New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New cast bullet project  (Read 225 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
New cast bullet project
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
A cast bullet project that had been progressing slowly, has taken a jump forward, but I have to fit it in among my other ongoing projects. My 45LC 255 gr rifle loads got put on the back burner, awaiting better weather.  For quite a while I have been wanting to reload 32 acp ammo.  So I started by gathering up some brass, and dies.  Already have some powder, but with a max load of 2.5-2.8 grs of powder, a pound can go a looonnng way.  Bullets were a sticking point, until a friend from another forum gifted me with 100 cast bullets to test.  He said they work well through his 32 acp firearms.  These bullets come from a NOE mold, 77 gr, RF.  They drop from the mold at .314"-315" and are slightly heavier than the factory 71 gr fmj factory ammo I have, but should be fine.  I slugged my barrel, and it came out at  3105"-.3115"  I was a little surprised because the 32 acp is supposed to mike at .312"  I was hoping I could use the bullets as cast, without resizing.  The biggest issue is that the one dummy round I made, did not fully seat in the chamber, even though the bullet was seated a little deeper than normal.  Minimum coal for a 77 gr bullet is .955", while my dummy round is .920"  On a cartridge this size, seating depth is critical due to the volume of the case.  Seating too deep can greatly increase the pressure.  At this point, I need to decide if I need to buy some fmj's or try casting new bullets at a different temp, as this alone can have an effect on bullet diameter.  Resizing the bullets to .312"-313" is another option. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad