New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question on buck color this fall - UPDATE  (Read 1085 times)

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Question on buck color this fall - UPDATE
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:50:47 PM »
Monday I was setting in my ground blind when a 1 1/2 year old 4 pointer passed by , his coat was darker than I have ever seen , I was wondering if any other northern hunters have seen the same thing as far as a really dark colored winter coat this year ?  ##$%#1118
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:57:19 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Question on buck color this fall
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:14:18 PM »
Nope haven't noticed that this year any more than normal, but some bucks lose that reddish/orange coat & switch to grey/brown sooner than others.  Usually it seems the more mature/dominant bucks in a given area get darker earlier than the subordinates - - haven't been taking data to prove that point, but it seems to be the general trend I've noticed.  Have always suspected it's some sort of hormone thing.  On that little guy, I suspect he's not the boss buck, so my theory is probably worthless.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »
Nope haven't noticed that this year any more than normal, but some bucks lose that reddish/orange coat & switch to grey/brown sooner than others.  Usually it seems the more mature/dominant bucks in a given area get darker earlier than the subordinates - - haven't been taking data to prove that point, but it seems to be the general trend I've noticed.  Have always suspected it's some sort of hormone thing.  On that little guy, I suspect he's not the boss buck, so my theory is probably worthless.
Yes but his back was almost black , today I was talking with another that hunter who hunts the area and he has also noticed the color change this year .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »
Hmmm - wonder if it's something they're rolling around in.  Can't say I've seen anything like that.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
sorry, they look normal around here. if anything, they are a little lighter. could be a genetic thing in your area?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:40:40 AM »
I have not noticed that with any of the deer I have seen thus far.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »
Ours  in Indiana are pretty much normal color too.

Maybe you are in for an unusually cold winter there!!?? @--0--0121
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
Sundowner,
What about the idea that of deer having naturally darker or lighter coats similar to human skin complexions.  I'm aware of the summer/winter color differences and just this week pulled a camera card that had a bunch of does and fawns around a corn feeder.  One doe really stood out as she was a lot darker than the others around her.  I'm sorry I deleted most of those pictures, but here is one that shows 3 does and a spotted fawn that shows her with a darker shade than the others. 

A couple of years ago we had an old doe that had a very pronounced black stripe along her top line, up her neck with a very noticeable black face.  She had an almost black fawn, a buck that stayed around the next season as a spike.  Never saw him again.  Looking at pictures you get an idea what's going on and then sitting in the stand after a few weeks, I can usually recognize does and their little ones by their color and sometimes by their actions.  We usually get to watch quite a parade for the 1st half of the season before the rut really kicks in out in January and February.  A pair of fawns showing up without momma makes you look a little closer and see if it's about to happen!
Treefarmer

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
Sundowner,
What about the idea that of deer having naturally darker or lighter coats similar to human skin complexions.  I'm aware of the summer/winter color differences and just this week pulled a camera card that had a bunch of does and fawns around a corn feeder.  One doe really stood out as she was a lot darker than the others around her.  I'm sorry I deleted most of those pictures, but here is one that shows 3 does and a spotted fawn that shows her with a darker shade than the others. 

A couple of years ago we had an old doe that had a very pronounced black stripe along her top line, up her neck with a very noticeable black face.  She had an almost black fawn, a buck that stayed around the next season as a spike.  Never saw him again.  Looking at pictures you get an idea what's going on and then sitting in the stand after a few weeks, I can usually recognize does and their little ones by their color and sometimes by their actions.  We usually get to watch quite a parade for the 1st half of the season before the rut really kicks in out in January and February.  A pair of fawns showing up without momma makes you look a little closer and see if it's about to happen!
Treefarmer
Over the years I have seen this in older deer but not this dark , in fact he was even darker than your doe , but he is only 1 1/2 years old in the past I have heard them call swamp bucks and there is one in the area and I do not have any pictures of this buck this year .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
Have not noticed this year but I have noticed over the years that deer that hang out in swamps have very dark legs and are generally darker all over than deer that don't hang in the wet.  @--0--0117
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: Question on buck color this fall - UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
Here are some pictures that show some of the referent colors the bucks compared to does (fawn) . 
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
my middle Ga buck was very dark gray in color so were others killed in our area.
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
I saw a whitetail buck this week in SD that was gray and holed up w/ a mulie doe. I saw no other gray deer
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
Just like most animals, there are some color differences within a species that can be genetically passed down
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad