New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5641 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: rifle project
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
Bo  I did call the gunsmith today and the rifle is done except he has to get the barrel engraved before I can pick it up. He will contact the engraver this week.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:00 AM »
Notsams - OK was wondering about the progress of your build.....thanks...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Bo    Thanks for your interest and input. my trigger finger is starting to twitch.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
   Well I picked up the 6mm Creedmoor today and I'm impressed. The gunsmith made the action really smooth compared to when I dropped it off. He lapped the locking lugs and made sure the action was squared on the front. he also added a new and thicker recoil lug and machined the aluminum bedding block so it fit. Tomarrow I will get the scope mounted and boresight the scope. I hope to shoot steel on Thursday evening.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
very nice. send a pic of the final product
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
Not - Soon, very soon you will be headed to the range with the newbie...cannot wait to see how it groups and what it likes....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
   The gunsmith told me an interesting story when I picked up my rifle. He had a guy drop off a target rifle in .243 win and wanted to see if he could make it shoot better. The guy dropped off a box with bullets, powders and primers. To make a long story short he did some research and experimenting and ended up shooting 5 shots into 3 inches at 600 yards using 105 gr Amax bullet. Heres the kicker, he used H1000 powder.  Yep h1000.  I thought that was unusual.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
Notsams - You are not going to believe this but many years ago I picked up a 243 Ruger International with a 18.5" barrel, cutest rifle and was loading up the normal book load for it. When I was working in KY for almost 5 years, was member of the famous Knob Creek for 4 years and would occasionally stop at Ft Knox and shot....Would pick out four rifles to take up to KY each week. Would drive back down each Thursday would arrive late in the evening, unload the rifles and load up four more, did this for almost 4 years as well...

Had the Ruger up there that week and I had been trying to find a load for it for years and years...it would make a perfect Youth/Female rifle because of the LOP is has, very short...but this guy (a Robert Redford look alike) saw me shooting and like any shooter you meander over to check out his/her rifles, so I was telling him that I really do like the rifle but cannot get it to shoot good groups. He said that he had some magic bullets that he had worked up the a great load with so he went back down and brought me back three rounds...

I shot these three rounds at 100 yards and holy cow all three touched! Wow, but he would tell me the load until after I shot the three rounds using a 100 gn Sierra GK....He smile when he told me that he was using 42.0 gns of IMR4831...I said what, that is a slow burning powder and the reloading books don't recommend that powder at all...but you cannot argue with results....have been using that load on two of my four 243's the ones that like the 100 to 105 gn pills.

Another story is about another Ruger M77 in 270 Winchester that was my second 270 rifle that I purchased in the early 80's...had it up in KY at Knob Creek one week and was getting 1.5 to 2" groups at 100 yards...was using 130 GN Nosler BT with 52.5 Gns of IMR4350...I mean it would nail a deer at 100 yards in the woods but it was not shooting the way I wanted it to shoot, 1/2" to 1" is acceptable to me at that distance....again we all were comparing rifles and mentioning to him that I was getting about 2"groups from this rifle and have tired so many different loads using IMR4350 that I was totally frustrated. He suggested using H4350 same load but just switch powders...humm...so came home (to TN) and loaded up about 10 rounds of 130 Gn BT using the H4350 and took it back the following week and shot a 1/2" group with it..over and over again...

The moral of both stories is that you never know what will work with your rifle!         

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
I still consider myself a reloading newbie but fully agree with that.  I've been blown away with the significant differences powders are yielding between three different .223's I've been playing with in the last couple of years.  Have all three shooting great now, but with three different powders.  Will keep tinkering to see if I can find a common load for 2 of the 3, but pretty convinced I'll never get down to one load for all three at this point.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
     Well I shot the 6mm creedmoor this weekend and it is looking pretty good. I cleaned the barrel after every 2 shots for the first 10 shots. I have 16 rounds threw the rifle and the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th were at 800 yards. The last 5 shots were at 900 yards. 4 shots printed a 7 inch group but 1 shot was 10 inches above the group. I have my shooting bench in the back of my Polaris ranger so I can move around and still see above the brush in the CRP field where I shoot and it is impossible to get rock steady. I am shooting the 108 gr Hornady ELD match bullet and I'm surprised how hard it hits at 900 yards. It dents my steel target so I think the bullets are really hard. The recoil is almost nothing and the muzzle blast is not bad either.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:11 AM »
Notsams - thanks for the update...for me and this is just me, I feel like a 100 gn pill is the minimum size pill that I would use on a deer...A few years ago a 10 year old with a Handy Rifle in a 243 nail a 10 pointer using a 100 gn pill...but that is a good group 7" at 900 yards very good.

That is a cool idea of the shooting bench on the back of your Polaris, how bout posting some pictures of your shooting bench so Metalman can make one of his own and show the rest of us at the BCSC hunting club....

So your 6mm CM has a brake on it?? Why?? the 6mm CM doesn't have much of a recoil anyway, just wondering...

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »
    Bo  nope there is no muzzle break on the rifle it is not needed. I actually forgot to put my ear plugs in and fired 2 rounds before I noticed.   A friend of mine has a Lead sled I am going to borrow to see if I can get steadier with it. I just want to see what the rifle is capable of with my human error out of the equation. I like having to shoot without a perfect rest because it is more realistic to hunting conditions I think, but I need to get steadier if I'm going to shoot out to 1200 yards. I have a work weekend planned but will sneak in a few shots on sunday if I can find somewhere to stretch it out further.    I will try to post a picture but haven't been able to in the past.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
UNBELIEVABLE     I shot the 6mm creedmoor on Thursday evening after work. I shot at 1000,1100,and 1200 yards. I adjusted the scope 14 clicks and hit low at 1000 so adjusted 4 more clicks and shot 2 shots 5 inches apart. I adjusted 18 clicks and shot 2 shots at 1100 yards about 7 inches apart. At 1200 yards I adjusted 20 clicks and put 3 in the center of my steel target that averaged out at 6 inches. I called the gunsmith and told him he did a great job on the rifle as I stood by the target. Friday morning it was foggy at 7am so I waited till 8 and tried 1300 yards but didn't hit in for shots. I moved up to 1200 yards and with the same scope setting as the evening before I hit 25 inches low and 6 inches to the right. I wonder if it was the humidity that caused it to shoot low and right or if it was something I did.  This morning I set up a taller target to help me figure out how many clicks to adjust and moved to 1320 yards or 3/4 of a mile. After about 5 shots I figured it out and shot a 3 shot group that averages out under 6 inches. From 1200 yards to 1320 yards I had to adjust my scope over 30 clicks to hit center. My rifle is zeroed at 300 yards and to hit at 1320 yards I have to adjust it up 168 clicks. That is almost 3 complete spins of the turret. I am going to call Leupold to ask how many spins I can go before I wreck something.      The lead sled really helped me get steady and I am shooting in a different spot so I have my shooting bench on the ground not in the back of my wheeler too. 40 rounds fired. Barrel cleaned 8 times. THIS RIFLE REALLY SHOOTS!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
you have a shooter there. 168 clicks? you better bring a pen and paper so you don't miss count. congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
Sounds like you have a great combination of rifle, scope, and ammo (and shooter) there Not - congratulations!  Lots of things come into play at that range, I'm sure you'll continue to tighten those groups even more as you learn all about the variables.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad