New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: momma said there would be days like this  (Read 976 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
momma said there would be days like this
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
what a mess. my buddy showed up 2 hours late. the first 2 bait shops were out of business. we finally drilled holes around 4:30. we were fishing crappies and planned to fish until 9 pm. my 1 year old buddy heater stopped at 7. we had 3 back-ups. I switched the tank 2 times, nothing. switched the heater for a 'sunflower style' heater. nothing. tried a different tank on the other receptical on my heater and my buddy cross threaded the tank and sprayed LP all over and froze his hand. I put gloves on and tried to remove it. as it sprayed, fire from the lantern danced across the ice between my legs and to the tank --7-8-9. (almost had hot dog for dinner @--0--0105) I never use a lantern, so I completely brain farted it was even there. we got the heck out of there and just waited for it to go out. amazingly, there wasn't any damage to the shack or the heater(that I could tell at first glance)

we counted our blessing and packed up. 3 rock bass and 1 crappie for the effort.

anyone have a buddy heater? where should I start trouble shooting? it only has 50-70 hours on it and 2 years old. always stored inside. this will occupy my day. wish me luck. i'm guess a line is clogged   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: momma said there would be days like this
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
That's a bad day for sure, glad nobody got hurt too bad (hot dogs LOL). I don't have a buddy heater but my first guess would be to check for fixes of google? Good Luck
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
WOW. I just talked to my buddy. he put the sunflower head back on and it started immediately. I cleaned my nozzle w/ a q-tip and iso-propel and it fired on the first try. go figure @--0--0117

I guess it just wasn't in the cards yesterday. very odd
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Momma said there would be days like this.

Glad it didn't turn out worse!! @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »
Glad no one was hurt. Don't know why things work out the way they do. Go figure indeed!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Glad nobody was hurt on such a bad day. Could have been worse I reckin but you all all still here and go fishing again right? So all of your bad luck should be used up fo now. Good luck on your next outing it should be better and the fish will be biting, your heater will work, no hot dogs for lunch and you'll know which bait shop to go to-- You had a learning exoerience!!  @--0--0120
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
Are you running a propane filter in your buddy heater?  I have heard that dirty LP will give them problems. 
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
Are you running a propane filter in your buddy heater?  I have heard that dirty LP will give them problems.

yes sir. it's kind of a pain for the 1 pound tank because the door won't close w/ the tank on. I bought a 5# tank and hole instead of dealing w/ 1# tanks
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:28:16 PM »
Wow, talk about the wheels coming off. Lucky nothing got destroyed or someone hurt.

Ive been using a heater buddy for many years. Never used a gas  filter and frequently switch back and.forth between 1# cans and 20# tank, it doesnt even have a guard on it any more.  Sometimes the tube where the pllot comes out will get clogged. A q-tip with some alchohol  can be used to clean it out.  Beyond that I have not experienced any functional isues with the unit.

Other things that come to mind:

It's possible that the safety sensor that turns it off when it moves or tips over is stuck or faulty.

Something clogging the inlet.

Thermocouple if the pilot will not stay lit.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:22 PM »
Good luck with it yari,  glad to hear nobody got hurt.  Propane is some scary stuff,  this year @ Red Lake I got sick one night because the stove in our sleeper shack was leaking.  I fainted and ended up spending the night in my truck.
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
Good luck with it yari,  glad to hear nobody got hurt.  Propane is some scary stuff,  this year @ Red Lake I got sick one night because the stove in our sleeper shack was leaking.  I fainted and ended up spending the night in my truck.

that happened to us 3-4 years ago. now, we bring our own detectors when we do sleepers. you can't count on those guys up there to have working detectors. they are cheap. I felt miserable for a day after that. our detector saved our butt twice already
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad