New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: rifle project
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
Not, I have attached a PDF of 3 different trajectory charts for 6mm Creed. The muzzle velocity I used was 2960 fps for the 108 ELD Honady. I don't know your exact velocity just picked a fairly common one for a 26" tube. I used 400, 600 and 800 zero ranges in the tables.

Doing the math on your VX2 you have 67 MOA elevation adjustment. With a 800 zero range you should have almost enough adjustment to reach 1800. 400 & 600 would net 1500-1600.

I'm not sure if your VX has any graduation marks on the vertical crosshair line below center horizontal line. I try to get scopes with these "cheater" hash marks and use them as calibrated holdover marks. Sometimes at extreme range my target is not in my FOV. I use the vertical line to mark a POA above the target along this axis. Yes it takes several rounds and an understandingly patient spotter to help mark the POI so I can make adjustments to POA. MANY MANY more misses than hits in the beginning.

The long range mistress is a demanding lady but worth the trials and tribulations when that steel goes BOING. Welcome to the club. Let the yotes roll!
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2017, 03:07:02 PM »
Dutch Thanks for the interest and info.   A few weeks ago I replaced the VX2 and put on a VX3i to get more adjustment and more power and a side focus for getting a clearer picture at long range. This scope has 80 MOA of adjustment. As stated in a earlier post I have a 20 MOA base and have placed a .040 shim under the base. I fired 1 shot at 100 yards and the bullet hit 13 inches high and 1.5 inches left. I adjusted the scope down and at 35 clicks it stopped, so I fired 1 shot and it hit 4.5 inches high at 100 yards. Now I should have 80 moa of adjustment to go up. Next weekend if everything works out and the weather cooperates I will try to get on target at 1 mile.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
     Well it was a beautiful day today. I shot at 1000, 1200 and 1400 yards. All the shots landed about 40 inches high. I then went to 1600 yards and missed the target. The wind was picking up and I decided to try again when I had a spotter to hide in the woods so I don't have to drive back and forth after every shot.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
   Its -25 here and I'm stuck inside. I am going to clean the 6mm Creedmoor and put it in the safe till spring. I still have 4 days to try shoot a deer with the bow and then I'll hunt Coyotes till spring. I've really enjoyed the 6mm Creedmoor project and it's far from over. I still want to shoot a group at 1 mile with it . Then I'll get a custom turret made for it out to 1000 yards and it will become my winter pickup gun for Coyotes.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2018, 07:48:44 PM »
  I fired 3 shots through a crony today and got 3040,3030 and 3048 fps. That's an average of 3039 fps. I also pulled a bullet from the hornady match ammo and the powder charge weighed 40.2 gr. It is a short cut extruded powder.  I also sent a email to Hornady asking if they will tell me the powder they use in their match ammo. I don't think they will but I thought I would ask anyway. The factory ammo is unbelievably accurate, so if I can duplicate their ammo it will save me lots of time.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
Pretty unlikely that Hornady will tell you their recipe - about as likely as Coca Cola or Kentucky Fried Chicken giving your their secrets.  :-)    Might be able to narrow it down a bit by comparing their load data (I have one of the Hornady manuals) and trying to identify powders that produce that velocity with that pill in that load weight (what pill are you using?).  Might also want to post a photo of the powder and see if one of the gurus here can give you some leads. 

Or if all else fails, just keep shooting that factory stuff!

Glad to hear you were able to do a little shooting - did you get a bit of a warmup this weekend up there?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Madgomer

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »
Just had a need to run downstairs so looked at my Hornady manual while I was down by the bench - no 6 mm Creedmoor data there - :-(   But went to the Hornady site and found this pdf, includes load data for the 108 ELD.  I'd guess RL 16, 17, or perhaps that one in the middle (never heard of it).  Again, maybe if you can post a photo of the powder some of the gang here might be familiar enough with these three to say if it's a possibility.  Couldn't confirm what test barrel length Hornady used on this data set.

https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-creedmoor-all-data.pdf
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
Mad  Thanks for your help.    No it didn't warm up. Saturday morning it was -31.  I just had cabin fever so I worked thru it.     I agree on the reloader 16 or 17. I have some Reloader 19 and the powder is identical but  with reloader 19 it wouldn't get enough velocity with 40.2 gr.    I am using the 108 gr ELD match bullet. I really like the ammo but no I will definitely be reloading for the 6mm Creedmoor. I have about 15 rounds left and I hope to get it to 1 mile before I run out, but there is some Coyotes around that need to learn that sitting in the middle of a section might not be safe.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »
Mad    I forgot to mention that 1 of the reasons I want to duplicate the factory load is because they are quiet to shoot. Sometimes I shoot 2 or 3 shots before I realize I'm no wearing ear plugs.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
Hornady replied to my email. They said they use a proprietary blend of commercial grade powders not available to us but recommended H4350 or Reloader 16.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
I finally had the conditions I needed to try the 6mm Creedmoor again. I set up a target so I would be shooting south on Friday evening. I shot at 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 yards before I ran out of light. I left the target up and at 6.30 Saturday morning I shot at 1400 yards then when I was ranging to find 1500 yards my battery died on my rangefinder. Saturday evening I shot at 1500, 1550 and 1600 yards before I ran out of light. On Sunday morning it was to windy to shoot. This is the 1st time I ever hit the target past 1500 yards. My shot at 1,600 yards landed 20 inches low of the bullseye so next time I shoot I will give it 5 clicks to bring it up 20 inches. Then another 22 clicks to put it on target at 1650 yards.      That's about 90 more inches of drop in only 50 yards.

Online Madgomer

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
Very impressive - I can't imagine 1500 yard shots with the expectation of a hit, I clearly have a lot of work to do before I'm in that club.
and enjoy it!

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
nice shooting. you must have a heck of a scope to be able to make those adjustments
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
   On Friday evening the wind was out of the north and I shoot to the South so we set up the target and started shooting. 1st shot was 1650 yards, 2nd was 1700 yards then my 3rd shot hit at 1760 yards.  I only had 1 more factory loaded round and I wanted to shoot a group. My bullet had hit 33 inches low and 4 inches left of the bullseye. I should of adjusted my scope up because my next shot missed the target. I might of missed the target by a inch or by feet I don't know but my 1st shot at 1 mile hit the target so I reached my goal.    My rifle is sighted in 4.5 inches high at 100 yards. With the .30 shim under the base and the scope is adjusted all the way down and is still 4.5 inches high. My adjustments equaled 95 feet in order to reach the target at 1 mile.      Last week while shooting at 1,550 yards my bullet hit a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and didn't penetrate it. The 6mm creedmoor is very accurate but doesn't have much energy left at long range.         Now I have to see if my handloads have the same long range potential that the factory loads do.

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »
long range there. never tried it since i don't have a place to try it.

it doesn't surprise me there was no penetration. 6MM is close to a 243 if i remember correctly. that's a lot to ask

congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad