New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Vortex Viper HS  (Read 1203 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Vortex Viper HS
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »
Just got through ordering a new Vortex Viper HS scope, 4 to 16X, 30mm tube, side focus, etc...from Midway....after mounting a Ziess 4.5-14X on the Cooper 280 AI that I purchased last year and took the Sig-Sauer Tango 4 scope, 3-12X, 30mm tube and mounted it on the new Savage 10 BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor....

This Vortex Viper is the second one that I own and was very impressed with it quality versus dollars paid....so with the new addition of this Vortex will have three of them not mounted. Thought I would pick up a long range scope as a back up.

So what is due from me is a review on this Vortex and the Savage....be looking for them....got to head to the range....

Time to do some serious reloading for long range......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Vortex Viper HS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
vortex is in WI. once they have their build out done, i want to get down there

congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:03:40 AM »
Yari - Yes in Middleton, WI!!! I have a contact that I have written many times, he is a nice guy and very concern about feedback, both positive and negative, he wants it all....

Yes very impress with their products and especially the Leupold type Warranty they have....at first they were targeting Ziess Products but lately it has been Leupold.....He also told me that the Crossfire II line does not have a serial number, if you have a problem, they will replace with a new one in the box without any questions!

I have about a dozen Vortex Scopes, Binos and even a small Razor Spotting Scope....I have donate Vortex Products at the last couple of Summerblast....I think they are going to make their Diamondback line a close second to their Crossfire II line of products...

If you go down there, take pictures of what they will let you take and post them here....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
bo- i've talked to a couple guys at vortex. both have been very helpful

i did ask them to send me a comparison of their new ranging bino vs leica, nikon, leo(i was told they have one) for accuracy on deer sized animals at long ranges. that was 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. that is unlike them

who is you contact?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:30:45 AM »
Yari - I have always dealt with Jimmy Jordan at Vortex....email and phone calls.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
They are great folks at Vortex. I dealth with them in the past, all favourable interaction. I gave my Vortex stuff to my son except my Vortex StrikeFireII sight. I just have to figure which rifle to take my Leupold off and put the Vortex on. I am leaning to my plinker 9mm HiPoint carbine
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
Flint - The Vortex came in today...it does have a serial number...HAHAHA.....went ahead and took it out of the box and went outside and "observed"....man those scope are clear...wow....

Also in the box was two boxes of Black Hills Re-manufactured 223, 77 gn ammo...this is super accurate round, probably as good as my 223 reloads...so with every order that I place with MidwayUSA, I sort of throw in a box or two of this ammo....and I have order a lot from Midway!!!

I went ahead and installed the 3" long sunshade that come on it...wish they made a 1" shade for it!! Put it in the pile of 6 scopes....4 Vortex scopes and 1 Sightron and 1 Simmons....Maybe I need a Savage A17 and put the Vortex CF II 2-7X x 33mm on it??

I email my contact at Vortex today and told me that I got the new one in.....

May donate one Vortex to the SummerBlast this year....knee got to get better.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Enjoy it!

Mine was the scope plus a deal to add it to a rail. It wil be well raised off the rail. Sorry, i dont know how to post photos the forum will accept. Now I have to figure do I want it on a shotgun, 9mm carbine, rifle or muzzleloader? The rifles, ML have Leupolds. The 9mm carbine has some cheapo lighted sight, the shotguns have Bushnell Holosight. I am trying to figure which item to swap out with the Vortex as the Leupolds have good optics, the Holosight has worked for me for decades.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »
Bo suggested a vortex scope for me after the last Summerblast that we were at and I got it and am very satisfied @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
Got the Vortex Viper HS (4x16Xx44m, 30mm tube) about a month ago and have taken it out of the box looked thought it several times. Still have not mounted it yet and am thinking about mounting it on another long range setup...

Many years ago, purchased a used custom made 7mm STW with a Swarovski and tried to shoot 160 and 175's through it, to no avail, large groups at best. Built on a model 70 action with a Lilja 26" SS barrel and a 2" SS Borden Brake, Timney Trigger set at 2.5 lbs. 8-40 screws, HS Precision Stock. Remounted the scope on a Cooper 308 and since then it has been sitting in the corner of the gun safe.....With this knee problem I am having, cannot go to the range! #$%^ and &*^@ and $%* is what I have to say about that!!!

