New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Building an AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster  (Read 7505 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Re: Building an AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
I'm not into those rifles, yet ##$%#1119.

I have a brother-in-law that has been making those up for several years. He surprised me by saying he had to do a little bit of machine work on the upper/lower?  "You got a milling machine, Bro?" He says, "Naw, I've got a jig, kinda' like a router bit that I work with."  He's having fun, I've fired one of his creations, it was nice but I still think "Mattel Toy" when I see one.  Old Corps creeping out, M-14 with Walnut stock or a blue steel and wood 700 :).

The other evening there was an article on the news about the "Ghost Rifles" being made in the US, no serial numbers to trace them from the hands of the criminals who make and supply them to the youth of our nation.  They reported the weapons were fully automatic and then went on to show a person firing an AK @--0--0117.  What a bunch of crap!!!

Thankfully in Florida we still are not hindered by state laws that prohibit us from building such a rifle.  Most of the Florida politicians that clamor for gun control are transplants from states that have very restrictive gun laws.  It seems they escape the cold and come to Florida to straighten us Cracker rednecks out and to make life as miserable as it was in the big cities they came from!  (I'll get down off my soap box, now.)

Back on topic, MI_Bowhunter, glad you are going to do this as a tutorial and I for one will be very interested.  There's probably hope for me, a few years ago I was 100% wheelgun and now I carry a polymer/plastic sand colored thing everyday.
Treefarmer     

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »

The other evening there was an article on the news about the "Ghost Rifles" being made in the US, no serial numbers to trace them from the hands of the criminals who make and supply them to the youth of our nation.  They reported the weapons were fully automatic and then went on to show a person firing an AK @--0--0117.  What a bunch of crap!!!

They are making a bigger deal of it than it is. How many average criminals are gojng to buy an 80% receiver, buy a jig, mill it out, buy parts kit, buffer tube, bolt, etc and assemble it so they can use it in a crime. The average criminal is going to take the easiest route possible and use whatever they can buy on the street or steal. Hollywood has distorted peoples sense or reality.

You can finish a polymer lower without a jig using only a dremmel but you have to be spot on to end up with somethjng that will work. If you are off by even a little the trigger parts will not line up and function correctly. Good luck with that, its not easy without a jig.

I was slow to jump on the black rifle bandwagon as well but I have to say that it becomes an addiction. You can tweak, customize and reconfigure them as much as you want to make it fit what you want. They are the most versatile firearm system created to date.

Come to the dark side!!!!  LOL

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Yeah - the whole "ghost guns" bit seems to be the latest thing for the media fanatics to sink their teeth into - one more opportunity for them to make crap up that gets everyone's undies in a knot.  A year or two they were trying to convince the world that 3D printers were going to cause the streets to be flooded with homemade guns . . . heck if I thought I could actually make a functional gun on a 3D printer I'd probably own one by now (the printer that is).

MI-B - I'm in about the same boat as you - have been playing with the black guns for about 3 and a half years now - preparing to build #4.  I was looking at buying one of those Matrix handguards you have - didn't realize that was what their barrel nut looked like.  If it's just those 4 wrench flats on it (no spanner holes?) can you put a crowfoot on your torque wrench to tighten it down?  That ramp in the barrel extension is interesting - looks like they just cut it in right on top of the regular M4 ramps.  I have 2 stripped uppers & 2 stripped lowers to build out - still need to buy barrels, stocks, handguards, etc.  Think I will build one out with wood furniture and a 20" barrel, make it look like an A2 but with a flat top upper & folding rear sight.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »

MI-B - I'm in about the same boat as you - have been playing with the black guns for about 3 and a half years now - preparing to build #4.  I was looking at buying one of those Matrix handguards you have - didn't realize that was what their barrel nut looked like.  If it's just those 4 wrench flats on it (no spanner holes?) can you put a crowfoot on your torque wrench to tighten it down? 

A  crow foot is what I had thought as well. According to online specs its a 1 3/16" but some have said a 30mm wrench worked fine.  Being flat on four sides there is a little more flat area to work with so either would probably work. I need to make a trip to the auto parts store to get one. I bad intended to grab the nut on the way out this morning but forgot it.  I kind of like the design, you do not have to worry about having to over/under torque the nut to get the gas tube holes to line up.

The Matrix arms handguard is small. I'll have to measure but it is noticibley smaller in diameter than my other handguards, even those without rails.  I do not think that will be a bad thing in this build as being leaner and lighter is good in a hunting gun you may have to lug around. AR's can get heavy as they tend to have a lot of excess rails and whatnot that you may not need for the specific task.  We'll see but I think I am going to like this handguard.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Tree and others, I have gone through my phases of rifles design, first it was a heavy barrel, (Still get those for sure) then it was a single shot type rifle, such as the Ruger No.1, put followers in on some of my regular bolt action rifles to make them a single shot...bought a few Remington single shot 40X style rifles, then purchase a use Shilen DGA rifle, and then purchase the Coopers single shot rifles....

And now, and now, have gotten into the Black or AR rifles...built a few, just to learn about them and have a few built, bought some uppers and now own all of them a 300AAC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC II, one AR15 with Shilen upper with night vision capabilities. I also have a red dot scope in the case just in case.....But the AR style rifles are great!!! You are seeing them more and more on the hunting shows..just saw one the other day on antelope hunting!! My first AR style rifle was a plain jane Colt A2 from my bother in law and the second was a Rock River 223 with a 24 inch barrel for the long range varmint hunting, should have gotten a 20 incher...then I went quiet for a while, but always keeping my eyeball on the AR style rifle....

But they are hear to stay!!! Tree - jump into the AR Arena and learn as you go as I did and still am learning about them

thanks for all the pictures on your build...now just post the game you take with it....maybe there should be a separate section on TH for the AR style rifles ?? What do yawl think ??

I love mine AR's and only use 10 round magazines at the range, and save the 20 and 30 round magazine for hunting (any kind of hunting!!!)......

I have several 22-250 in my collection all of them shoot dime groups at 200 to 250 yards and treat them as my fastest and flattest round, Dutch as most of you know is speed (Freak??) person where a 4000 fps is his bench mark of a rifle...LOL...but these days also keep my 223 away from my 22-250...but now have my eye on the 22 Nosler...have been reading several good reports on them and reviewing the ballistics on this little monster...I cannot imagine a AR style round having the almost same velocity as a 22-250, to me, this is just mind blowing...but don't get me wrong, will buy one in a heartbeat when they get the bugs worked out...cannot imagine taking a coyote at 300 and 400 yards with any AR style rifle....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
OK, got my upper milled out.

My High tech milling machine.    Craftsman Drill Press, cross slide vise, 1/4" end mill bit and a bunch of c clamps

Before painting I will file down the sharp areas (i.e. where I ended the cut near the dust door catch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1rR5EAhbI&feature=youtu.be

My apologies on the poor focus in some parts of the video, I forget that my DSLR does not autofocus in video mode.  I did not realize my error until I was done and downloaded the video to edit it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:10:10 PM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
MI-B - Thanks for the pix and video, well done!  Did you really need to take any material at all from the front vertical edge of the port, or just the top and bottom edges? 
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »
It was uneccesary and unitentional to remove any material forward of the the barrel extension.  I trimmed a little because I had inadvertantly cut more in that direction than I intended and in trying to even it out I took too much off. If I do another I will know not to cut in that direction.

If anyone wants to build one I'll be bappy to open the port up for you, without exposing so much of the barrel extension. ;-D
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
MI - Thanks for the update.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
I was going to rattle can camo this one but decided to break down and buy some Cerakote for the base layer.  The camo will be be done with rattlecans. I cannot afford 4-5 colors or Cerakote. LOL

Thats going to add a little more time to the project but I'm really not in any hurry with this one and I think the end result will be better this way.

I think my next step will probably be 80% lower as long as I am taking the Cerakote route
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
Mike, check out this link.   

http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-closed-ear-ar-15-a3-lwfor-um-closed
The last 3 lowers I have assembled have been Andersons, one is still sitting unattached in my safe.  The upper I just milled was also an Anderson.  I already have an undisclosed number of 80%'ers that have just been begging to be completed.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
You're way ahead of me, I thought you still had to get a lower.  For $49.99 for a finished lower doesn't sound too bad, except you have to go through an FFL. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
$50 for a finished lower is a pretty good price Louie - you generally need to buy a fair quantity to get below that mark.  The Trump factor (and the general blasting of the liberals in November's election) has really driven prices and availability in a favorable direction. 

I've considered trying one of those 80% lowers, but for now time is more hard to come by than cash, so I'll keep building with my finished parts.  Did one with a S&W lower, one Rock River, and the rest are Andersons.  Can't say that I've been disappointed in the Andersons, and their prices are considerably lower so I'll keep on that path for now.
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »
I think I paid $59 or thereabouts for my Anderson lowers a while back. I got a little deal on FFL costs because I ordered several.

The Cerakote came in this week.  The process takes a fair amount of time so I want to get a few items ready. Plan on milling a lower this weekend.

I may or may not get through the painting process this weekend as well. Lots of prep involved and need to find a different method of baking than I used last time. Want to test out a small elec smoker thats been sitting in the garage for a while to see how well it can maintain temp
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

New Page 3

Google Ad