New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Best reel for trout?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Best reel for trout?
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
I am going on my Turkey hunt next week and we have a large (to me, picture of part of the lake in my profile picture) lake with trout and bass. Catch & release only.

I bought a Daiwa Presso Ultralight spinning rod 6'6" as it come in four pieces and a carry bag. Never used it but will on this trip.

I needed something that I could compact in my CRV as taking 1 or 2 piece fishing poles is a pain on a long drive.

I have these reels:
Shimano Sedona 500
Shimano Sonora 1000FB
Both 4# test

Now, i really suck at fishing. Maybe  a better reel that casts a bit further will help as I fish from the shore.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:34:02 AM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Best reel for trout?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
please don't take this wrong. those a fine reels. i own both of them. i used to buy reels over $100 and found them to be more fragile than the cheaper ones. at the cost of repairing them, they weren't worth fixing. i found the $30-70 reels work just fine

first, i would look at the line. you want a line w/ low memory. that is when it comes off the reel it shouldn't coil up

if that's not it, as dutch would say PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. my musky fishing buddy constantly gets backlashes(casting reels) and blamed the reels. they were the same ones i've used for years. i told him he needed to practice. after 3 years, it might have sunk in. he did buy 2 more reels, but it sounds like he has been practicing. i hope so. blacklashes turn into snags and wasted time

take a sinker about the same weight as the lures you will be throwing. or better yet, take the hooks off a lure and practice. it will make it more enjoyable

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
I went to D!cks Sporting goods on the way to my gunsmith to pick up my Beretta A300 Outlander. I bought Lew's Mr. Trout spinning reel, 6# braided line, an Eagle Claw Heavy Duty Wire leader. I will add that all to my Daiwa Presso Ultralight rod when I get to Georgia and see how it works at the lake. I will revist the Alberto Knot video on You Tube when I get there. Cell service is spotty but I don't want to spend $13 a month on You Tube Red.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
why a wire leader for trout?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
That is all I could find. Remember, I rarely fish vs hunting
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »
you don't need a steel leader for trout. they won't cut your line. they have small teeth. if you are using braid, i would tie a 3-4' mono or fluorocarbon leader. trout can be picky. they will see the braid line very easily.

i use 4# p-line fluoroclear line for trout when river fishing. my trout are 24" max

i hope this helps.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »
you don't need a steel leader for trout. they won't cut your line. they have small teeth. if you are using braid, i would tie a 3-4' mono or fluorocarbon leader. trout can be picky. they will see the braid line very easily.

i use 4# p-line fluoroclear line for trout when river fishing. my trout are 24" max

i hope this helps.

Ok, i will make a 4' monifillement leader off my braid. Trying braid as mono always knots up on me. I read there are advantages to braid over mono but they mentioned to use a leader trout will not see.

Looks like temps will be high next week
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »
if you need to, use a small swivel. it's always a challenge to merger braid and mono. good luck. i wish i was going. i need a good trout outing one of these days

if you don't have any, look for rostertail spinners. they come in a lot of colors and sizes. as they say, match the hatch(colorwise) i've used them from WI to the rockies w/ great success
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:33:28 PM »
Thanks, shall do. Fishing likely an evening pursuit after a full day of hunting.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
if you need to, use a small swivel. it's always a challenge to merger braid and mono. good luck. i wish i was going. i need a good trout outing one of these days

if you don't have any, look for rostertail spinners. they come in a lot of colors and sizes. as they say, match the hatch(colorwise) i've used them from WI to the rockies w/ great success
Yep, in my one and only weekend of trout fishing, I had great success with both rooster tails and Mepps spinners on my ultralight spinning rig.  I was running 4 lb mono if I recall, and I think my baits were in the 1/16 to 1/8th oz range.  Always have a variety of them in my box for bluegill fishing, different colored bodies and spinners.  They cast well and you can work them at a variety of depths and speeds.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad