New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Where Should I shoot A Whitetail Deer  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Pure Instinct

• Spike
    • Pure Instinct Hunting
Where Should I shoot A Whitetail Deer
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
Here is a new informative article on vitals

Check it out let me know what you think?

http://www.pureinstincthunting.com/where-should-i-shoot-a-whitetail-deer/

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Where Should I shoot A Whitetail Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »
Generally agree, although I will say I have taken a couple of straight-down shots and one quartering-to, each one successfully.  Obviously not as high of odds as a beautiful broadside shot or quartering away, but at the ranges I'm generally shooting (typically inside 20 yds) and with the energy I'm launching with, I have high confidence in the shots.  Not advocating them for every hunter or every situation (and have passed on many of those myself) but won't put them in the "never" category.  I do have the "Texas heart shot" in my "never" box however.  Overall good summary - thanks!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
I mostly agree with the article, but might take a quartering to shoot depending on the angle and range
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
I tend to agree but I will take some shots with a gun that I will not with a crossbow. There are shots I may take with a crossbow but not a longbow.

I have been razzed by several hunting friends for passing on game that they said they would have dropped in a heartbeat. I have passed on a LOT of deer in my life just do to angle, distance, etc. The last one that comes to mind was a few years ago hunting with a longbow. I had the biggest 8 point I have ever seen 10 yards out from my tree stand and passed because the deer was facing me or quartering to me the entire time he was in range.  I just did not feel confident enough to make the pinpoint shot needed to take him down using the equipment I was using in that situation. Its a really tough call when your trophy is in sight.  My brother grazed the same deer the next night from his blind and he was using a compound.

I was taught ethics and safety above meat in the freezer..something I feel is becomming lost with a lot of the newer generation of hunters...but that may another topic...
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
i do agree. broadside or quartering away only w/ a bow. never take a quartering to or straight down. I've recovered broadheads from both straight down and front shot bucks. you could get lucky, but not worth the risk @--0--0126
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
The ability to hit the right spot is king.  I'm not going to try to convince anyone they should take a straight down or quartering to shot, but at the same time every broadside shot is not a guarantee of success either (preaching to the choir I know).  Distance, wind, brush, deer temperament, and archer's skill under pressure all come into play.  Dad cut up more than one deer with broadheads in shoulder blades or vertebrae from broadside shots that didn't pan out.  I'm sure a lot of you would laugh hysterically at shots I've passed on (in hindsight I know some I should have taken.)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »
i'm overly cautious on my shots, but better safe than sorry
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER