New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5211 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: rifle project
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
   BO I went with the standard Rem Varmint contour to make getting stocks simple. I'm looking at a stock on sale at Stockys website. Stockys sells a bunch of different brand stocks and has there own line of stocks for sale too.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
   I finally did some more shooting with the 308. The wind has been blowing everyday for weeks it seems. I was shooting East and there was a NW wind of 15 mph. The wind blew my bullets 24 inches to the right at 600 yards. I was shooting over the hood of my pickup and did manage a couple good groups.  I ordered a laminated stock for the rifle that was on sale. The stock is a vertical grip design with a aluminum bedding block. It weighs 3 pounds so it will add a little weight and be more comfortable on the bench. I think I will wait till I get the 6mm Creedmoor barrel installed before putting the stock on. I don't know if I will upgrade the rings and bases or not, but they seem to be working good. I'm definitely going to keep the Hogue over mold stock I have on the rifle now. It would probably be a better choice for hunting with the 6mm Creedmoor. But in reality I probably wont hunt much with the 6mm Creedmoor other the Coyotes.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
  I shot the 308 again the other day after putting on the Laminated stock and taller rings. The rifle shoots high now. I had to drop down 4 clicks to hit center at 600 yards. I did manage 4 shots into a 5 inch group. I have 17 more shells loaded to shoot and that is it. I hope to get it back on target at 800 yards this weekend before I run out of ammo. When I run out of ammo it will go to the gunsmith for rebarreling. When I get it back from the gunsmith I am going to put a Leupold Vx2, 6-18 power AO scope on it. It is the highest power scope I own. I will also get a custom turret made when I have a load developed. I have enjoyed the 308 win but it is time to move on to the 6mm Creedmoor.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
   I shot the 308 again this morning. I shot at 600, 715 and 800 yards. At 800 yards the wind was blowing my bullets about 22 inches to the right. I took my time and shot 3 shots at 800 yards. 2 shots were almost touching and the 3rd shot was 3.5 inches lower. That is the best group I have shot with this rifle. I think that it was really lucky and I probably could never do it again but I did it once so I am happy. 4 shells left.

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »
nice shooting. 6x18 is a long ranger. what is the minimum you can shoot and still have a good sight picture at 6x?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
Notsams - Good shooting in high wind!! One thing to watch is the wind, just like the golfers a few mph can throw off the shot enough for a miss or a wound, and we certainly don't want that! Is this going to be your hunting rifle and if so, how far of a shot are you going to take with it?? just wondering.......I own 20 308's and my limit on the Coopers with 24" and 26" barrels is 400 yards and the rest with 18", 20" to 22" Barrels will be 200 yards and if conditions are right then 300 yards.....being Mr. Conservative, these are my self imposed limits, always want to dispatch the animal with the first shot....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
yari the scope has an adjustable objective so it can be fine tuned. I would have to guess but probably 50 yards on 6 power.                       

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »
Not - nice shooting sir!  half MOA in the wind is not anything to be ashamed of - hope you can find a calm day soon so you can really evaluate your full potential with that rifle.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »
Bo this rifle is going to be rebarreled to a 6mm creedmoor.  I Am delivering the rifle to the gunsmith tomorrow. He will install a Shilen barrel over the next couple weeks. He is also going to tune the action a little too. The 6mm Creedmoor is going to be a bench gun. I hope to use it as a tool for improving my shooting abilities and stretch my range out to 1000 yards.      I enjoyed playing with the 308 win. I have more respect for the round now then before this project. Even at 800 yards the 308 puts dents in my steel target. My only complaint about it is that the recoil is enough that I can't keep a sight picture to watch the bullet hit at any distance under 800 yards. At 800 yards I have time to get back on target and see the bullet hit. A muzzle break would easily fix the recoil issue.         I got a better deal on loaded ammo then buying just brass so I have 100 rounds of Hornady Match Ammo ordered. I will shoot this and then use the brass to reload. The Hornady ammo is loaded with the 108 grain ELD match bullet which is my bullet of choice for the 6mm Creedmoor so I hope it works out.             I think I'll play with my old 243 ruger until I get my rifle back from the gunsmith.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 05:26:26 PM »
I dropped off the rifle last week at the gunsmith. When he ordered the barrel from Shilen they recommended the 1 in 7 inch twist for the 108 gr bullets so that is what we are installing on the Rem action.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
Not - Wow a 6mm CM...good choice and flat shooting....Yes, Shilen is a good quality barrel that has been around for over 50 years now. I have an original Shilen DGA original, ordered in May 1981 and Delivered to the customer in Dallas in Sept 81....I got it back in the 2005 from a Preacher Man who lived in Shreveport, LA...he has bought it from an estate sale about in 2000. I am the third owner of this rifle and the Preacher Man sent me 7 hand-loads that he used, all with great success. I only use 5 loads, all of them shoot dime groups...

How much is this "bench gun"going to weigh?? and what kind of trigger are you going with?? I would put a Jewell in it at 2 to 4 ounce pull on it...what contour of Shilen barrel are you getting?? and how long is the barrel...sounds like a #5 barrel and about 28" long with a 1 in 7 twist in it....since you are going to build one, you might think about finding someone in your home town that will hand load your bullets for you?? I know there are a few of them in my town, but since I load my own there is no need.....No need to lap the barrel when you get it, it should be lapped and ready to go....if you decide to buy ammo from it be sure to check out the lot numbers on the inside of the box flap....this may require you to visit you local store and asked them to see all the 6mm CM Ammo they have in stock and pick out the same lot numbers for at least 500 rounds....

I would say that a muzzle brake will fix your recoil problem sort of....Save your brass. Hornady makes some pretty good ammo with the ELD match ammo...

You have done it right...I plan on using my Savage 10BA 6.5 CM for hunting purposes. Will start with a 140 gn Berger and Nosler pills but will drop down to 129 gn if I have too.....Should be a good year for both of us.....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
BO      I guess it may be better to call this an "economy" bench gun. I have not got it back from the gun smith but with the aftermarket stock it is over 10 pounds. Dropping down from 30 caliber to 24 caliber with the same barrel contour will add a little weight. The barrel should finish out about 26 inches when he is done. To go longer would of cost more and I didn't think a few more inches would of really did anything for me. As for the trigger. I have the original 700 trigger adjusted down to 2.6 lbs. It is the Pro X trigger and is easy to adjust using only 1 screw. It's fine for now but may be upgraded later. This rifle will see a little use as a Coyote gun this winter, but won't get far from the pickup because of the weight.      I do reload but brass is still limited now because only Hornady is making it, and they are the only one offering it as loaded ammo right now as far as I can tell. I bought 5 boxes of match ammo with the same lot numbers. I ordered them from Ammo Seekers .com. If I would of ordered the components to reload I would of saved $4. Counting these 5 boxes of ammo, I have only bought 8 boxes of factory rifle ammo in my lifetime. I sure hope these shoot great out of my rifle, this is the bullet I want to use.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »
Not - How is the rifle project going?? I generally don't shoot any factory ammo in the rifles unless it just for getting it on paper at 100 yards, maybe 6 to 8 shots and then will switch over to hand loads after two or three trips to the range...

Any news or pictures you can post??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:03:14 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
BO I have not called the gunsmith yet because he said it should be ready by Wednesday of this week so I will call him in a couple days. I hope it is ready soon. I've been shooting my 243 a little but can't wait to try out the 6mm Creedmoor. I'm hoping to get out to 1000 yards with this rifle and make 1st round hits at that distance on my 24 inch steel target.  I've already started thinking of my next project. A 6.5x284 but going to wait and see how this project turns out first.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
Good idea to see how this one will turn out first! I love the two 243's that shoot the 100 gn pill. Both are tack driver, meaning also the same hole at 100 yds. Surprising me the most is a Ruger International M77, RSI model with its 18.5 inch barrel...would love to get a 6mm Rem Varmint Model 700 or old Ruger #1. That would be nice, since the 6mm is base off of the 7x57 case....

I have been talking to my local gun shop and they are willing to build a custom 26 Nosler for ????, we have not started talking about price yet....they are the same folks that are going to build a 22 Nosler Upper Assembly including the bolt carrier....Not sure if I want a custom 26 Nosler or another Cooper in 26 Nosler or a Nosler Heritage in 26 Nosler....

Thanks for the update....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad