New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Effects of a mild winter?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Effects of a mild winter?
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »
Haven't been seeing many deer behind the house for the last couple of months - anything I've seen close by has either been on the front end or across the road in the corn stubble.  Tonight I got home with a little daylight left and spotted a couple of deer in the back. Grabbed the binoculars & spotted that big 8 pointer that I kept seeing last fall.  Another deer with him looked big, but no headbone.  Then another, with a small rack, then two more with racks, one pretty decent.  Then a doe & yearling trotted up.  All together saw 7 deer back there and 4-5 were bucks.  Lots of time by now the bucks have dropped one or both antlers - I guess it's been relatively mild & little snow cover to hide their food.  Would have loved to see that big boy drop his rack right in my food plot where he was standing, but it doesn't look like that happened tonight at least.

The ice is off the pond and we had three big Canadians on it tonight.  Then as the sun disappeared two different groups of coyotes started to sound off.  Gotta love country life . . . .  (although I really need to get after those yotes)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Effects of a mild winter?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
Yes, country life is definitely much better.  Our snow is gone, too, but I have been seeing a lot more deer now than during hunting season, but  I have continued to put corn out for them on a almost daily basis.  One day, we counted 17 deer feeding out there. It is a lot of fun watching the deer come in to feed.  The deer seem to be more likely to come in to feed, if it's cold out and there is snow on the ground.  It's very interesting watching their interaction.  Some of those does can be very mean to the other deer, particularly the smaller ones.  I have been trying to spread the corn much farther, to try to give them room and avoid conflicts.  Have had a few bucks come in, nothing spectacular, I think the biggest one was an 6 pt. maybe a scrubby 8.  Some have already dropped their antlers, while some still have them.  the other day, 2 bucks came in, one with antlers, the other one without.  One buck came in with only one antler.  the does still gave him a wide berth.  I have been seeing and hearing Canada geese flying around.  There is a lake about 1/2 mile north of us, and the neighbor has a large pond.  I love to hear their honking, as opposed to the raspy calls of the cranes, which I find very annoying.  Fortunately, there are far more geese than cranes.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
If it stays warmer  and we have no snow it's going to affect the spring turkey hunt. They will start their "rut" early. They will also move off of the fields and into the woods earlier as well if things green up earlier and provide food for them there.

Seems like the bugs are always worse after a mild winter as well.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
It may as well be spring down here. Going to be 68 degree's next Sunday, with a couple of 60+ days before that.

Beginning to see more deer lately, turkeys are in the yard again too.

Hope you get those Yotes!! --09--0
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »
good luck finding the sheds. do they bed on your place or have permission to look where they bed?

I might go shed hunting this weekend. i'm hoping to go fishing, but the ice may be iffy

I like mild winters for the deer, but it really cuts down my ice fishing
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
We need more snow or rain. Not un one big dumo but we are down5" from what is needed
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »
Yari, I don't have any bedding cover on my place, but there is some where I bow hunt less than a mile from here, and I've seen the big guy over there too.  In between though, I don't have access.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:36 AM »
Been seeing a lot of deer around my house. Planted some rye grass in the yard back in January and the deer are mowing in down. I've been seeing five or six every day. One nice 8 pointer...it's spring in my parts high's been around 70 for several weeks and trees budding out and the yellow bells in full bloom. The turkey's will be early this year...It's time to hit the water as I can hear those fish calling my name!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
The effects of a mild winter in our part of the world cause us to see less deer in the food plots as the natural browse has remained green all through the season.  Our yard grass is still green and could actually stand a mowing. Usually we have a brown/dead lookin' yard till March.  If the warmer weather were to continue, hunting strategies for some folks in the Florida panhandle would have to change.  I don't buy into the global warming crap but I do believe in climate change not caused by man but by our Creator.  The scriptures remind us that "seed time and harvest will go on" and that the Lord has given a boundary to the oceans, so it's really in His Almighty hands!
Treefarmer

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
It has been warm here and the turkeys are already gobblin!! I saw a big Tom in full strut last Friday. Hope they ain't done come April
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
The deer have been hitting the fields pretty hard the last week as the snow is all but gone around here .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
I had a work road trip today. the turkeys and deer were out all day. they looked in great shape
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
It has been warm here and the turkeys are already gobblin!! I saw a big Tom in full strut last Friday. Hope they ain't done come April

When does the season run? I may try and get back to try MD
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
Easy winter may mean more fawns survive. That coukd be a bad thing in over populated deer zones
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project