New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow Broadheads  (Read 651 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Crossbow Broadheads
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
Found out that my broadheads (G5 Striker Crossbow Broadheads) were shooting around 1-1/2 inches to the right and low than the field points. I could adjust the sight on the crossbow or find a bh that shoots exactly like fielpoints. Not sure what to do. The difference was at 20 yards and I usually don't shoot farther than that. Maybe the difference isn't an issue at that range. I am still in the kill zone but would like to be dead on if possible. Any recommendations?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Crossbow Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
Bearclaw, have you tried weighing the G5s to ensure that they are the exact same weight as the field tips you are using? Just a thought.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
52 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 52 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
Good suggestion from Gutshot.  Fixed blade broadheads will always be more prone to shift than a mechanical, but there should be some things you can do to close the gap.  A few more questions for you:

Was there much of a crosswind when you were shooting?  How many different bolts/broadheads did you shoot, and were they grouping consistently to each other?  If you had one that was a flier vs. the others, did you try swapping broadheads to see if the shift follows the broadhead to another shaft?  I'd recommend a spin check to look for anything off center/bent/etc.  How big are your vanes on the bolts?  Is there anything in your crossbow manual that makes mention of tuning?  On a vertical bow of course you can mess with nock point, center shot, limb balance, etc - I have no clue what "tuning knobs" are available on an X-bow.  My Horton Havoc is shooting target points and Grim Reapers in the same hole - but the Grim reapers are a mechanical head.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
No crosswind. Field points hit dead on. Shot two Striker G5 crossbow broadheads and hit in the same hole. I did kill a doe during the early archery season with it. I shoot the Barnett Headhunter bolts that came with the crossbow. Haven't tried anything else either with bolts or broadheads.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
If you use a scope on it, I'd be leaning to re-zero it for the broadheads, and count the clicks (or re-set the knobs) so you can put it back for your field points later if you're going to do a bunch of target shooting.  My personal preference is to be dead on with my hunting equipment - if I have to be off a couple of inches, I'd rather it be when I'm punching paper or a bag.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »
I shot the G5 T 3's and they are dead on.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • 18 Point
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »
I moved to a mechanical for my nephew. fixed blades just floated too much.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:07 AM »
In addition to what has already been mentioned I also would also check the following.

I buy small rubber washers from the hardware that I place on the threaded shaft of the broadhead so that I can index them relative to the vanes of the arrow.

I find most fly best when aligned with the vanes of the arrow, some fly better when offset a bit. I do thos for mechanicals as well as some fly different. I have also bad occasions where practice heads flew different then the real deal.

If your bow uses notched nocks or capture nocks  check to make sure they are properly aligned on each arrow and they they are not causing the arrow to twist in the channel causing vane pressure on either side when engaging the string.  You can eyeball this and look for wear on the bow or vanes.

If you are using a compound type crossbow check the cam index. There are often marks on the came for this. When at rest and at full draw the cams should be rotated the same amount relative to each other. Over time cables can stretch causing sligh differences in timing which could affect arrow flight.  I usually have to adjust mine a few times after swapping string and cables as they stretch a little. You can correct it by applying a few twists to the opposing cable. You will need a press to do this with most models.

If you have one or more that consistently fly different try checking the sline alignment. Despite being shorter, spine still comes into play with crossbow arrows, and it will be more noticable with broadheads.  The simplest way to test/correct this is to try to use a different vane in the down/chanel position. Note the correct cock vane with a sharpie if it differs from already marked as such. Note, depending on the type of nocks your bow uses (i.e. flat vs. Notched or full capture) you will have to adjust those as well to prevent misfire/dryfire situations.

Most fixed blade broadheads fly better with more weight out front. It helps stabilize them. You can try adding some weight (brass washers) or jumping up to a heavier broadhead. Personally i would not worry about a little loss in speed this may cause. Make sure to adjust your scope for the change in drop if you do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:32:59 AM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • 18 Point
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
This is what we use...  http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11667404

2 blade rage crossbow broadheads
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
At the end of the day, just as every shotgun used for deer hunting shoots differently for each brand of slug used, the same situation arises with shooting broad heads out of a cross bow. They say that if your bow is "perfectly tuned" the blades should shoot exactly like the field points. I have two things to say to that===I have NEVER been able to tune my compound or my cross bow perfectly and secondly, you need to pick a broad head/shaft/fletchings you trust and simply sight it in as it is. If your hunting arrows shoot the same place consistently, move  you scope/sights to hit the bull. When you go back to using field points, transition again and use the practice for fundamentals and muscle build up. If I ever need to change the brand of slug that I use (had to when the one I was using had their factory in Germany blow up and they did not rebuild-Dan Arms) you find the brand that shoots the best in your gun and make the sight adjustments to zero it it. Just my thoughts!
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point
    • NYFD
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »
Rage with the largest blade deployment size

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/x-treme-crossbow/
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
I shoot an older Excalibur and I use their Boltcuuter fixed broadheads 150gr. They hit right where the field points hit everytime so I have nver tried anything different. They kill deer and fly true so far. I agree I would tune my bow to the broadheads no the field tips. Do your field tips weight the same as your broadheads?? I would start there Good luck
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »
I shoot the MUZZY Trocar broadheads in the 125 gr and have no complaints.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

Tried Muzzy Trocar X-bow HB this season and they've shot accurately and killed two.                    %^$^
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

New Page 3

Google Ad