New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Leupold Thermal Optic  (Read 1127 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Leupold Thermal Optic
« on: January 15, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »
New Leupold LTO stands for Leupold Thermal Optic Monocular which was released just before the Shot Show this year looks interesting and it has potential...they said it is good for 600 yards, but I doubt it...that is a long ways especially at night....I do like the price though, compared to the FLIR product line...I have a older Bushnell night vision binoculars that are good to about 75 yards. The are in a binocular back but a monocular front...they work fantastic...but their range in limited.

I will set back up and wait till Leupold comes up with a binocular that is good out to about 200 yards. I don't think I could hold a monocular steady enough to use it in hunting situations....but I can see the advantages of using a Thermal site these days....What are some of your thoughts on this or any other night vision equipment.....

I have attached a link to one of the shot show blogs I read all the time.....

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2017/01/14/shot-show-2017-showcase/
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Leupold Thermal Optic
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
Yeah the FLIR stuff is very pricy.  A couple of really attractive things (to me) of thermal vision systems is that you can use them in daytime or nighttime situations, and there's no focusing to deal with like conventional night vision.  I'd love to have one, just too much of a tightwad.  Wonder when Leupold will go beyond monoculars & put this in a rifle scope.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
I will be checking out the Seek thermal viewer that you can use with you smart phone . I have picked up the unit and will be using i this spring .
  www.thermal.com/products/compact    this is link to it .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
I've always been intrigued, but never gone through with it. I don't do any night hunting at this point. you never know though ()*$%RT
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 05:50:30 AM »
Still have my eye on this...would be nice to help track deer and help finding yotes or predators at night....will keep my eye on it and check it out. When it first came out it was getting average reviews but the reviews are getting better as time goes buy and more folks get these in their hands....

Probably what happen, Leupold had a test market of folks and then let it out to the general public, awaiting comments and suggestions from them...and they (Leupold) are tweaking their product and may come out with a LTO 2 product.....who knows.....

But I can see the benefit in having a product like if you are trying to find a downed deer or at night hunting for yotes, foxes or other predators.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
i've been looking at these to. i believe it's a line of site tool. the thicker the woods, the less effective they are. that is an issue where i hunt

great idea though. price isn't crazy either
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Yeah - my itch for a thermal device of some sort is getting stronger all the time, mainly for chasing yotes & other nighttime vermin.  Would really prefer it as a rifle scope, but starting to think that just a monocular could work for spotting them, then rely on a scope mounted LED to light them up enough for a shot. I just keep hoping someone jumps in with a solid thermal scope at a significantly lower price point to start a little price war among the current players.  Have read up on the topic enough to know that I don't want a conventional night vision scope, not even if I could get a Gen 3 for a good price. 
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
i've been looking at these to. i believe it's a line of site tool. the thicker the woods, the less effective they are. that is an issue where i hunt

great idea though. price isn't crazy either

i don't know what i was thinking of. i just saw an ad for these at $900. that's a lot more than i was thinking. my bad
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
Yari - Flir's Scout monocular is in that price range you noted.  They have some more advanced models out there for 2X that price, but seem to currently be the lower end of the price range for a dedicated thermal imaging device
and enjoy it!

Online Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »
Yari, just got an email from Midway today with a sale on their Leopold stuff.  You were correct, their price on the LTO was $700.  But, it's on sale for $400!!!  Thinking it might be time to snag one
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
let us know how it works mad
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:01:16 AM »
Was browsing the Leupold Products on Midway USA website and saw a refurbished LTO for a couple of hundreds off....that is a good deal if, if it is as good as they advertise...out to 600 yards for thermal imagery?? I think I will wait till revision 2, 3 or even 4 before I decide on one...may not get one at all...the jury is still out on this product so far.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »
good idea. this is pretty new technology
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:39 PM »
Yeah Bo, I had that refurbished one at Midway for 399 in my cart but did a little more research before I hit the checkout button, and ended up backing out.  The main reason is that unlike the FLIR scout, you hold this thing away from your eye to view the display (depending on your focal length, that might be arm's length.  The result is that it lights you up.  Now if you only wanted this for tracking/finding an animal after the shot, I don't see it as a weakness.  However, I am really looking for something to help me locate yotes prior to the shot in darkness, so after learning that I'm looking at this thing as if it was my phone (with a much smaller display) rather than through it as a monocular, I decided it won't do what I need it to.  I'm sure it has potential benefits for a lot of folks, but just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

As for the claimed 600 yard range - most of the reviews indicated it would have to be something relatively large to pick it up, and even then you could only say there was "something" out there, identification of what that something is wouldn't be practical until you get much closer.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad