New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5644 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: rifle project
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
   I can't get to 1400 yards with my scope setup. I ordered a 20 moa base to get some more clicks out of the scope. hopefully I can get to 1500 yards then.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »
Notsams - Wow - that is a long way out there....you certainly are set up with the rifle, but what about the ammo, check out the ammo, may have to go with even a heavier gn pill....I cannot image hunting with that rifle....mirage, wind, spin drift, temperature, humidity, BP, elevation are among the factors you have to considered...I know I am hunting and will not shoot a critter out past 400 yards...even that is a long way to be able to determine if you want to try and take this animal....so I cannot image doing your own long range pursuit show.....I ran into a long range shooter many years ago that shot only 243 Win and he told me that the farther out you shoot, the heavier the bullet has to be...make sense to me then and still does....

If you want to try a 30 or 40 MOA base then you might want to swap out the base but if you do you got to start all over again and work you way out.....if you plan on using this rifle this year's hunting season you may want to go back and put a 40 MOA base on it and then limit yourself to a 500 yard distance to the critters. Then after the season start working on a 1500 yard load, which will be different from the 500 yard load....

The reason why I limit myself to 400 yards is because I know I can a clean ethical shot on a deer....Dutch once told me he hit a running coyote at 1200 yards and had 5 witness...now that is shooting....but there are few Dutch's and PA's in this world.....just my opinion....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
Bo  this rifle will see a little hunting this winter for coyotes and that is it. I am not going to shoot at big game animals at extreme long range, but if a coyote sits out in the middle of a section and gives me the time to get ready then I will shoot long range at a Coyote.    I am just trying to get to 1500 yards with this rifle for my own satisfaction. I hope that with the 20 MOA base that I can get enough extra clicks to get to 1500 yards. I eventually want to shoot out to 1 mile but will probably need a different setup for that.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »
You've come a long way in a short time already with great results - hang in there, you'll get it.  Keep us updated when you try out that new mount!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
  Mad,   thanks it has been fun and I'm only getting started to enjoy the 6mm Creedmoor. I haven't had much time to shoot lately but hope to install the base and shoot a little this weekend hopefully.     

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:15 PM »
Notsams - You and Dutch are our long range guys....that is amazing that you shoot yotes that far...wow....there has been a lot of talk about the 6mm CM....all positive....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
BO  the farthest I have ever shot a Coyote is 576 yards but I will shoot further if given a chance.   I put on the 20 MOA base. My rifle is sighted in 1 inch high at 100 yards and after the new base install it was 14 inches low and 4 inches left. 52 clicks and the rifle was 1 inch high again.   Shooting at 600 yards, 2 shots hit  7 inches high.  At 800 yards, 2 shots hit center. At 1000 yards, 1 shot hit 12 inches low. It is painfully obvious that I need to gather new data but the weather has been terrible here lately so I need to wait for better conditions before I try shooting to 1400 or 1500 yards.     I'm leaving for a mule deer hunt in about 3 weeks so I need to dust off the 7mm mag and practice with it some too. I have a custom dial on it but I would like to gather some wind drift data if the conditions are right. I also want to practice shooting from shooting sticks before the hunt.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2017, 06:26:39 AM »
In my opinion, any shots taken beyond 600 yards needs to be off rest.

My longest off hand moving target shot was 676 on an antelope. My longest off rest shot was 1135 on a running coyote. Both of which I attribute more to luck than skill.

Also in my opinion the 6.5 bullets are going to run out of steam between 1700 -2100 yards to have any knock-down power on medium to heavy skinned animals.

Your shot at 100 hitting 12" low leads me to believe that a shot at 1500 will hit 32" or so low.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
Thanks Dutch, that is good info to use...on my 6.5 CM have it sighted in at 1.5 to 2 inches high at 200 yards...so I think I will be good to about 600 yards. Still that is a long way for the South even with our land timbered/cleared.....deer are traveling at a fast pace when they are in the open down here....

Going to take the 26 Nosler to the range for the first time this afternoon...going to get it on paper at 50 then 100 and hopefully 200 yards today, with barrel break-in procedure in place, might be at the range a long time today.....will post the results.....

