New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Turkey Mouth Calls  (Read 952 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Turkey Mouth Calls
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
Looking for advice and/or recommendations for turkey mouth calls. What do you use and why do you use that brand? Which ones give a very raspy sound to them?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Turkey Mouth Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
I have used mouthcalls sparingly.  If this is would be your first mouth call, I would pick a double reeded one.  I think they are easier to use, and sound good.  The triple reed ones seem to be a bit more difficult.  I don't think brand matters much. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
Different brands come in slightly different sizes. You kind of have to experiment till you find the ones that are comfortable. Some people dont have any issues some do. You can trim them a bit as well if you need to.

Primos makes a few with a small dome on them which makes it easier to use by removing a lot of tongue tension from the mix.

I spend a lot of time in the car so I will spend time practicing while driving.

Cadence is actually more important than tone for most birds. I still think I sound more like a beagle in tone than a turkey but I still get them to come in LOL

I am cheap and buy whatever is priced right over brand name.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
been using mouthcalls for a long long time, I always have a box, slate and many calls in my vest but I always go to the mouth calls, I have no particular brand I use , I use to use the mouth calls that supported our site but ai have used several types on sale...I always use a quad call (4 reeds) I feel it is the easiest to use..I have used single double triple and find they are more hard to use.  If this is your first mouth call it takes some time to get use to but when you do you never forget it.  and practice practice practice it takes a while to get it down so if your planning on this year start now.  I love it!  PM me bearclaw if you have any questions @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
I use nothing but Woodhaven calls. Mouth call I us eis the Hornet or V-3. The Hornet is a 2 reed call easy to use and sounds great. The V-3 is a 3 reed call and you can get just a little more rasp out of it when you need it. My friction calls are Wood haven as well. Wood haven calls are the easiest calls I have ever used, a kid with no experience can pick up a pot call and be calling in 10mins they are just that easy-- Sorry for the info mercial!! LOL I just love these calls- They work for me-- That is what every turkey hunter needs to fine- What works for them. So you may have to try a bunch to fine the one for you. Good Luck
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
LEGACY PREMIUM MOUTHCALLS: Lady's Night.  Don't look anymore. Just enough rasp, just enough cut. The lady's night was the second call I've ever owned and as long as they keep making them I WILL NOT STOP USING THOSE. I actually probably got enough right now to last me several more years LOL. As far as the other calls I've learned not to buy name brand calls. You can't go wrong with buying a custom pot call or box call. Their all better made than the assembly line calls.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »
I'm moving away from mouth calls.  Will still carry them with me, but finding I'm more successful with slates and my home-made scratch boxes.  Here's my issue - I get some incredible volume out of the diaphragm calls, but I think that's working against me once I get a tom coming in.  If the wind is howling I'll still use one when we're running & gunning trying to locate birds, but once I park my fanny I'm mainly using friction calls.  This has worked well for me now for the last few years.

I can call softly with a diaphragm, but it seems like I forget to do that when a bird starts to respond - only speculating on this but I think the tom comes so far thinking the hen is right behind the next tree, then eventually gets suspicious of the invisible screaming hen & decides to meander away.  I have used a variety of different diaphragms - - like MI-B said those Primos calls with the little plastic dome have worked quite well for me, that's probably one of the more notable ones I've used.  Friend of mine makes his own and kills birds every year, but the shape he likes for his own use just doesn't fit my mouth - you'll find differences in the factory brands as well, just need to experiment.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:54:08 PM »
i have 3-4 i bring of all brands. it's funny how some birds prefer different sounds. i have gone through boxes, strikers, a couple mouth calls and then hit the right one. turkeys are gooffy.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
I gave up on mouth calls way back when. If someone else uses them, it sounds fine. When I use them be it my ears or whatever it does not sound right to me. Pot calls, box calls works fir me
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
I use my mouth calls less and less each year. I am in love with my slate calls and have had great success with them. I only use my mouth calls now when the turkey gets very close and the movement of the slate becomes a problem.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
Bearclaw, next time I'm at the call bench I'll hook you up with a couple to try.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Bearclaw, I have used mouthcalls since 1970's and that is basically all I use even though I have all the other ones too ;D  the main thing is practice, practice, and more practice , at first it seems impossible to do but once you get the hang of it, you never give up and it becomes easier and easier to do.  I only use 4 reed calls and I find that they are raspy.  four reed are to me no more difficult to use than single , double or triples,   I have had great luck with them and also frustration but thats Turkey Hunting, some days nothing works mouth or amy other.  but the most important thing is don't give up and practice even while I was driving to work I would.  Good Luck  DPD
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

New Page 3

Google Ad