three were really nice toms. I'm not sure if any of them were repeat passerbys.

This season is frustrating me. The birds are not really responding to calls or decoys. I am hearing gobbles but not in response to my calls as they had in the past. Calling seems to make them go silent and I have tried different ones each day in the field. The few with hens are showing no desire to leave them.

I am seing a lot of birds, I am struggle to figure out how to get them to come into range.

I had a hen come in last night and spend probaly 30-40 minuts feeding about 30 yards out. I wonder if the males have become call shy or were shot at earlier in the season which has made them more leary.  I do not know how hard they were hunted on the surrounding properties.

I've got two more weekends to try and figure it out. There has to be one dumb and frisky one out there. LOL
Sounds like they are call shy , I had the same problem until I went to using a Full strutting Tom ( Mobile B ) , and no calls the boss Toms just can't stand that decoy in their area and come in for a last fight .  @--0--0109 ##$%#113 ##$%#115
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
louis- wow that is a lot of zones and seasons. seems like micro managment. i do like the last season being  a month long in some zones

thx 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:14:38 PM »
yeah, I like the 234 hunt.  it's what they call the guaranteed hunt.  you're guaranteed to get a tag.  no draw involved.  doesn't guarantee you're gonna get a bird, lol.
NRA Life Member.

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 08:30:51 PM »

Sounds like they are call shy , I had the same problem until I went to using a Full strutting Tom ( Mobile B ) , and no calls the boss Toms just can't stand that decoy in their area and come in for a last fight .  @--0--0109 ##$%#113 ##$%#115
May have to break out the strutter this weekend. Willing to try anything to make something happen. Wost case they still don't come in.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »
I hunted last Saturday and did go with the strutting tom decoys. Once again I had 3 toms in different parts of the field and none of them would accept the challenge.  They gobble like crazy but as soon as I call they go quiet. Sat I only made a few soft calls. They wander all around me but will not come in.  I've expended my whole bag of tricks this year and just can't seem to make it happen.

I may just go out and sit with no decoys or calls and just bope to nab a passerby.

I'm at a loss. I've only one weekend left but apparently have not thought far enough outside the box thus far.

I have more pictures from the field  but have been to busy to get them posted, I'll get them up when I get a breather.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
Have you tried fanning? Crawling towards them with a fan in front of you or just working a fan back and forth from a stationary position?
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
I was having the same thought as HM.  Go out to YouTube and check out the "turkey reaper" videos.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad