New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Zeiss Terra ED - Review Forthcoming  (Read 1605 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Zeiss Terra ED - Review Forthcoming
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 05:17:26 PM »
that always amazes me. how we can ship parts back and forth and still make a profit. in some cases, the completed items are only a few dollars. i would love to see the numbers

remember the old trail timers w/ the string. animals had to break the string and you get 1 reading. my buddy has that business and still sells them, mostly to bear guides. he sent all his parts to china and sold them for a couple bucks to retailers. i never figured out how he made a buck @--0--0117 @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
Found a suitable case to use for the Zeiss Terra Binos...nobody had one and was browsing SWFA website with this pouch pop up...decided to by it for $17 and change......

It sure looks similar to the Zeiss Diafun case....

These Terra ED Binos were MSRP for $400, wonder why they put a better case with them...this is my complaint with the manufacturers even with Swarovski...my EL came with a flimsy case and some don't come with any case at all....just glad I found this case for under $20.....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:57:40 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »
Looks like you got a great deal on the Binos Bo. Glad you like them and thanks for all the info I need it when I decide to get a larger Bino. These look lik ethe right size for me.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
it always amazes me when they go cheap on the necessities on high end stuff and the lower end stuff has nice amenities

nice purchase
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:05 AM »
Blue - You have me interested now, what larger binos are you thinking about?? more power and larger objective lense?? 10x42??.....the reason why I am focused on smaller (not compact) binos are because I have been using them since the late 70's. I know how to use them and always take a pair with me to the woods to hunt...when I hunted out west for 19 trips, for the first few years, used the 10x40's and then later switched to 10x32 and 10x30.....depending on where you hunted was the determining factor on what I took with me...and the last 10 years used the 10x30mm Zeiss Diafuns. Then went on a couple of Safaris and use the 10x32 Swarovski's EL's...

Now with most of our leased land down in GA, clear cut, will go back to using 10X for the next few years....

The Zeiss Terra ED, think I was in the right place at the right time for them!!

So just curious on what you are thinking...please share your thoughts....

Yari - Cannot agree with you more...you would think that the low end equipment would be the ones that would not have any accessories!! 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
Well bo I have a set of Steiner predators 8x22 that I keep in my hunting pack. I have used them quite a bit turkey hunting and some while deer hunting. I want to start using them more be acutually wearing them around my neck- right now I dig them out when I need them. So that being said I what to move up to say a 10X32 or 10X40. I need something light weight cause I have to used to wearing them- I just don't like them around my neck or on my chest- I need to make myself do it. The 8X22's are great for where I hunt in Md but in Pa I can stretch out some on the fields and gas lines. The Zeiss Terra ED sounded just right 8x32 and 18oz. I am going to Bass Pro in the next month and try some out unless I find the Terras at your price!!! Thanks
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 04:34:48 AM »
Blue - Thanks for the info on the Steiner's...I too have a pair of them but they are their Peregrine 8x42...bought them from Bass Pro and got them for $200 off as an introduction a Bass Pro CC....but they are very sharp and clear, very little color distortion around the edges. All in all glad I bought them...but they are a little too heavy to carry around your neck...just my opinion...they do fit good in my day pack.

For over 20 years I carried a pair of Leupold first Binoculars 9x25mm....did not this but Leica made them for Leupold...but I wore them everywhere, They are very light weight (you never knew you have them on) clear and sharp. They still have today what I have never seen in any binos that both eyes have diopter adjustments, not jut the right eye like all the others I have, even the old Swar EL's have just one eye....but I needed a bigger pair so I started looking bino that were a hair bigger and found the Zeiss Diafun 10x30mm for $300, that was years ago. For many years, they were my bread and butter binos...they are still sharp and clear...

When I ran across the Terra ED for $165 ($172 to my door) I could not turn them down, the MSRP is $399 !!! If I remember correctly, they were Under Armor that were being discontinued. In looking at the case they came in, it had the Under Armor logo on the case but nothing on the Binoculars themselves that would lead you to believe that they were Under Armor......I think on that day, on that time was in the right place at the right time....They were my 13th pair and the Redfield Rebel was my 14th pair....I did donate a pair of Vortex Diamondback to the Summerblast Benefit a couple of years ago....I'm still big Vortex fan....

One pair, I have that is impressive that does not get the attention, are the Canon's IS (Imagine Stabilize) 10x30mm...these are really good binos for the money, I just happen to buy a refurbish pair directly from Canon and they are every bit as good as any 10x30mm that I have in the inventory. You really don't knee the to engage the IS feature to after 200 yards, is what I found out by using them at the range looking at everything on the 600 yard range and the 300 yard range. On the short 300 yard range, you get a chance to look out to about 750 yards and 400 of that is in the woods, you can see critters and plenty of birds....after you engage the IS feature, the image is locked down and you can tell what it is....these are for the person that has the extreme shakes, but if you are like any other person you can instantly tell the difference with you engage the IS feature. The IS take 2 AA batteries to operate and most of the time to save weight I use them without the IS feature, in other words don't install the batteries to operate, this saves weight...2 AA batteries don't sound like much but when you are wearing this all day long in Colorado or New Mexico, chasing Elk and/or Mule Deer, every ounce you can save you will like it at the end of the day....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »
Thanks Bo great info.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
Got the Terra HD Case in today and it is the same case as the Diafun Case, I would not be surprised if it isn't a old one never used...not a bad case material or size....not bad for $21 to my door....see picture....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
it's good when things work out. it's not always the case w/ mail order
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
Yea, I agree with you...I have stuck on a couple of things but if you do your research, you can certainly minimized the risk! I was browsing the SWFA site and these case was specifically saying that this case was for the Terra Binoculars...I swear I think they are left over Diafun case.....

Took them outside this morning at dawn, and sat there and looked at both close up in the dark, spotted a cat in the woods, watched it for a while....quickly looked at houses and trees 500+ yards and had to refocus them a bit, which is not unusual for that distance...the Leupold Compact 9x25mm the ones made by Leica for Leupold, for some reason you could use your eye to focus on objects from 25 yards to infinity....

These Terra ED are still very good binos. I took four pair of binos out of the Deck Rail and set them up...Took the Vortex Vipers HD, the Zeiss Terra ED, the Redfield Rebels, the Zeiss Diafuns...first thing I do is to take a Zeiss Wipe and clean the lenses of all the binos...then I have fun watching...was out there around 5:30 AM this morning waiting on the dawn...The Vipers were the best one I had out there wow, they are almost as good as my Swarovski EL's...almost...The three pairs of remaining Binos all were very good, but for $115 bucks the Redfield Rebels are an outstanding value in my opinion for what you get...I would stick them in my fanny or back pack to take to the stand or blind with me would not bang them up a bunch, where as the Zeiss Diafun and Terra you could wear and bang up and no worries about them being bumped......

With Knee replacement surgery this week, will have plenty of time to do lots of testing of binos....and watching the hunting shows......   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Good luck with the surgery this week Bo!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
Thanks - and will have plenty of time to concentrate on looking thought binoculars and spotting scopes....LOL....but will shoot to be at the range the weekend of the 8th of July.....then go every week.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad