New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dang, have I aged this much?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Dang, have I aged this much?
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
Got my shoulder mount picked up tonight for the buck I took with my muzzleloader in November.  The negotiations with the war department are underway for a place to hang him.  (Prayers for strength needed, she's tough.)  Took him down to the family room to get a feel for how he might look next to my first deer, from 1980.  Holy cow, that dude hasn't aged well at all, guess it sneaks up on all of us!  Looks like I'll need to get him a bit of a facelift.  Loving wifey suggests I should just put them both in the barn.  I'm feeling bullied, need to go to my safe space . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Dang, have I aged this much?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
Know the feeling.  The Boss takes care of my first buck from 1978, but not the rest.    ##$%#1119

After moving into our retirement house, all bucks are now in a back room.  What gives??    @--0--0117   @--0--0125

Good LUCK on your negotiations with the war department, I feel for you!     @--0--0100   @--0--0105

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
Both of those are stud bucks!  Their antlers have similar features, did you kill them in the same area?  Hope all goes well with the war department  @--0--0137

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
Mine are all in the basement!  I only bring one upstairs if company wants to see my 17 pt buck.  One thing I'm sure, they will never go in the garage, and I will stand my ground.  Way too damp in there.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • summer is coming
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
great looking deer good luck in the war   
time to start the food plots for them deer

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Mad - Those are two good looking bucks..wow, very impressive....now where to hang them???

Luckily, I have a gun room and a supportive boss.....most of them were mounted when she moved in about 20 years ago, since then, I have a couple in the outside garage...

Remember a war is made up of many battles......let all of us know where they and you end up....LOL....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
couple nice looking bucks. my first 2 nice bucks from high school are in the living room and have faded. they get a lot of sun. luckily, my wife likes them where they are. if not, i'd have to remind her they were here before she was. sometimes i get tough. @--0--0105 @--0--0105

good luck on the battle. negotiation is the key to a happy home @--0--0136
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
Ben - those two bucks came from within 5-6 miles of each other, but 36 years apart.  Last year's came from the edge of the Mississippi river, the older one from the bluffs to the east. When the river is high and everything gets pushed out of the bottoms, I'm sure there's quite a bit of gene pool mixing that goes on with the herd that otherwise stays on the bluffs.

That first deer was pretty much just dumb luck, but fortunately here in IL we have a pretty good quality herd so it's not unusual for rookies to get lucky on nice bucks.  It was the Friday of second season, and since I was too sick to go to school (deer fever) I climbed into a stand offered by one of Dad's friends who had filled his tag first season.  At about 9 in the morning I was freezing my backside off & ready to climb down for a little walk to warm up.  Had heard some shots earlier, but saw nothing.  Then starting hearing some hounds sounding off from an area that shouldn't have dogs - in a couple of minutes I see white antler tips bouncing towards me, and was able to squeeze off a shot with Dad's old Model 12 with that deer on the run at about 60 yards.  To my surprise, he dropped.  But then, he bounced back up on his front legs & started crawling towards the edge of the bluff.  Was able to get one into his chest and then a third into his neck which finally brought him to a stop.  Crawled down & walked over to him, realized my first shot had spined him.  Then I see an extra hole, and realize he was actually gutshot too.  Based on the entry wound, I could tell that wasn't mine - went in the wrong side (and I had only fired three shots & accounted for those).  Finally figured it out a day or two later when a couple of yahoos showed up at the house wondering if they could look at "their buck".  One of them admitted he had gutshot it - because it was the only thing he could see between the trees.  Now, I realize I probably would never have seen that buck if it weren't for their actions, but I was pretty ticked at the suggestion that this was "their buck".  They complimented me on the running shot - and I commented that if their dogs had shown up over the hill I'd have taken them out too.  That's when their visit ended. I was a pretty quiet and relatively small 16 year old at the time - when they walked out to their truck my dad just busted out laughing and gave me a big pat on the back - he was still telling that story 20 years later, claims he wasn't able to shut me up after that point.  Those clowns were trespassing, had no business on that property to start with - then to bring in dogs to track a wounded deer (illegal in IL at the time) took quite a bit of either guts or stupidity.  That interaction is usually the first image that comes to mind when I look at that buck on the wall.

I had a classmate up there with me that morning (he was sick too of course), he helped me dress him out & drag him out - fortunately downhill, then decided to go to town to warm up.  My hunting vehicle (and everything else vehicle at the time) was a '64 Olds Dynamic 88 - had a big trunk but still couldn't get the lid closed & drove to town with hooves sticking out the back - was living pretty large that morning for sure.  My classmate went to the bar where our checkstation was & had given everyone the heads up, so half the bar was standing outside waiting when I got there.  Turned out to be the second biggest buck in the county that year - my cousin took top honors with an old heavy beamed 8 pointer.  Despite my dumb luck, of course I thought I was pretty hot stuff at the time . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
That's quite a history on your first buck, Roger.  Stick to your guns, if you can. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
great story. i'd rather be lucky than good anytime
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »
Now that is a good story!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
Good luck in the war room. I had a den when we got married 15 years ago with one mount and lots of antlers and pictures and outdoor knick knacks. She once said that a turkey fan (she says that turkeys are the ugliest bird God ever made) would never go in the den. After my first bird in 2013 she said it could go in there because of all the years I tries and never killed a turkey. Then I killed a second one the following year and it was hung in the den. As of today, there are three longbeard fans and beards with the two from this year scheduled as soon as I mount them. It's been a process but my wife knows how much I love turkey hunting and how hard I do it. She is very supportive but we've come a long way since the no fans allowed time. Hang in there. No pun intended. Pick your battles carefully. lol
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • Good "ole" Days
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
 @--0--0101
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
It's a never ending battle here also, all critters and fish, including the 46" king salmon have been relocated to the camp 160 miles away, I sure do miss them a lot. Therefore, I spend more time at camp than at home. This also reduces the battle time and the critters don't argue with me when I move them from wall to wall, they just appreciate hanging around with me.  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
52 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 52 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
Two great bucks Hoss!! I love the story too. Good luck in your negotiations with the war dept i know they can be tough!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad