New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: M&P Shield  (Read 2120 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: M&P Shield
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »
MI - You comments are needed for this thread...my thinking about the 9 mill is that if I to get some off of me, the 9 would be more manageable with one hand, hope that never happens, because I will not let anyone get that close to me that I don't know this is sort of why I went with the 9 over the 40, it is sort of in between the 380 and the 40.....

I don't own a 40, but do own a 45 auto from way back when, I know it has knock down power from any distance you deem necessary! I have a wife in the house, who doesn't go to the range except to go with me to shoot the muzzle loader, for some strange reason, she likes the smoke associated with the smoke pole!!! But because of that fact, I wanted something that she could shoot with it jumping out of her hand, and I know in the heat of the moment, more women who don't shoot a lot and doesn't hold a firm grip on the pistol are more likely to lose control of it and wind up getting shot with their own pistol...that is why a 380 is good for women, doesn't have the knock down power of a 40 or 45 but doesn't have the recoil either...there are so many thoughts about this subject....just the other night, was having her hold the Shield in her hand to see how it fit in her hand. She has been to the range enough to know about recoil, that isn't a problem with her, it fit in her hand really good...next step is to take her to the range with it and the smoke pole and have her shoot both...with the barrel being ported it going to be loud, but how loud is yet to be known....

When you buy you a pistol, you buy it for the wife and not you, it should fit her hand with a little room to spare....I have taught her to shoot a burst of 3 each time she pulls the trigger.   

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Bo, to add a one more tidbit, my carry rounds in my are +P+ which have a sharper rocoil than anything I shot out of the 40 that I had. LOL

Given the plethora of commercially available loads out there, which is expanded greatly if you reload, I would not let the subtle differences in recoil deter someone from one round or the other.  .

As a side. I once had a small ultra light revolver in .357. If was a dream to shoot with std 38 rounds and still fun with 38+p rounts. Shoot a couple .357 rounds and it was downright painfill and after a few rounds it got harder and harder to hit anything.  I think the most brutal recoil I have experienced were full power loads out of a short barreled Ruger Alaskan in .454. 

Most importand is to find a gun that fits the shooters hand.  If grip and form are bad recoil will be unmanageable regardless of caliber and you will not want to shoot and become proficient with the gun.  I'm not going to open the caliber can of worms, people need to buy guns thay are comfortible with and forget about caliber. A 22 that you can hit a mouse with at 20 yards is going to be a much better gun for you then a 44 that you cant hit a barn with. I cannot stress this last point enough.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
Bo, to add a one more tidbit, my carry rounds in my are +P+ which have a sharper rocoil than anything I shot out of the 40 that I had. LOL

Given the plethora of commercially available loads out there, which is expanded greatly if you reload, I would not let the subtle differences in recoil deter someone from one round or the other.  .

As a side. I once had a small ultra light revolver in .357. If was a dream to shoot with std 38 rounds and still fun with 38+p rounts. Shoot a couple .357 rounds and it was downright painfill and after a few rounds it got harder and harder to hit anything.  I think the most brutal recoil I have experienced were full power loads out of a short barreled Ruger Alaskan in .454. 

Most importand is to find a gun that fits the shooters hand.  If grip and form are bad recoil will be unmanageable regardless of caliber and you will not want to shoot and become proficient with the gun.  I'm not going to open the caliber can of worms, people need to buy guns thay are comfortible with and forget about caliber. A 22 that you can hit a mouse with at 20 yards is going to be a much better gun for you then a 44 that you cant hit a barn with. I cannot stress this last point enough.

I can't agree any more with this statement.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »
Ligpd & MI_Bowhunter - I know exactly what you guys are talking about....Believe me my Kel Tec PM30 in 22 Mag is accurate enough to carry but it does not have enough knock down power but since it holds 30 rounds, a single round is not enough to take a perpetrator down, but enough shots, say about 3 or 4, should stop someone in their tracks....the Hornady Critical Defense is a 45 gn bullet velocity will run anywhere between 1050 to 1150 fps and should have in the neighborhood of 250 and 275 ft lbs of energy. That should be enough to stop someone if they are hit several times with a 22 Mag....The 380 Auto has similar specs. A 9 mill is better yet. I have 3 Judges in the house loaded for me and not her. I have a several other pistols that are located in strategic locations that have shot shell for the first two rounds. Then there is the Mossberg 410 pump shotgun...You guys know what a shotgun will do inside the house!!! What a mess!!   

In my mind I was thinking about the woman in my house, what can she handle and what will stay in her hand for if necessary follow up shots? To many times I have ready reports where the woman is shot by her own weapon simple because of recoil Certainly not a P+ rounds or a 40 Caliber or a 357!! I was thinking that a 380 Auto, 32 Auto, a 22 Mag (Not a 25 Auto for sure) and the recoil it has. If it were me or you, then a 9 mill or a 40 or 45 would be very good to have, because we are award of the noise and recoil it has because we have shot the pistol enough to realize. A woman will generally shot it at the range with hearing, eye protection and even with gloves on only one time and then put it away. Will not buy more than one brand or ammo, generally what the store where she bought the pistol at. She will not try different ammo to see what is the most accurate round would be. So if she is attacked or a home invader breaks in then she knows where the pistols are at, will retrieve it and point it. By this time the perpetrator has disarm the woman and has her weapon in his hand. 

I take my wife to the range every quarter just to shoot. When I go I spend 4 to 6 hours at the range, but with her I have to combine the trip with a stop at Walmart, Kroger, Dollar General and then onto the range then finish it off with a good Lunch or Dinner at a Mexican Restaurant. That is how I get her out to the range with me, and it is just her and I then....I strongly recommend taking her to the range with you or better yet, let her go with a set of female friends who shoots...it is good for her to have a female buddy who likes to shoot....Her daughter packs a pistol a 9mm due to her job in family services. She has to qualify every 6 months with it and she shoots every quarter. I have told my wife on a number of occasions that she needs to tag along with her....

I am worried about her (or any woman) getting back on target with the pistol for the second and third shots, with heavy recoil, it would surprise her and the time it takes to get back on is around 3 to 4 seconds to get back on target, shaking. It is in their nature, they won't shoot to start with they will freeze up! (Not trying to offend any women here on TH) They will think the perpetrator will run away if confronted and as you both know, this isn't the case anymore. But getting back on target and firing repeating shots until the perpetrator is down or flees the area.  When an event like this happens, you got to preach into their minds, it you or them, they are out to kill you, so you got to get a mindset for that way....so the caliber isn't as important as accuracy is, you got to get something that she is comfortable with and enjoys shooting and isn't afraid of it...

So, I agreement with both of you guys, and I have said here on TH many times that you buy home defense weapon for the wife so it fits her hand and not yours, it obvious it will fit yours....the caliber isn't as important as accuracy goes, this I agree with, but it takes practice more practice at the range for both of you. Also finding the right ammo that your pistol likes and is accurate is the other part of this equation. Like our buddy Dutch preaches, - Practice, practice, practice!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
My response may be off topic just a tad, that it is not about the M&P, but the last paragraph posted by Bo has what I consider the answer to the self/home defense issue....the caliber is not as important as accuracy goes, etc, then practice, practice, practice! 
That being said, who will volunteer to begin at 7 yards and approach a woman to harm her, if they know she is armed, ready to respond?  The other side of that is criminals/druggies, etc. don't always think about what they are about to encounter. Being able to handle the weapon for the follow up shots is critical.  This is where I'll get some flak ;).  Consider coming up against a woman with an SR22 10+1 equipped with a laser.  If she can put 11 rounds in a milk jug at 21 feet, logically we wouldn't be one to take that chance, would we @--0--0117.  Logic out the window, I'd rather have my wife and her confidence in her SR22 face the perpetrator than she face a criminal with a handgun that after the 1st shot, she has no control.
I carry a 9mm, she carries the .22, we are both over 70, we are comfortable with that.  The laser is her "go to sight"  but in addition, lasers are at times a deterrent.
I've read all the pros and cons for years concerning the .22 as a defense weapon but yet haven't found anyone who would volunteer to prove their point, that is by being on the receiving end.
Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone who doesn't believe the miniscule .22 will get the job done.
Treefarmer

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
If you can shot a 22 well, than the 22 would make an usable defensive weapon and much better than a larger caliber that you cannot shot well.  Just my opinion for what it is worth
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
a 22 loaded with hollow points would be way better than nothing, IMO. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Treefarmer - I'm lined up with you, Zos, and Louie - would much rather have a .22 than nothing, and a big gun which someone is scared of may essentially be "nothing" as you never know how your mind will respond in a bad situation. 

I always used to dread sighting in or checking zero on my 12 guage deer guns, but at the same time, when the time came to drop a deer I wasn't thinking about the recoil and frankly don't usually even remember it after the fact.  Obviously that's not the same as a life or death situation (for me), but similarly if I had to face a perpetrator with my 1911 or better still my .44 mag, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be thinking about the recoil and wouldn't hesitate.  But each human reacts differently, so if you can take the "fear of your own gun" concern off the table, you're a step ahead in the ugly situation.

Rule #1 of a gunfight - have a gun.  (Jeff Cooper)

And another Cooper favorite:  "Having a gun doesn't make you armed any more than having a guitar makes you a musician."
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »

Treefarmer - I'm lined up with you, Zos, and Louie - would much rather have a .22 than nothing, and a big gun which someone is scared of may essentially be "nothing" as you never know how your mind will respond in a bad situation. 

I always used to dread sighting in or checking zero on my 12 guage deer guns, but at the same time, when the time came to drop a deer I wasn't thinking about the recoil and frankly don't usually even remember it after the fact.  Obviously that's not the same as a life or death situation (for me), but similarly if I had to face a perpetrator with my 1911 or better still my .44 mag, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be thinking about the recoil and wouldn't hesitate.  But each human reacts differently, so if you can take the "fear of your own gun" concern off the table, you're a step ahead in the ugly situation.

Rule #1 of a gunfight - have a gun.  (Jeff Cooper)

And another Cooper favorite:  "Having a gun doesn't make you armed any more than having a guitar makes you a musician."
I like that. 

My #1 rule of a gunfight would be to win.

I saw a preview of a movie the other day that had a cool line. And he said it great enthusiasm, "YOU GOTTA HATE WHAT YOU'RE SHOOTING AT!"
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
    Bo do you have to pay for a background check in Tennesee? If so how much does it cost? Background checks are free here in Mn.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
Notsams - Thanks for your question...yes it cost $10 for the background check. Most stores will ring it up separately and it will be an line item on your Bill of Sale receipt....

Sunday - Went ahead and picked up and ordered two more 8 shot magazines for the Shield 9 mill...I will have eight 8 shot magazines and one 7 shot magazine....

I agree with the premise that an accurate pistol is better than one you cannot hit the wall with...totally agree...having said that my favorite pistol of all times has to be the Kel Tec PMR-30. It is a 22 mag pistol and holds 30 rounds...each magazine has 25 round of Hornady Critical Defense Ammo in it....It is very accurate load, 3" group at 20 yards (60 ft) is what I shot last year and have shot mostly 4 inches group is the norm for this pistol....So I keep 3 magazines loaded at all times and do swap out the magazines (have 8 total and they are numbered just like the S&W Shield 9 mill) when the time changes....I will take it every time I take the better half to the range with me and let her shoot it. Have not let her shoot the Shield 9 mill yet, will do that in a couple of months....

Ammo has changed a lot in the last 10 years and one has to chose carefully and look over all the ammo available to see which ammo suites your home defense profile the best. For me I am an old shot gunner, figuring the intruder will be doing his best work at night and I will do my best work with shot shell or 410 shotgun or Judge type pistol....I have a few pistols scatter around the house all of them 38 special shot shell or 410 in them....again this is just me and it will not fit other people home defense profiles....

I chose the M&P Shield 9 mill over a 380 and use the Critical Defense Ammo in it...have not check to see how it groups at 20 to 25 yards, but will do so next few times to the range, just wanted to check the functionality of the pistol this past Friday...along with the 9 mill Canik.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
I like the M&P Shield 9mm so much, I went ahead and purchased another one!!! so now I have two, just like the one I purchased before, with the ported barrel, enhanced trigger and fiber optic sights, from their performance center....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
Really interested to hear your opinions of the ported barrel vs. standard as you get a chance to shoot them side by side.  Wondering if the added noise is more of a disadvantage than whatever benefit you get from reduced muzzle flip. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:22 AM »
Mad - Have own the first 9mm Shield for about 6 weeks now and have taken it to the range to get a feel for it...the ported will help you get back on or stay on target...quicker than a non-ported, in my humble opinion..of course it is louder than a regular pistol and hopefully will never need to use it in a defensive situation....it has a nice feel for my medium hands...fits in them real nice...

Was down at deer camp last year on our annual hunt week (now, its more like two weeks, yippie), and have been seriously looking at 380 Ruger, Bodyguard. Have a Browning BDA and a Bersa Thunder in 380. Both Split Toe and Metalman have the Ruger LCP in 380, it is a real impressive "Get off me gun". But when Deerhead pull out his M&P Shield, 9mm it really felt like a second skin and fitted my hand perfect...Don't like to use that word to often, but it does feel perfect in my hand. At the range shot both two hand and single hand. I have other 9mm and you have to hold them with both hands in order to make it accurate and it you are holding 9mm with one hand it has quiet a bit of recoil...so with this Shield being ported, you can shoot it very comfortable with one or both hands....

I can always say the second one is for the wifey....LOL...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad