New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Precharged pneumatic (PCP) air rifles  (Read 884 times)

Offline ke7cjw

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Are you part of the New Breed Nation?
Precharged pneumatic (PCP) air rifles
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
I have been a fan of air rifles since I was a kid. I have always had at least one air rifle around and really do enjoy plinking with them in the back yard. I have been looking at all the new rifles being introduced by the air rifle manufacturers in the PCP line and am wondering if they are really as good as they claim. I would like to try one of these rifles out but at the price it is a bit difficult to pull the trigger on an air rifle that is more expensive than several center fire rifles currently available. Has anyone used one of these air rifles? Are they worth the money?
Life member of the NRA
Life member of the North American Fishing club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Precharged pneumatic (PCP) air rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
Here is a link to check out prices if you are interested http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Air_rifles/Precharged_pneumatic_PCP/155

I bought a Gamo Whisper several years ago, and use it quite a bit for back yard plinking. I have also taken squirrel, rabbit, possum, groundhog and one raccoon with it. I could buy 5 or 6 of these for what they are asking for the PCP.

BTW, the Gamo came with a scope included in the cost.  @--0--0127
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
52 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 52 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017

Offline ke7cjw

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Are you part of the New Breed Nation?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
I have looked at the prices at Pyramid air several times. I have a Ruger like your Gamo now as well. I like the idea of the PCP being able to shoot multiple shots for each charge, but so far I don't see the justification of the price of one. I also like the idea of the new Air Bows as well but at around $1000.00 a piece I can find a few regular crossbows instead.
Life member of the NRA
Life member of the North American Fishing club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Yeah, I've been drooling over a PCP rifle too, but my frugal German heritage is getting in the way of pulling out my wallet.  I'm wanting a big bore, thinking about the Crosman Bulldog in .357 for coyotes and giant raccoons adjoining a subdivision near me.  About $800 for the gun, then several hundred more for pump and/or tank.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
I have looked at the prices at Pyramid air several times. I have a Ruger like your Gamo now as well. I like the idea of the PCP being able to shoot multiple shots for each charge, but so far I don't see the justification of the price of one. I also like the idea of the new Air Bows as well but at around $1000.00 a piece I can find a few regular crossbows instead.

FYI- the air bows are very loud. I would think a deer would easily jump out of their skin at the shot.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
PCP's have been around for a long time.  They are popular with competition shooters.  They are accurate, reliable, powerful and pricey. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:38:36 AM »
I too am in the market for a PCP air rifle. Have been holding off until I can find a good one. I have a RWS 350 that I purchased many years go and it is as loud as a 22LR or 17HM2...I am beginning studying the PCP and a few of them come with a hand pump with them...but if you get the ones that don't include a pump, then you have to find a charging station to get your tank full of air. Any scuba/dive shop will have compressors that go up to 3000 to 4000 PSI....but it will cost you to get your spare tank/Pig or just a spare air tank....That just get the cost going....

Do you discharge the PCP receiver after each use? the simple answer is yes...never leave a gun loaded or crossbow cocked, where anyone could reach it....Just a safety rule of thumb that I have....down at the hunt club we never have a loaded rifle in camp....I would love to find a PCP that you could fill up with you home Air Compressors and deliver the accuracy of a Well known PCP...

I am open for any PCP rifles, and Deerhead is right, the PCP has been around for a very long time. The more I study them the more I am learning about them. Like any rifle platform we choose to look at, there is a lot of history involved....

Have been looking lately at the Benjamin Marauder System maybe in 25 caliber with its pump. All the reviews I had read about their pump it is marginal at best....a barrel break might be the best way to go, not sure just yet....Maybe I just will get the old RWS out and try some very different ammo (.177) in it....but the noise is another thing....Ready so-so reviews of the Gamo Whisper Series so I am not convinced that is the way to go as well......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
I too am in the market for a PCP air rifle. Have been holding off until I can find a good one. I have a RWS 350 that I purchased many years go and it is as loud as a 22LR or 17HM2...I am beginning studying the PCP and a few of them come with a hand pump with them...but if you get the ones that don't include a pump, then you have to find a charging station to get your tank full of air. Any scuba/dive shop will have compressors that go up to 3000 to 4000 PSI....but it will cost you to get your spare tank/Pig or just a spare air tank....That just get the cost going....

Do you discharge the PCP receiver after each use? the simple answer is yes...never leave a gun loaded or crossbow cocked, where anyone could reach it....Just a safety rule of thumb that I have....down at the hunt club we never have a loaded rifle in camp....I would love to find a PCP that you could fill up with you home Air Compressors and deliver the accuracy of a Well known PCP...

I am open for any PCP rifles, and Deerhead is right, the PCP has been around for a very long time. The more I study them the more I am learning about them. Like any rifle platform we choose to look at, there is a lot of history involved....

Have been looking lately at the Benjamin Marauder System maybe in 25 caliber with its pump. All the reviews I had read about their pump it is marginal at best....a barrel break might be the best way to go, not sure just yet....Maybe I just will get the old RWS out and try some very different ammo (.177) in it....but the noise is another thing....Ready so-so reviews of the Gamo Whisper Series so I am not convinced that is the way to go as well......

The Gamo Whisper is anything but a whisper. I'm very disappointed in mine. It's as loud as a .22 and I cannot use it around the house for critter control because of the noise. However on a separate note, it is very accurate and deadly out to 40 yards.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
52 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 52 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Yep, the PCP guns have been around a long time - Lewis & Clark had one along on their famous expedition a couple hundred years ago.  Have been drooling over them for a couple of years now but not yet ready to open the wallet.  They really begin to shine in the bigger bores (.25 and bigger) from a performance standpoint.  The small bore break barrel air guns are tough to beat from a price & performance viewpoint, if that smaller bore meets your needs.  But for an air gun, noise goes along with performance - - some of the shrouded barrel designs seem quieter than their peers, but they still carry a pretty good crack when that pellet leaves the muzzle.

For any of you guys with common break barrel guns that are looking for a quick improvement, go check out Charlie Da Tuna's web page to see if he sells a trigger upgrade for your model.  I put one on my Gamo a few years ago and am very pleased with the excellent feel of that trigger vs. the horrendous thing that came on the factory gun.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Madgomer - It's called the Girandoni, A couple of years ago, maybe 5 or so, read about it in a NRA magazine then, went to Youtube and found this video.....everyone please take the time to watch this video....this was an amazing rifle for its time...and they found an original in all places Oregon!!! from some collector...a couple of guys who are into making replicas of old rifles read about this rifle in the Lewis and Clark Papers over 30 times it was mention......

But think those PCP air compressors prices are going down a bit...you can get them for around $350 to $500, Sure you can get a foot pump for around $130 and $200 but for another couple of hundred you could get one that does it for you...save the old leg!!!.....it sure seems like you would discharge the piston in the PCP air rifle after a day's use....was thinking of the 25 caliber...would be deadly on squirrels, rabbits and yotes in back yard.....

Still looking at them....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
Great video Bo .  ##$%#115 ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:22:38 PM »
Bo, they say you're supposed to keep the reservoir pressurized on the PCP guns when you're not using them.  Not sure at this point if it's because it's better to have all of the seals constantly loaded up, or if it's simply a matter of not wanting to re-charge the unit with a hand pump when you want to shoot if that's your only option.  The compressor prices are dropping, but with that you probably would also want a portable charge tank if you're going to be away from wall power for a bunch of shooting.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
Mad - I can see that after thinking about it for a few minutes of thinking about it....hummm....I can see why a foot pump to keep the reservoir pressurized would be a viable option and they are much cheaper!!....I saw a charge tank when I was looking at the whole package....still have my eye on a couple of them....but you can certainly spend a ton of money of a complete set up....more than a center fire deer rifle....LOL...thanks for the info.....

Sun - I saw the video a few years ago and thought that is an amazing feat they accomplished...and even more, was the fact that during the Napoleon Period when the air rifle was the standard issue of Austria Army!!! 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
The Benjamin Bulldog in .357 is still probably at the top of my list.  There are a couple of .25s that look really good for less than $400 now, but I think I need something with a bigger bore, mainly want to ventilate some coyotes on the edge of a nearby subdivision.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad