New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Athlon Optics  (Read 1008 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Athlon Optics
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:36:12 AM »
Does anyone on TH own a Athlon Optic product?? MidwayUSA carries many of their products and was looking for a new inexpensive optic product to buy and study/review it for the rest of the year and then report on the product here on TH....

Some of their long range scopes got some good reviews, so I was wondering if anyone here own one of their products...own a Sig-Sauer Tango4 3-12X x 44mm, 30mm tube scope and was looking at some of their products when Athlon popped up....

Also Sightmark Scopes and optical products, I own a night vision Sightmark Proton XT. All of the Sightmark are brand new this year and they seamed to be in the range of Vortex Crossfire II pricing!

Both manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty, but is it a limited lifetime or is it transferable warranty similar to a Leupold type warranty......

Baraska is looking good these days with good pricing...probably made in China products, not sure, they also have been getting some good reviews.....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:09:30 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Athlon Optics
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
Bo maybe you should check out the Tract Optics. I would like to see a review that I know is impartial and by someone like you that knows what a really good optic is.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
Have an old Barska red dot I got used when I bought my super Blackhawk.  Now granted it saw some pretty good abuse mounted on a .44 mag, but I can't get the thing to hold zero.  Seems like I had some Athlon binos a bunch of year ago - tossed them in the garbage if I recall correctly.  Both of these are old data points, so filter appropriately.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Mad - Thanks for you input...Wow you had a Barska that took the abuse of your 44 Blackhawk...Wow....I was just wondering if anyone every heard of Athlon Optics becuase MidwayUSA has a ton of them listed and they have been getting mostly good reviews....

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=athlon&userItemsPerPage=48

Some of their prices are so cheap and makes you wonder where have these guys been for so long.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Bo - I gotta apologize, I screwed up in that last reply.  The red dot that came on my SB was a BSA rather than a Barska.  Haven't owned a Barska, but my general impression is that they're in that same league with the BSA stuff.  I have no idea how many .44 mag rounds that BSA red dot endured, but I was never able to consistently hit the mark.  I took it off and put the original rear target sight back on the gun and have been very happy with how it shoots.  I generally consider most of those lower end optics as fair game for a .22 LR, but wouldn't go that route on something that can create a tough environment for it.

Went out to the Athlon website to see if they still offered anything like that old pair of binos I had that I could swear carried that brand.  Didn't see anything - it was a compact 8X30-ish package if I recall correctly (but we now know that isn't a sure thing).  Got some internal fogging or hazing and just pitched them - I didn't pay much at the time so no big deal.  Looks like their low end stuff is now at a price point considerably above that, so certainly possible that they've improved their game.   Sorry I can't be of any help on this one.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
When I was at the range this past Thursday, the guy next to me was looking through my TRACT binoculars that he had never heard of. Then he asked me if I ever heard of Athlon Scopes? I said had heard of them but never look through or heard anything about them...he said that one guy at the range had one mounted on one of his rifles and it was clear as a bell and about half price of a top end Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski....

Are they about equal to Vortex?? According to the Reviews they are and some feel that they are a shade better...now that has my interest....

Just thought I would share this story with my TH family.....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:40:41 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
On my last Range Visit this year, the guy next to me and I was walking down talking about scope and optics and he was telling me about Athlon Optics and how a friend of his who was "in it" was telling him he needed to Get an Athlon scope for his Sharps rifles. His friend was telling him that they were clear as a bell and they were fairly cheap also....

So I have started studying Athlon Optics and Midway USA has a lot of them on their Webpage...so we will see there this will go...but that is another name in a crowded field to keep when you think about replacing your older scope....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:04 AM »
Mad - Yes I agree with you that the Barska and BSA are about the same...as far as quality goes, made in China somewhere....

I notice where Midway has a sale on Athlon Optics....

Just order a TRACT 22 Fire for my CZ455 that currently has a Vortex 2-7X Crossfire II on it...the 22 Fire has a BDC reticule in it...when it get here next week, maybe if they have fresh horses, it might get here today. My shooting buddy Billy, bought a CZ455 after I did and swears it the most accurate 22 LR he owns, and I will ask him what ammo he uses in it. For me, I love the 17HMR that normally stays on it. I don't think I have ever put the 22 LR barrel on it, just the 22 Mag and the 17 on it....I would take a shot at a yote at 150 yards with it the way it sits right now, but with a new scope means more shooting (practicing at the range - yippie) to make sure it is sighted in with the new scope on it....will take some pics and post it here on TH.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
Right before I left, I went ahead and ordered another set of Athlon binoculars a 10x34mm from Cabela's. Went ahead and used all my Cabela's Bucks up. This will be the last ordered that I place with Cabelas....Since Bass Pro shop bought them out, they now can charge a state sales tax where their is no Cabela's store at..here in TN for example, there are no Cabela's stores are physically located, but we do have a number of Bass Pro Shops....so good bye to an old friend, Cabela's.....

But will get these new Athlon Argos 10x34mm before the end of the week.....will start comparing them to other in the $200 and under range....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
The Athlon arrived yesterday and Cabela's shipped me the wrong set!! Went back and looked at my original order and sure enough it was the 10x34mm that I wanted but instead Cabela's sent me the 8x42mm pair.....After getting over the disappointment, decided to open the box and see if I wanted to send these 8x42mm back or kept them....

Well, after unpacking them and putting them through my simple test of looking far away, and at the detail on people's houses 500 yards or more away then when it was getting dark, looking into the woods to see how much light they would pick up. Again this morning it was sort of foggy, and went outside and looked into the dark areas and longer distances and medium distance.....hummm...they are certainly clear, sharp optics....seems like the pick up light and you can see into the woods a long way....for what I paid for them $200, used some of my Cabela's Bucks on these as well....think I will keep them....They are heavier than I wanted....anything under 20 ounces is what I like to used and carry with me...just like the Tract Optics, they are about 26 ounces in weight but not as good of quality as the Tract Toric (10x42mm) is or the Vortex Viper (8x42mm). But they are very good for $200 a good deal and worth every cent.....just like Yari said, in 10 years wonder would will be standing as far as companies goes....

Attached is a picture I took a few minutes ago...these are made in China, have a serial number, and come with a sturdy carrying case. Standard objective and eye covers. Will use them next time I go down to Georgia hunting....along with taking a few slings with me...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Bo - you need to have your wife snap a picture of you with the entire Bo Ballistic Bino collection around your neck (although that might not be possible for a person to stand under all that load?).     Just curious, are those lens covers on the Athlons attached to the binos?  Looks like the objective covers might be hinged & eyepiece just hooks to your strap?
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:32 AM »
Mad - The Lense covers for the new Athlon Argos 8x42mm are the same as everybody's else is...the objective covers are individual and the did not come installed, but separate. The eye cover is one piece that covers both eyes....even though I wear glasses to read and to type on TH, like I'm doing now, I still untwist the eye cups out on the binos.

The carrying case for the Athlon is a sturdy case, not hard and not soft case, stiff nylon I would say.....look at the photo I attached....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:10:44 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
 --7-8-9  a man has got to know his limitations Bo has not gotten to his yet

still like my red fields for deer hunting finding one for turkey hunting where I walk a lot is the fun part
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Dave - I think the Redfield Rebels (8x32mm) are the hidden gem of the whole bunch....I paid $115 delivered, and they are just as good or better than the most of the $200 and under binoculars...I used them hunting this year a few days and they held up good, and they weigh nothing! Only time will tell if they do hold up to the banging around that most binoculars take. I don't baby any of them...just drop them occasionally, bang them around trees, and on the ATV...so yes they are very good for the money and they certainly have my blessing..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=45983.msg693193#msg693193

Posted a review of the Athlon and Bone Collector binoculars. Took both pairs down to GA with me on my last hunt trip of 2017.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad