New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally hitting the woods!  (Read 2709 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Finally hitting the woods!
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
My turkey season opened on Monday and I am hitting the woods for the first time in the AM.

Looking forward to some quality nature time.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Re: Finally hitting the woods!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
Good hunting and be careful! Bag the big bird!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
Best of luck , have a safe hunt .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
good luck, Mike, I hope you have a great hunt, and get a nice tom.  Looks like the weather is going to be nice.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
good luck. they are still strutting here
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
Great day in the woods. Saw several ducks, about a dozen deer, cranes, geese and turkeys.

Gout to my blind before dawn and had one roosted in a tree litteraly above my blind. Of course I did not know this until He saw me and flushed from the tree. Lots of gobbling early. I set up a single hen and a jake decoy. Early on I had two hens and a jake come buy. The jake was young and gobbling like crazy but did not come into the decoys.  A short while later I saw a nice tom across the field. He didnt seem to pay any mind to the decoys or my calls.

Around mid afternoon I saw another tom acress the field. He was gobbling to my calls but continued down the firld until he was out of view. I could still hear him gobbling so I kept throwing out the occasional call. Finally it sounded like he was comjng back closer. I eventually saw him working his way back to me and now be had another tom or jake with him (or maybe they were different birds). They came up to about 120 yards and then just stopped, went silent and appeared to bed down. They sat there for about an hour. When they finally started moving again they worked their way up a smallrise and as soon as they saw the decoys they turned and slipped out behind the rise.  This was a new one on me, I've had birds hang up but never bed down like that.

After this I pulled the jake decoy. These birds were a lot bigger so I would have thought they would run in and challenge a young one.

About 10 minutes after pulling the jake I had a hen surprise me by appearing from behind me about 2 yards from my blind.

Around 6pm I had another single tom work his way buy but seemed to get sketchy and leave as soon as be saw my hen decoy. Maybe be was one of the same birds from earlier.

At that point I had been out three for over 12 hours so decided to pack it in and get some dinner. I had not intended to stay out all day but it seemed like every time I was thinking of leaving I would see more birds.

I think I will leave the jake decoy out of the mix, this is not the first time I felt it hurt me rather than helped.

The birds werentt super responsive to calls and I'm not sure how hard they were hunted in the area durjng the earlier season but I saw more males today then I did all last season. Combine that with everything else I saw and it was a great day in the field.

I did not go out early today. Thinking of heading back for a midafternoon hunt. Woried they have now become weary of my decoys. Hunting a big field the decoys usually are a big help in pulling them in.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
Sorry for the poor quality but here is a cell phone pic through my binoculars of the birds sitting in the long grass.  This is a small swale of lowland swampgrass the sticks out into one part of the field.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
never saw them lay down in a field unless they were trying to hide. sounds like you had good action. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »
One tip have you ever tried a strutting Tom with your decoys , for the last 5 years I have just used a mobile B and have scored every year with jkust it and no calling .   ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
Birds do what birds do. I went to a smaller jake this year called the HS Strut Sneaky Pete. It's been around for awhile. I thought last year a nice tom hung up when he saw the jake I had which had a fairly large body. I was thinking that he saw a good size jake and didn't feel like getting his butt kicked. Not sure but decided to go with a jake that any tom would think he could beat the tar out of. Who knows for sure but you have to go with your gut and try it. I did kill a nice tom this year coming into my set up. A feeding hen, standing hen and Sneaky Pete. Good luck and stay with them. Sounds like a good day in the woods.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:59:22 PM by Bearclaw »
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Sounds like an interesting day, Mike.  I sometimes wonder if decoys really help.  I have had birds coming in from a distance, and hang up once they saw the decoy.  Didn't seem to matter if it were a jake or hen decoy. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:15:32 AM »
Sounds like a real god day in the woods and I'm sure some much needed "down" time. Keep at it.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:25 AM »
Hunted a few hours in the afternoon on Sunday.  I needed a day to sleep in and after knocking the bird off of the roost on Saturday I'm not sure I wanted to risk it again on Sunday.

Shortly after I got there I had a single hen walk up through my decoys.    This time I set two hens and left the jake out of the mix.

It was a pretty slow day right up until 30 minutes to end of shooting hours (08:09pm).    One tom and a few deer came in and made it to around 175 yards before the end of hunting hours.  He was following a hen which I believe kept him from coming in.

I took my camera with the telephoto lens this time so I managed to get some decent pics of him way out in the field.

Saw this hen walk right through my decoys.  Once again she came from behind me.  I heard her coming today but didn't know what it was until she made it past my window.  Once I knew she was alone I managed to snap this pic before she went into the woods.

He is probably 170 yards out.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
that's a good pic for 170 yards. are you done now?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »
No, I can hunt until the 31st.  I'll be back out next weekend.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

New Page 3

Google Ad