New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Zeiss Terra ED - Review Forthcoming  (Read 1450 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Zeiss Terra ED - Review Forthcoming
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
Earlier this week found on MidwayUSA a pair of Zeiss Terra 3D Binoculars 10X32mm for $170 (Regular MSRP $399), suppose to be a closeout deal....they should arrive today or tomorrow and a short review the first or many to come shortly, I hope. Will use them all year long and will give you guys a full review towards the end of the year...stay tuned...

Was looking this morning and those same binoculars are not on special anymore...just through checking my CC statement and Midway invoice, and it still reads $172 that was charged to my CC.....$2 round up for the NRA....

The Back Story - You know when your first look at a product or something it will slate your view one way or another. About 3 years ago, a range buddy (Jack) of mine and Billy's loved our Zeiss Conquest scopes we had on our rifles. At one time, this was my favorite scope for $400 and it was Zeiss quality, it was hard to beat for the money....now day Vortex products have my attention. This range buddy, Jack, have bought a good used rifle and he had put a Zeiss Terra on it, because they had "superseded" there Conquest line with the lower cost Terra line. Heard that the same scope (old Conquest) is made by Meopta these days). Well one look though this scope and you could tell that it was not a quality Zeiss product, nothing like the Conquest line!!! Wow, I was disappointed, but he could have gotten a bad one. Jack told me and Billy that he was going to send it back and get another one. The new one was much better and almost near the Conquest line....since then I had looked through and at Terra products and was fairly happy with them so we will see what these new Binoculars will bring..... 

Will post some pictures of the new binoculars...I think I got a good deal on them at $170...I hope so or I will send them back for a refund.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Zeiss Terra ED - Review Forthcoming
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
Sounds like a good deal, I will be looking for your review after you give them a good look, see and feel after you get your hands on them.  ##$%#11
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Sounds good Bo I'll be waiting for your review .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
Darn it last time i read one of these, on the Vortex optics I ended up with one.  LOL

Looking fwd to your review!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Nice looking forward to your review Bo...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:32:28 PM »
zeiss has quality products. you can't go wrong at that price. sounds like a mis-marked price. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
This is the first of a few in home reviews....attach are a few pictures of both old Diafun and new Terra ED binoculars....they both weigh in about 18 ounces. The new Terra on my scales weighed in at 18.3 ounces and the old Diafun weighed in at 18.1 ounces. Not much difference. Have not been sleeping well the last couple of night because of the Doc Visit that happen this morning, so I was up at 2:15 this morning on the back deck with both pairs of binoculars starting my test. I must admit, it was very nice weather here now and it was not that cool so I sat outside with my digital camo shorts and vortex t-shirt on!!! Remember the old Diafun at 10X30mm and the new Terra ED are 10x32mm....The Diafun are around a 2004 and cost me $325 and then new Terra cost me $172 delivered (MSRP is $400). When hunting with the Diafuns, you never knew you were wearing them they are so light.

As the daylight approached, I started looking at light gathering ability at different distances. Had both the Leica 1200 and the Bushnell Bone Collector rangefinders out there with me. They are still 1 yard difference in the measurement no matter what distance you measure...the Leica is always one yard longer than the Bushnell, don't know why but it doesn't matter to me...but both pair of binoculars on the rail and I also spotted a transformer 255 yards from the house and a 79 yard log. Down in back of the house are woods that is a good test for binoculars looking into the woods - how far can you see into the woods?...after going back and forth, looking at the same objects as it got lighter and lighter, have to give the first nod to the new Terra ED binos....

What was in the box...not much...the new Terra did not come with a case, only a soft velvet drawstring pouch...a owner manual, and a very nice binocular Harness that has Under Armour embroidered into the strap. some flimsy objective covers. I removed most everything and put it back into the original packing box....I will put a fluorescent string and use it as my strap unless I find a good one...will find a small case for them...but for $172 bucks to my door, these were quiet the bargain for me...cannot believe they had these marked down so low...lucky me...

Will check them out again this weekend and early next week with some more pictures....

They are new and stiff to bend, but that is a good thing, right eye diaopter adjustment, left eye fixed....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »
looks like the old pair has seen some hard use. nice work. most folks don't get much real use out of their toys. they are just ornaments for their mantels. much like the city folks that buy a big 4WD truck and never get off the pavements. good to see tools being used like they were intended
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:56 AM »
Yari - You are so right, my Tundra truck stays dirty and most of the dirt comes from hunt camp....Georgia Red Clay!!! The ATV has got mud since last year. I try and wash it down once a year....

The old Zeiss Diafuns were used from 2004 up till about 2012 or 2013, not sure..but then I started getting some binoculars. Actually got my Swarovski EL's in around 2002 or 2003, the picked up the Diafuns a year or two later....anyway, the Diafuns are still very good today. Just like my Leupold's I got back in 1981. These little binos (9X25mm) folded up nicely to fit in your pocket. Each eye had its own adjustment...did not find out until 95 that Leica made these binos for Leupold!! Used these binos for Archery and Black Powder seasons for many years. Today they are still very good binos....

Went outside about 6:00 AM and watch the sun come up comparing the binos like I did yesterday morning and try to focus on medium to long range objects early in the morning as the light gets better and better......Still giving the new Terra ED a nod over the old Diafuns, maybe because they are newer and they are 32mm and the Diafuns are 30mm. Could that be the difference?? Will play with them more today and report back in....but I got lucky on the price, that is the only reason why I bought them...At $400 they will be a lot more pairs of binos to choose from.....but at $300 a pair they would be a good buy and at under $200, they were a steal!!!!

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
32 vs 30 mm. that's less than 10% difference, but might be enough to make it noticable
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
Yari - Yes I agree completely, that is why I mention it.....Went out this morning and did a repeat test of the binos, the nod still goes to Zeiss...sitting out on my deck with a good hot cup of coffee and watching the sun come up and listening to the birds is awesome...from dead quiet to birds singing their little heads off.....it is a good time to be up...last night stayed up till it got dark and hobble to get my binos out on the patio to do an evening test...totally different...I would give the nod to the Terra ED for the last couple of minutes of night simple because of the 32 versus 30mm....man they are close..Will do the same thing tonight.

I am a sucker for a good deal, went and ahead and ordered some a pair of Viking Solutions Steel plates with stands for the Ga Hunt Club so we can all practice at 200 and 300 yards...maybe...LOL....also order some more binos...a pair of Redfield's Rebel 8x32mm binos for $115....another review will be forthcoming on those...LOL....

Knee replacement surgery is schedule for the end of next month so we have a month to do some "on-the-deck-testing"....just worn the sucker out!! going in and under for a new bionic knee....will change my handle from BoBallistic to BionicBo...LOL....will not be on TH much for the month of June, if I am, you cannot believe anything I say, will be under the influence...LOL...If I do post, will be only one word or two at the most....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
i'ma sucker for a deal to. i really need to dial back on fishing gear, hunting gear, hunting clothes.... i'll never use what i have
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
Sat both the old Diafuns and the new Terra ED binos on the counter and went over them with a fine tooth comb....I know the weather the Diafuns have been through. One of the eye cups pop off a few years ago and after re-installing it and putting a dab of lock-tite on it, it has not come off yet!! so that is a good sign. Both are very similar in design, the right eye is has the only diopter adjustment. The Terra seam to be the hardest to adjust, maybe because it is newer than the Diafun...LOL...daaa.....

I wish the Terra came with storage case. The Diafun came with adequate one that I use to store them. Have a ton of the Zeiss Wipes that I use on them to check out the glass. I have use the Zeiss Wipes on some of my many pairs of glasses around the house and they leave a slight film on the glasses if you hold them a certain way to the light you can see it but on both pair of the binos the Zeiss Wipes works great....I will go ahead and get a storage case for it and maybe a carry strap only if I can find one for it...all in all still impressed with the Terra ED, no matter if they are the Under Amour Special of not.....They, the Terra ED came with a harness but I am not a fan of them, have not use one very much, so would like to hear from anybody that is a fan of these binocular harnesses.......

Sad to report that during my inspection the other night, saw a "China" stamped on the casing. Don't know whether Zeiss shipped the Glass and Case and they assembled them there or is the whole bino made in China?? Sort of reminds me of my Puma Knifes. Split Toe and I got our first real good hunting know back in the early 70's and I have always loved Puma Knifes. Made from German Steel....and have been buying one or two a year for many years. Was shocked to read "China" printed on the box? That got me to thinking and doing some research. Puma Knifes that are SGB are assembled in China. It is German Steel and parts, just shipped over to China to assemble. Wonder if that is the case with the Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars??? 

The new Redfield Rebel 8x32mm will be here tomorrow and cannot wait to see what they are all about, a lot of good reviews on them from three different sights and forums......

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:32:14 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
china is the king of assembly. you just have to make sure they are manufacturer parts. china parts can be iffy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 05:49:22 AM »
Yari - I agree and companies have been "outsourcing" their products for many years to be made or assembled there....It makes you think about the salary they pay you AND the cost of benefits that they, your employer, adds up to a substantial amount per hour.....enjoy to also make you think how much are they paying the folks over there. Wow...The Puma knife story was a surprise to Split Toe when I told him about the SGB Puma Knifes, not many folks outside the industry do not know this process, where parts are made in the country of origin, say for example, German, and have them shipped over to China and have them assembled and then shipped them back to their origin or all over the world....I have not complaints about the Terra ED binos, especially at the price I paid for them.

Took them binos out yesterday in the midday sun to look into the woods to see how far they can see into the woods....Very good...the color rendition, where the greens, blues and reds are close to natures own colors. Did not detect any major color distortion. Focus on a Robin (bird) that was 20 ft away from me and it came in very clear but as you get closer, you do lose your depth of field for sure, and the farther you focus out the better you depth of field. Again they are very light and sturdy, built very well and after looking through a Terra Scope about 3 or 4 years ago and was disappointed because it wasn't a typical super Zeiss quality but now with these binos at a very good, great price, they are a good buy for now...still have to get a case and strap for them....

The Redfield's are suppose to be here today along with the two steel targets with stands and certainly the Redfield's are made in China, but Leupold now owns Redfield and you don't know if they have signed a contract with a firm in China to make them over there or now, but at only $115 for them (8x32mm), you probably figured that they are not made in the USA......   

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:04:38 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad