New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: How Much is Mathews Switchback Worth?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline BE_Huntin

• 6 Point
How Much is Mathews Switchback Worth?
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
I have a co-worker who's dad can no longer pull his bow back.  It's a Mathews Switchback (i believe 2008) and has 40 lb limbs.  A couple of questions...First, how much should I offer for the bow and second can the 40# limbs be swapped for heavier limbs?  The bow has a 4 pin sight (not sure of the brand) as well as a whisker bisquit rest. The bow is in great shape.

My son is 13 and harvested a beautiful 13 pointer two years ago with his Bear Apprentice 2.  He has hit a growth spurt and is 5'10" and has no trouble with the 40# of the switchback but the Bear Apprentice has been passed down to my 11 year old daughter.  I'm anticipating that after this year we'll get him into heavier limbs if that's an option. I borrowed the switchback for him to try and he shoots it very well.
Gone Thinkin'

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: How Much is Mathews Switchback Worth?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »
the wt is adjustable. i'm guessing the 40# is the minimum wt. it should say on the limbs both draw length and wt adjustments. I would start there. make sure the bow will fit him. draw length is very important for a solid anchor

as far as the price, look on EBAY for a clue. there have been many models since the switchback. it was $700-800 new. I would think it's now going for $200-400 max? but that is a complete guess. start on ebay

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:24:06 PM »
Is the 40 the max on the limbs?  Usually there is a 10-20+ pound adjustment range depending on the bow.

Not sure on the worth but as a general rule I have never paid more $250-300 for an 8 year old bow in that price category.  Deals are to be had when there are people that have to have the latest and greatest every model year.

I have recurring issues with my shoulder and a year ago I picked up a Parker Lightening for around $250 - New.  It is adjustable from 30-60#'s and has a draw length range of 19-29"  It's made to be adjustable as a kid grows.  I bought it for the wide adjustment range as I build shoulder strength back up.

Matthew's does make a darn fine bow.   I shot a Conquest for many years in both 3D and indoor target.  Just check prices on both new and old models before you make a decision.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
I love my switchback but my concern for your son would be the grip, might be on the big side unless he has larger hands.  I payed $200 for it and put another $150 into it.  New cams to fit my draw length, whisker biscuit, new string, and a new site.  Good luck
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:08:44 PM by tikkaman »
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline BE_Huntin

• 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. The limbs are max 40lbs which is also the minimum to hunt whitetails here in IL.  The draw length is 28" which is my son's current draw length.  The owner of the bow had a bad shoulder so had the light weight limbs on it for that reason. It still flings an arrow pretty darn hard.  I'll have to take another look to see if i can find the year of the bow. 

Gone Thinkin'

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
i'm sure you can adjust limbs wt and draw length. Mathews is pretty user friendly
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad