New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: planting bug  (Read 595 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
planting bug
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
a buddy and I went 50 miles to food plot seminar last night. it was one of the best plot seminars I've been to. the speaker actually knew what he was talking about and he had a good speech.

the food was poor except the cookies and brownies. the drink is always good. now all I need is a normal year and no floods so I can get some planting done. after last year, I need to catch up

only 4 months before I can plant. I think I need to back down a bit  ???. oh well, at least I have a plan  @--0--0117 @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: planting bug
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
Our last frost can happen in the first part of April.  Last year we had a false Spring and then back to back freezes a couple days apart with 70s in-between.  Had no plums, few apples and pears.

This false Spring is even earlier and longer.  Is the other shoe gonna fall or NOT??    ???   @--0--0117   :2)   ##$%#1119 

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
I'll be planting some stuff in late April, but need to sit down and get a plan laid out.  Want to get some sorghum or sunflowers down for birds, and planning a patch of Powerplant for later in the year, but need to sort it all out.  May need to call Snortwheeze for another bag of his Buckatash.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
We've encountered several early, early springs only to be disappointed by a late cold spell.  We've even had snow flurries in March here in the Florida Panhandle, only a few times but it is possible.  We have a Mulberry tree leafed out with fruit set @--0--0117.  Our best natural indicator that winter is officially over is usually the Pecan trees. 
I disked up several of our garden plots a week or so back and we promptly had over two inches of rain added to already saturated land which makes working it not at all practical.
Years ago most of the corn and watermelons would have already been planted by now.  I've seen big fields with a Styrofoam cup placed on every "possum eared" watermelon plant to save it from a late winter cold snap, very labor intensive.  The issue was the early market vs. the later market, the difference between .02 cents and maybe .15 cents per pound, that adds up quick.
The green up in the woods keeps the deer happy and this year the woods have stayed palatable for Bambi and crew.  They have hardly touched the wheat of Rye grain plots as in the past when we had a more severe winter.  In fact due to our drought situation in the fall, the food plots are now about where they would be in late November and early December, lookin' good but the season finally ends tomorrow evening.
Lookin' forward to planting our vegetable garden along with a patch of red corn and also some summer/warm season legumes for the deer.  That will probably be Iron & Clay cow/field peas.
Treefarmer

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
I know how you feel Yari!  I will be able to plant in about a month--late March to April.

Some flowers are about to bloom here due to the warm spring!!

Weird year!! ##$%#1119
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

New Page 3

Google Ad