Blew the dust off and now it is in pieces...first thing I do with any rifle I get in today is to measure the twist in the barrel! what I found out about it that it has 11 twist in it also...Remember the story about my custom HCR 7mm Rem Mag that I was having problems with. Sent it back to Hill Country Rifles (HCR) and the re-crowned it and check the bedding, and gave it a check up with a clean bill of health...so it took me several years to figure out that the twist rate in the barrel was not 9 twist, like most 7mm's, but 11 twist, which means it shoots lighter bullets. It shoots any 140 gn pill great these days! How bout a nickel size 3 shot group at 200 yards!!

So last night, check the twist and found it also was 11 twist in the 7mm STW I know it likes lighter bullets...I am willing to bet it going to like 120 pills and out of a 28" barrel...even Dutch will be jealous at the velocity it will produce....so planning on mounting the Vortex Viper HS on the rifle. and then post some pix showing the scope and rifle setup...... --09--0

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
good luck w/ the knee. i've been good with mine lately(knock on wood)

that will be a flat shooter for your new clearcut stands
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
Put an order in last night from Midway for a long action Picatinny rail (20 MOA). Have some 30mm Burris Extreme Rings that I will use. Have loaded up some 120 gn Accubonds using 72.5 Viht 160 and 140 gn Accubonds using 72.0 grains of RL19 - These are starting loads only!! Using Fed 215 mag primers and went ahead and put a Vortex Cant Level on the scope and true it up....

I'm ready to go to the range but the knee will not let me roam at the range....at long as I can get down to the gun room I will be a happy camper.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
what did you do to your knees? is this a replacement situation?

mine got messed up in an auto/grain truck head on. the doctor at the time said they need to be replaced 10 years ago. when they act up i use glycosimine w/ conowdrum(i know the spelling is wrong) after a week or 2, they feel pretty good.

another thing is to stretch your quads and hamstrings. this has been a trick i learn 15 years ago. this helps more than anything

good luck 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
Yari - Ouch!! yes this one will be a TKR as they say in the business...Total Knee Replacement...right one was done 5 years ago, after I got back from the second Safari...and the great guys at the GA Hunt Club - Deerhead, Split Toe, Metalman, Jap51, Cobbguy help me out buy dragging a couple of nice bucks out of the woods! I wait till after deer season to go in for it, but was not taking any pain pills for the knee....I was in a lot of pain in the blind or ladder stand before the surgery then after the third surgery on the knee, the guy down in the club really help me a great deal....

After the first surgery, the right knee got infected and came within a couple of days loosing the leg according to the knee Doc. Where the infection come from nobody knows and no suing for anything did not happen. I am not a big fan of suing or anything like that, not my style. So, anyway we had to go in and put a Spacer-Knee in and a pic-line in, drive down the infection. That took 5 months of sitting in one chair...horrible...they had to cut my quad muscle so we could get it to bend some, only 98 degrees bend on it. The normal knee bends 120 to 125 degrees. The third surgery took about 4 hours with the removal of the old spacer knee and put in the new third knee....While recouping I memorized the dialog of most hunting shows, saw them so often....LOL...and finally got the infection down enough to try the third knee surgery...this one, thankfully took, but it cost me a year of my life. Hopefully this one will only be three months and I will be back at the range twice a week for a while, got to get my exercise in walking down to the 100 and 200 and even 600 yard targets...LOL..actually we drive to the 600 yard target....don't expect any problems with this one.....hope not.....

I will not be on TH much for the month of June at all...sort will be quiet around here...LOL....will miss the beloved Summerblast 2017 this year and the auction as well, maybe I can donate a few items and mail them to Huntmaster...we will see....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
wow, sounds like quite the ordeal. i hope this one goes a lot better

as i say my knees have been good, i managed to tweak my right knee yesterday. i was doing some chainsaw work and hauling it away. 5 hours later i realized my knee wasn't right. hopefully get back to normal in a week or 2. nothing likr you are going through by any stretch

knee surgeries seem to be 50/50. my dad's 3 surgeries didn't go well. i think the big issue is his weight and hate of exercise. some friends have great success. i hope you got your bad ones out of the way!!!! 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad