New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Early Conversation with Split Toe  (Read 479 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Early Conversation with Split Toe
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 02:11:02 AM »
Mad - Points well taken....you are so right about shooters....so many of them will come down the day before the season starts and shoot their rifles to "check zero" on them. The truth is that they have not shot their rifles since last year when they "Check Zero"!! Split Toe use to reload, that was many moons ago. He and I use to exchange load data on our rifles...but time passes and he and another guy quit reloading and sold off the components and now he just shoots a few times before the season starts...Believe it or not, I don't say much down at deer camp, I am down there to hunt and enjoy the fine dining that is prepared to its finess....Split Toe is our Club Chef...LOL...but he does listen to me when it comes to shooting. I have told him and others many times to shoot up the box of ammo and then go out and buy you another box of ammo for the following year...if you have a box of 20, shoot 15 of them and save the last 5 for hunting. Then the following year shoot up the 5 you had left over and then the other 15 from the new box you bought for your Christmas Stocking Stuffer...shoot 3 rounds, 5 times or if you have 20 rounds, shoot 4 shots, 5 times...that way you know if you are on paper/target or not....

I agree with you that you can load your own for much cheaper than buying you own ammo, but in my reloading room it has many thousands of dollars of reloading equipment in it. So which is actually cheaper?? Sure, I do enjoy the reloading aspect and have done it since the early 70's and slowly built up all the equipment. I shoot on a weekly bases and it is my main hobby, so what price do you put on a hobby?? You can't, don't even try....but I can reload my ammo to each specific rifle I own and keep records of each round and target I shoot with it. Many years ago, I use to say that if the rifle shot a 2 inch group at 100 yards that is good, but these days if the rifle shots any groups bigger than a dime, it doesn't leave the house....

As far as the 22 goes, cannot disagree with you on anything you say...I remember those years very well, when ammo started appearing back on the shelves, prices were certainly higher...I still have boxes of old Remington and Winchester 22 LR ammo that cost 50 cents per box...wow...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
the good news is the prices should be coming down fast. since trump was elected and no gun control for 4 years, i know the ammo companies are laying people off. they had over hired figuring nutty hillary being elected.

i think cheaper ammo will get more folks shooting again. some folks don't have the budget like others to blow through boxes of shells. or, practice just isn't a priority.

i know i'm not sad about prices coming down on ammo or guns
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »
Yari - I agree with you in so many ways, but the ammo prices will only drop after opening day of rifle season and by only 10% at best....especially about shooting more. Everyone needs to shoot more, including me!

Every Midway, Brownells or Cabelas order I place, I buy either extra box of 223 or 22LR or 22WMR ammo and let my inventory slowly build up...just this year alone, I have bought a 1000 rounds of Black Hills 223 in 75 gn ammo...funny story, I was in my local Gander Mtn store and asked the guy if there was any restriction on 17HMR, 20 grains. They had a limit of 2 boxes of 22LR ammo...they guy said no there was not any limits on that caliber, so I bought 40 or the 47 boxes.....LOL.... 

When Prez Trump got elected, we were on our annual hunt week down in GA. I told everyone down there at the time that now is not the time to buy gun stocks, like Remington, Ruger, S&W etc., since then everyone has taken a step back and took a deep breath, but this lead to a vacuum in the Gun Manufacturers...I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the Shot Show this year.....I did buy ATK and Morton-Thiokol stocks again....and don't you just love Amazon Stock(AMZN)...most people at work thought I was crazy to buy it a few years ago (2014) when I bought as a birthday present to me for $324.14.......   

Vista Outdoors is part or ATK empire and they own everybody, Savage, Burris, Bushnell, Blackhawk, RCBS, Tasco, Redfield, Federal Ammo and a ton of more companies. So don't expect to see the prices come down anytime soon for their products, here is a link to the current brands....

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline yari

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
funny you mention vista. they are laying off a lot of people at their federal arms facility in MN. they need the other brands to pick up the slack

i like amzn but i don't get teslas valuation. their market value is bigger than gm and ford and they make 150,000 cars a year TOTAL. others sell that many of each model!
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
Yari - I think Tesla is OK, but I stay away from Automotive Stocks till late in the forth quarter.....but my DAL, IBM, HD, Apple, Amazon, SO, AYI portfolio is on track for a very good year...

I have heard that Vista/Federal is laying off due to the military contract they fail to get...but with all the turmoil out there, they might be calling them back sooner rather than later....but in general, the firearm industry is at a slow crawl right not and all the other companies they support like Optics, Bases Rings, Ammo, Slings, Cases, etc....a general slow down in expected until early next year..that is what I am hearing....

SCCY is moving to TN so I am know of a couple of stores that sell their products and will go out and buy one of their two models in 9mill now...Glock is located in Marietta, Ga...and talk about supporting spin off companies....wonder what spin off companies will be supplies of SCCY....Alcoa Aluminum, who is making Aluminum Sheets for the Ford truck bodies....is located right down the block from Alcoa...hummm...wonder in the future if Alcoa and SCCY will strike up a partnership....love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
57+ Years in the woods

Offline yari

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
i own both AA and ARNC. i bought them prior to the split. they have been rock stars. let's hope they continue
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad