New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Bow Damage  (Read 574 times)

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Bow Damage
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:08 AM »
My bow is dialed in and ready for Saturday morning, the first hunt of the year!  String is waxed, all the screws are tight, arrows are sharp, and bags are packed.  So last night I grabbed my bow to sling a couple of arrows as a confidence builder.  When I looked at my bow before shooting as I always doÖ YEP three days before opening day!  The serving at the bottom cam is loose and unraveling.  I canít believe it!  Now what do I do? 

There is not enough time to have a new string installed and sight the bow back in.  I cannot use my serving tool; there is not enough room because of the cable.  So I improvised!  I cut some serving string and served it by hand.  I overlapped the loose serving with the new serving making it tight and secure.  It is good as new and will get me though the season.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Bow Damage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
As an additional tip from my bow pro at the shop, put a couple drops of hot wax over the serving string. It's an additional safety thing he does to prevent unraveling.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »
I was watching "Pete's Tips" on bow madness one night and he suggested keeping dental floss in your pack for just that kind of thing. Then add melted wax...

Good thinking DH!
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
Good advice so far.   Some people like to use super glue, I see that on the crossbow forums a lot.  I strongly advise against it as anything I have ever put super glue on became brittle.  I hate to even bring it up but it is a habit I see too many people using and it is just unsafe IMHO

I also use dental floss and wax for quick fixes like this.   Using a hair dryer will heat the wax and allow it to soak into the string.  Just don't let it get too hot.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
i'd be afraid of super glue to. I always wax my serving when I wax the string

good luck this weekend
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »
I've used dental floss for a variety of purposes on my bowstrings - yep, agree with waxing over it too.  Superglue won't hurt in my opinion, but it's not going to be effective on wax, and doesn't hold up in moisture.  You're on the right track!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
That ain't good. Sounds like you found an answer to get through for a while good luck hunting.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad