New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bow recommendations for a new user.....  (Read 1175 times)

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
Bow recommendations for a new user.....
« on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »
Ok gang I used a bow 25 years ago, a PSE which I still have, but I'm thinking about getting back into bow hunting.  Which bow would you recommend?  I wouldn't mind a crossbow but was actually thinking about a compound.  I'm looking at the Prime but have an open mind.  Also how much can I expect to spend on a good setup?
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
Re: Bow recommendations for a new user.....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
oh and I'm planning on deer hunting only....
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »
Best to go to your local archery shop and see what fits your needs as far as price that's up to you and either bow or crossbow are about the same price .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 10:22:56 PM »
at the shop shot all that you like and buy what you like the feel of there are many good bows out there
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:21:28 AM »
There are many great brands out there now. First thing I would do is research and find a dependable bow shop you can trust. That is the most important part. Then set you budget. You can get set up for under $500 but may not be as well equipped as say the $900 mark. Then go to the bow shop and look around. Figure out what weight you want to draw. Just because a bow can be set for 70 lbs doesn't mean it has to. After that, its just time to get going. Here is another link that may help.
http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=44453.0
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Go to your local archery shop and test shoot several and see which one feels the best for you. I would stick to the big name brands. PSE, Mathews, Bear or Hoyt.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
Ditto to all the comments so far.  You will be amazed how bows and their accessories have improved since your 25 year old PSE was made.  Arrow technology too. 

Avoid the big name stores. Find a reputable bow shop and test drive a few. You will know it when you shoot your new bow. She will sing your name in a sweet but very clear voice, "heflinsi! Buy me!"

I've told this story before but I doubt anyone here remembers it.  A few years ago I set out to buy a new bow.  Went to the shop and shot a couple. The Mathews Drenalin called my name.  I had an odd draw length so he had to order custom cams and string for it.  I got the call a few days later and I went to pick it up.  He took me back in his indoor range.  He had me draw and hold it.  He set my peep and sights and handed me back my bow.  He placed a golf tee in the target and had me aim at the tee.  He had me shoot 2 arrows from 20 yds.  Both were touching each other 2" high and 2" left of the tee.  He said, "hand me your bow".  He made a quick adjustment and told me to try again.  On the next arrow, the 3rd one shot from my new bow, I hit the golf tee.  He said, "shoot one more and aim at your arrow". The 4th arrow from my new bow was a Robin Hood! And it stuck. I still have it on my wall today.  He told me unless I want to spend a bunch of money on arrows I might want to aim at different bulls when I practice.  And he acted like it wasn't any big deal.  I'm thinking I just had a major epiphany with this new magic bow.  He was underwhelmed.   I was so dang excited i couldn't stand it. I still have that bow and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I love my Drenalin.     
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
Are you looking to get something to hunt with this year?

It's kind of late in the season to pick up a new one and develop good form become proficient enough to ethically hunt with this year.   If you are looking to hunt this year I would go with a crossbow.

That said, test shoot as many as you can.

The link HM posted already includes pretty much anything I would recommend.  But if you have some more specific questions let us know.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »
Sing your name... Love that!

I was shooting a New Breed bow and I liked it. I got talked into shooting a Mathews Z7 Extreme at the bow shop and it sung my name very loud. I left with it even though I had no intentions of buying a new bow. Still have it and it still sings my name 3 years later...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Online yari

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »
all great advise. the best is to go to a shop w/ all the different brands and give them a try. I did exactly that and liked the Mathews. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
Not much I can add to the excellent advice above.  Like the others have said, find a reputable archery shop & hook up with a knowledgeable person behind the counter, shoot a variety of brands/models, and be sure to fill them in with as many of your preferences as you can at this point.  Will you be shooting with sights and a release, instinctively & with fingers, etc?  From an open elevated stand or a ground blind?  Range you'll be expecting to shoot at while hunting?  Lots of little details that may cause them to nudge you in one direction or another.  I have a rather long draw length and started out shooting with fingers, so my local shop steered me in the direction of a relatively long-limbed bow (over 25 yrs ago, bows tended to be bigger then anyway) to avoid pinching.  Later on, moved to a release, an overdraw, etc and those things really made it more effective to run with a shorter bow.  Write as much of it down as you can & head to the shop, they'll help you sort it out.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
Wow I knew if I asked I would get good answers here.  I'm actually not in a hurry to get it into hunting this year.  Even though our season goes all the way till Feb 10th, 2017.  I am going to start checking bow shops, our best one went out of business, then I am taking some of the notes that I printed out from here.  I will keep you guys up to date.
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
Well I was just in your boat and I was the subject of, and started, the topic that HM listed.  HM and these guys are great and please listen to them closely.

A bow shop you trust is a must, if something goes wrong or you need tech advice where else can you go if you don't trust them?

Try as many as possible, do as I say not as I did, ha!

I purchased the Pse that my shop had and am completely satisfied with it and the equip it came with, for now.  I can see I will need to upgrade the sights, rest etc. shortly once I'm more consistent with it.

Bye the bye, right after I purchased it, I noticed a card on the board in the shop for a fully equipped Mathews for less than I paid for the new PSE, no body ever accused me of being patient. I mean fully loaded right down to hard case and extra arrows.  Wish I had looked into that before I bought new, but always afriad of buying others headaches.

Main thing I can tell you as a fellow newbie is get a bow you can pull comfortably NOW and from a shop you trust.  It can be adjusted up later.

I kinda had the same advice for a newbie wanting a first deer rifle, don't sweat getting it "right" or "perfect" there ain't no such animal (yes, I'm aware of the double negative, you know what I mean).

Any reputable bow or gun on the market will do the job on whitetails.  Get something you enjoy and you're more likely to stick with it and practice.  Besides, if you're like most of the gals and guys here, it may be you're first, but it wont be your last one.

Good luck!!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
I respectfully disagree with MI_Bowhunter.   IMO if you get yourself a good bow guy, and get a bow set up to you, and have him give you a lesson or two (which most will do if you buy from them), you will be shooting pretty tight groups almost immediately.  I do think practice is important and you can't practice too much.  But I think with the right bow and a commitment to practicing you can be ready to hunt in a week or two.

Nothing replaces time in the field (experience).  There are a lot of archers who can drill a bulls eye on a target but routinely make critical mistakes in the field.  Hunting is totally different than shooting at a target.  You have to learn from your mistakes in the field.  Nothing replaces that experience.  Forgetting to aim low and the deer jumping your string, shooting at a nervous deer, attempting to draw at the wrong time and getting busted, attempting too long of a shot, not accounting for wind, dropping something from your stand, not hunting the wind, not practicing scent control, etc etc etc are all mistakes most hunters make and learn from in the field.  But you can reduce those mistakes by making sure you are proficient at the range, setting your limits, and when in the stand running those situations through your mind before its go time.  Prepare and you will be good to go.  I say GO FOR IT! %^$^
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:09:13 AM by russcat »
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
Doggone it, I think Russcat must have been spying on me all these years - I've made darn near every one of those mistakes he listed (most more than once) with the exception of taking too long of shots - I missed two deer in my early years by grossly overestimating how far they were & launching arrows right over their backs.    %^$^
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad