New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Vortex Viper HS  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Vortex Viper HS
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »
Going to mount this scope on the new Colt-Cooper 308...have already mounted the Vortex Cant Level onto the scope.....just waiting on the rifle now....

My only concern is that it will be too much scope for a 308 Win, at 500 yards it still have 1400 ft lbs of energy....so energy, velocity, trajectory is not a problem at that range....but up close!!! say within 20 to 30 yards, will 4X be to much?? On a bunch of 308's have the 1.5-6X, 2-8X, 2-12X and one 3-9X scopes...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »
i use 3x w/o any issues. i've shot deer at 10 yards. you should be fine
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Yari - Got the new Colt Cooper in this morning and did most of my test on it...use the Burris Extreme instead of the Leupold Mark 4...no big deal, will throw the Leupold Mark 4 rings in the box for the next rifle...LOL....

Wow that is good to know...later on might get a Leupold VX6 2-12X for it, just don't know now, hopefully will be fine....thanks for the comments....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »
Yesterday was in the Gun Room and doing a triple check on the screws and checking torque values, am glad to report that they have not backed out at all...when I did get it first in went and stripped it down to the basic piece...use Locktite on the front and back receiver screws front screw 65 inch lbs, back screw 55 inch pounds. Then use the Locktite on the Ken Farrell Picatinny Rail, for the 4 screws (45 inch pounds)...and just a drop on the Burris Extreme Rings that bolt down to the Picatinny rail. Do Not Use Locktite on the scope ring screws, Do not use Locktite on these six screws..Did reinstalled the 3" Sunshade and left it on there again for a while but after rethinking, it just looks better without it....

So was in there resizing Lapua Brass using my new Redding 308 Dies, trimming the brass and truing up the necks of the brass....went ahead an put the CCI-BR2 primers in 20 pieces of brass....have been studying the other 308 Coopers that I have and will use their loads to start off with. I like Vithavouri Powder to start with but will not hesitate to switch to the IMR-4166 and AA powders if needed! Should be fun sighting it in...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad