New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Building an AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster  (Read 7502 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Building an AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a barrel and bolt in 450 Bushmaster. I'm going to be building a hunting gunaround it and trying to keep it fairly low budget.

Barrel and bolt should arrive next week and the real fun will begin.

I did not spend the extra $$ on a 450BM receiver so there will be a little machining to open up the ejection port for the larger brass.

Power tools and guns, what could possibly go wrong?

For those unfamiliar with AR-15 assembly I'll post pics as I go. Feel free to ask any questions you have

Might even mill out an 80% receiver just to make it even more interesting!!

Buckle up, this is going to be fun!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Building an AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Me too!!   LOL
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BubbaBrown

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Great, give us the step by step build. I'd love to do the same, but don't think I have the tools for it ()*$%RT
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
sounds like you are getting ready for our pig-o-rama
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
MI-B - I'm definitely interested in hearing more as you go forward with this.  Have been thinking about building up a big-bore thumper but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (have two new stripped lowers & uppers just waiting to be built up though).  Will be curious to see what you need to do on the ejection port - are you diving in to that by trial & error, or have you found some good guidance on it?  One of my stripped uppers is a slick-side with no forward assist boss or dust cover mounting - that might be the place for me to start on one of these builds.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »
Great, give us the step by step build. I'd love to do the same, but don't think I have the tools for it ()*$%RT

The only specialized tool you need is a barrel nut wrench and they are available pretty much anywhere ARparts are sold.   Some hand guards require a special wrench but the majority will use the std tool.  Everything else can be done with std home tools.

sounds like you are getting ready for our pig-o-rama

It will definitely work for that.   My primary intended use is for deer.   The lower half of lower MI is designated a shotgun only zone for deer hunting (some pistol calibers and muzzle loader are allowed).  A couple years ago they expanded it to allow certain straight walled cartridges to be used in rifle form.  My primary hunting location when I hunt in this area is over a corn/bean field.    This will extend my range a bit over a shotgun or my muzzleloader. (Plus it's just fun to put together guns  ;D )

MI-B - I'm definitely interested in hearing more as you go forward with this.  Have been thinking about building up a big-bore thumper but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet (have two new stripped lowers & uppers just waiting to be built up though).  Will be curious to see what you need to do on the ejection port - are you diving in to that by trial & error, or have you found some good guidance on it?  One of my stripped uppers is a slick-side with no forward assist boss or dust cover mounting - that might be the place for me to start on one of these builds.

I've been doing some research and lurking on a 450BM specific forum and have picked up a lot.   The port needs to be opened up a small amount along the lower edge and a little along the top towards the rear.   If you wish to continue using the dust cover you have to careful not to remove the material where it latches.   I orderred my barrel, bolt (not including carrier) and thread protector from Tromix Lead Delivery Solutions.    They also sell stripped uppers,( already modified), gas block, compensator, etc as well as complete uppers.   They wanted $135 for a 450BM upper, my Anderson cost $44.  I've rather save the money or apply it elsewhere where it I will get more out of it such as trigger.

As this will likely be shot from a ground blind I opted to go without a comp.  Yes they reduce recoil but they are also LOUD, esp where the sounds can bounce off a nearby wall, etc.   I doubt the recoil without it will be much more than a small shotgun so I am not too concerned about recoil on this one.

I already have a carrier for the bolt, scope, charging handle and a extra completed lower so that eliminated a lot of expense right off the top. To spice it up I may finish off a 80% lower I have had sitting here for a while.  This is an aluminum lower and I have the jig and machine bits to finish it with a router.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »
MI - Great build, always had respect for the 450 Bushmaster! One great bear rifle....and deer and almost anything else you might want to take with it would make a pretty darn good home defense round as well...LOL...

Keep us all informed of your progress...should be an interesting build...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:48 PM »
The parts I needed to complete the upper arrived on Saturday.  I'll start posting some pics tomorrow and get this thing rolling.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »

How is the recoil with the 450BM?  This is new to me. 

I considered building a 6.8 or .308 before I settled on .300 AAC.
I purchased pretty much barrel and complete upper to make it an easy swap and ended up with all the tools necessary for my next build.                                                   ()*$%RT                 ()*$%RT                       ()*$%RT                ()*$%RT
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »

How is the recoil with the 450BM?  This is new to me. 

I considered building a 6.8 or .308 before I settled on .300 AAC.
I purchased pretty much barrel and complete upper to make it an easy swap and ended up with all the tools necessary for my next build.                                                   ()*$%RT                 ()*$%RT                       ()*$%RT                ()*$%RT
I'll let you know when I finish it. I have honestly never shot one.  From what I have been told, the recoil is approximate to a 20g shotgun. That really doesnt tell me much but I figure it has to be less than that of a 12g slug. LOL
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »
Sounds great!! keep us posted  as you go sounds very interesting.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
wish we could that in new York state but noooooooooo

@--0--0101     (*&^&%# 
turkey season is 1 month away

dave 1211

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
OK Here are some pics:

All the parts laid out.   Some I just bought, some I already had.    I reserve the right to change up any of these as I go.   ;D

The gun in the background is my 300BLK that I built a while back.

Matrix Arms Keymod Handguard.  This is a friction fir free floating tube.   The barrel nut that comes with it is different than any I gave seen.  I will have to find some other way to torque this one down.  It has flats on four sides, I have not determined size yet.

Barrel stamp.  I was impressed that this barrel already has a detente hole under the gas port.  I will add a second but this is the first I have seen to come with one.    I will expand on this later in the build.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »

Looks like they took a std M4 barrel extension and ground it down to make the 450 feed ramp.

Here I just laid everything together to give you an idea how it will look when it is done.   Not really assembled but enough to see what it will look like.

Closer look.

There really is not much to putting together an upper.  This one is only made more difficult because I need to mill out some of the metal around the ejection port for the larger 450BM brass.

Next I'll take it all apart and go through the details of assembling it for real.   I am still trying to figure out exactly how I want to tackle opening up the ejection port.   Look to borrow a cross slide vise I can can be more precise in milling away the metal.  I'll keep you posted.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

New Page 3

Google Ad