Thanks Notsams for the info, I don't think we have the observation distance that you guys do.....576 yards - now that is a long ways out there!! Shooting at 600 yards off the bench and using rest is a chip shot for you and Dutch, but for us guys in the South, that is unheard of unless you have a stand on a power line of gas line...I remember way back in the early 80's I saw 17 deer on opening morning on a stand I have on a power line and the deer were probably 400 to 600 yards away, trotting across the power line, no time to put the cheapie binoculars I had back then on them...LOL...

Please you and Dutch keep us posted on those long shots you guys pull off!!! it is amazing to hear about them....I could only imagine...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
BO I am not in the same league as Dutch, not even close.  My 6mm creemoor is not a long range hunting tool other then for varmints. it is mainly a gun to use to hone and learn my shooting skills. I do not go out looking for long range shots at big game.       The weather was very gusty and rainy here so didn't shoot the 6mm creedmoor this weekend but did shoot the 7mm 4 times.  2 shots at 600 yards and 2 shots at 800 yards. all shots hit steel but were mixed in with other bullet strikes so group sizes were difficult to figure.   I repainted the target for next time.    I have to shoot out of the back of my wheeler again because of the tall grass in the crp field, so I will sit in the back of the ranger and shoot on shooting sticks out to 600 yards just to see how I do.   If the wind cooperates I will use my bench to gather wind drift data too.           The Leupold Custom Dial System (CDS) is as slick as it gets for a hunter. I haven't shot the 7mm since last fall and all I had to do was dial it to the proper yardage and squeeze the trigger.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2017, 09:52:28 PM »
Notsams - I agree with your assessment.....Remember that any CDS type system is based on one bullet and hopefully you go it dialed in to under 1 moa before ordering your custom CDS system from Leupold....I know they work very well.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
    Bo  I Really like the CDS setup on my rifles, it is easier then just counting clicks.     I have a piece of paper with my turret info slid into the barrel channel of my 6mm Creedmoor so if I have the rifle the data is with it.  It is really confusing trying to count out the clicks, especially when going 4 full turns or counting out 232 clicks.         I did get new data figured out for 1000 yards to 1500 yards with the 6mm Creedmoor. Even after putting a 20 moa base on I still can only get to 1500 yards. ( I only have 15 more clicks when sighted in for 1500 yards)   I didn't shoot groups, just enough shots to get centered hits or very close. A pattern starts to show up.    I was shooting into the wind and it was picking up rapidly but my bullets kept going to the right so every 200 yards I had to go 2 clicks left or the bullets would of missed the target.   I still can't get over how good this rifle shoots. At 1300, 1400 and 1500 yards the first rounds shot hit within 6 inches of the bullseye.      I'm looking into a level for the rifle that attaches to the picitiny rail. 

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
     I put a different scope on the 6mm Creedmoor but still can't dial up to 1760 yards. I have a 20 moa base on it now and was going to put on a 40 moa base but they are $120 and I don't want to spend that on a base I may not want in the future so I decided to "shim" the base. I cut apart an old "feeler" gauge and put a total of .040 inch under the base and carefully snugged it back down. The next chance I get I will shoot it to see how much difference it made at 100 yards and then maybe work my way out till I run out of scope clicks again.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
Not, how does that .040" of shim height compare to the height differential on the 20 MOA base by itself?  I haven't attempted to do the math, but .040" in addition to the 20 MOA seems like it ought to eliminate a lot of clicks at long range.

One thing to watch out for - I would assume with that "tilt" you're going to have some bending stress in the mount bolts and also having the heads sitting a bit tipped in the counterbore of the mount, so that might make things creep around a bit with repeated recoil cycles.  It will at least tell you if the higher MOA mount is taking you to the range you need, but might give you fits in terms of holding zero shot after shot.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Mad Yea I hope to find out this weekend how much difference it will make at 100 yards. I think the wind is going to blow so might not get to shoot long range.          As for the "tilt, I am concerned too.  I was very careful when I tightened the screws and I placed the shim in between the back 2 screws and they snugged down nicely. The farthest front screw snugged down good but I was afraid the 2nd screw from the front would bend the base because of the gap under it. I slipped a  shim under the 2nd screw so I wouldn't bend the base. I did not torque down the screws as much as I would have but I think it should work. I have not done this before so it is all a test. I Don't know if it will work out but it's fun trying.

New Page 3

Google Ad