New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: GA - First Hunt - End of Archery and Beginning of Muzzle Loader  (Read 666 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
GA - First Hunt - End of Archery and Beginning of Muzzle Loader
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »
Went down for my first hunt of the year, spent the last three days of Archery Season and the first three days of muzzle loader season. First morning it was great and sort of cool..around 44 but warmed up into the upper 80's!!!! Anticipation filled my head since I have retired, this is the first time I had done a hunt like this. One guy (Cobbguy) nailed a doe and Jap51 found it within a few minutes. Got it field dress and to the cooler within the hour. Split Toe, Deerhead, Jap51, Cobbguy and I were there for this first hunt.

Saw a bunch of does and smaller bucks....had a few blew at me.....but took nothing. Hunted out of ladder stands and blinds. The loggers started this past Monday and they were very loud...they are just doing their job....we did put up and move some ladder stands where they had already logged and burned. Next thing they will do is to come in and plant the pines! Took the Bone Collector Range Finder and the Leupold BX-1 Binos and used them in both places...both performed flawlessly. While in the blind, it is good to stick you head out of the blind to take readings. You will need to open your blind up wide to be able for all rangefinders to work. Had same issue last couple of years with the Lecia 1200 Rangefinder. The BX-1 Binos are really good, like them almost as much as the Vortex that was auction off at Summer Blast. The only draw back is that these binos are heavy and need to be carried and not worn. I always carry my fanny pack and put the binos in it and had no problem. They are steady and they focus sharp. With all the leaves still on the trees, the binos focus on those small spots in between the leaves!!! Good for the money...

We had about 10 guys there. We are having more and more guys retiring and we often have folks down there most of the week...so that is nice about it....The weather was so hot we hunting in the morning about 4 to 5 hours and then it got so hot, some when out to do the evening hunt for the last hour of daylight. It was hot......It's got to cool off soon!!! After the hunt, we settle in to watch football on the new camp HD TV..see picture...LOL...guy standing is Jap51 and the guy on the far right is Cobbguy..who left for Paris yesterday for two weeks!!!

Saturday night steaks is the standard meal at the club! We fix a salad and have taters with the steak!! Boy was it hard to get up Sunday morning....Attached is a picture of our camp chief - Split Toe, he is one fine cook...look at the grill, Dutch, Gutshot and I bought for Split last year....Great Job Split - Again...

Will go back again for Halloween and trick or treat the deer to a diet of 308's pills!!! Yippie...this hunt will be for 2 weeks, normally it is for one week. Most of the club members will go home for a shower and to sleep in their bed one or two nights during that time. I have to stay down two weeks, shucks darn, and hunt and use the camp shower!!!

One the way back from GA yesterday, saw 5 deer on the side of the road so the rut cannot not be far away...the chasing and seeking phase may be close along with the cooler weather....

Will continue to test both the binos and rangefinder and make recommendation probably in early December...will have two more extended hunts by then...hopefully the logger will be gone.....Split Toe, Deerhead, Jap51 please add your comments if you would like......

It was sure nice to take a home shower and sleep in my bed last night!!!

For the second two week hunt - Split Toe, Deerhead, Metalman, Jap51, Cobbguy and yours truly will be in attendance as well as about 8 to 10 more members....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:57:06 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: GA - First Hunt - End of Archery and Beginning of Muzzle Loader
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »
We had a great time. On Tuesday one of the members took a huge doe with a muzzle loader. Our firearm season opens this coming weekend 10/22 and we should have a good crowd for the opener. The weather sure has been hot...our food plots are about toast as we've had no rain for 30 days. The plots came up and were looking good. Got a cold front coming in Friday that will get the temp's in the mid 40's and upper 60's but no rain in sight for the next two weeks.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:26:42 PM »
looking good Bo @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
wow, that's what I call clearcut

glad you all had a great time
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:56:34 AM »
Sounds like a good time!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »
Sounds like a great time!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »
Reminds me of the good ole days! Glad you all had a good time.!!

Looking at those steaks grilling, made my mouth water!!!! ##$%#111 ##$%#111 ##$%#111 ##$%#111 ##$%#111
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:48:08 PM »
HEY BO WHAT COUNTY IN GA WERE  YOU HUNTING ?, WE WERE WORKING GETTING THINS READY FOR HUNTING SEASON IN TWIGGS COUNTY. GOING UP IN 9 DAYS MY PALS ARE GONG UP ON FRIDAY.
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
Now that sounds like a great time.  Enjoy it guys!

New Page 3

Google Ad