New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5209 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: rifle project
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
    I finally picked up the .308 again. I picked up a used stock at a gun show that has aluminum pillars for $50. Then a drop floor plate for $60 from a gunsmith. Now the rifle is a BDL not a ADL. The stock is a Hogue with a soft rubber texture but it does have a "semi" vertical grip and is way more rigid then the original stock. I had some rings and bases on hand so I mounted them. This weekend I am going to mount and level the scope and begin the break in process. I will sight it in 2 inches high at 100 yards and if I get good groups I will work my way out to 500 yards by turning "up" the turret. This is a budget build. As of now I have $460 into the improved rifle. I want to see what long range accuracy I can get for $460.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 07:02:49 AM »
Not congrats on the find and the amount of money you have in it....Wow good deal!!! Now you are going to have to find what pill or bullet it likes...I know my 308's vary from rifle to rifle....in my 308 Rem Varmint, it has 10 twist in the barrel, actually 10.125" by my "super scientific" measurements. I shoot the 168 gn Burgers in it and get great groups out of it...I would like to try some 175 in it.....attached is the last year target I shot at the range...it was only at 100 yards, but with that dime size group and some tweaking of the load it should be just fine.......

Please post some before and after pictures of your project....it will be interesting to see what it likes..... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
Notsams, I have a 700 that I changed the blind magazine to a drop floor plate, I call it my ADL+1/2.  The drop plate I used came off a 700 chambered for 7mm Mag. 

BTW, our local Walmart has a couple of Savage Axis rifles for $269 plus tax.  I would love to pick up the one chambered for .223, but highly doubt I could get this past my CFO.  lol.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 06:15:27 AM »
Not - Be sure to post some pictures so we can follow the progress of your build....I too have been looking into a good bolt action 223...Gutshot's Remington 700 SPS he had at last years Summerblast was amazing accurate...

I purchased a demo McWhorter rifle (that what they told me) from Tim down in Doerun, GA (talk about middle of no where, I mean dirt road trip!!) and it had a 26" Kreiger Barrel with a McWhorter Custom Break, Stiller Action, Jewel Trigger, HS Precision Stock in 270WSM...about half price of what a new one would cost. At that time, I was thinking about a custom build myself with either a Shilen or Kreiger barrel, Stiller or Surgeon Action, Jewell trigger, McMillan stock when I found this one...so I was lucky to find it at a decent price...They McWhorter furnished me with two boxes of custom ammo for it and believe me it wasn't custom ammo. They went to the Nosler Book and loaded up the most accurate round for some 140 gn Accubonds....I shot them up and saved the brass...it was not the right load for this rifle. I did some experimenting around with powder and loads and seating depths and finally found the right load for this rifle, but it has taken me almost 7 years to find the right load and wanting to shoot this rifle. The moral of this story is not to be in any hurry to build a custom rifle and to do your research into your project which Louie has done, and then look around for a good used rifle with the components close to what you want....

I also have a custom Cooper that it took 9 months to get here! and cost over $4500...this one shoots great!!! of course it is in a 308...Shot it one time last year at the Summerblast 2016 at 325 yards and hit the 12" plate....but it was to my specs...short and sweet!!! amazing groups at 200 yards...

Louie - I have many Remington's 700 that I thought about doing what you are doing. On my 308 700 Varmint did put a drop box magazine in it about 10 years ago and a McMillan Stock on it about 20 years ago, did the same for the 7mm-08 both has the same stock, scope and DBM....Did the same for the five original blue Senderos back in the 90's.....They are so many things you can do with a Remington 700 just like the little Ruger 10/22...so many things you can do to trick it out...have fun but please post some pictures for us to see...thanks...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:18:23 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
    So I finally got 20 rounds loaded for the 308. I got 30 empty brass and used the in laws dies. I used Benchmark powder, Rem primers, 168 gr BTHPs and some new, but old herters brass. I bore sighted the rifle. So far I have fired 7 shots through the rifle and I cleaned the barrel between every shot. 1st shot hit 5 inches low and .75 inch right at 100 yards. Keeping the rifle steady, I adjusted the scope about 5 inches below point of impact. 2nd shot hit 1inch left and 5 inches low at 350 yards. I adjusted the scope 10 clicks up. 3rd shot hit 11 inches low at 450 yards. I adjusted the scope up 12 clicks. 4th shot hit 17 inches low at 504 yards.  Later in the day when the wind died off I shot a 3 shot group at 500 yards that measured 9 inches. The barrel is cleaning up better now so next weekend I will shoot a fouling shot and then a 3 shot group at 500 yards. I'm going to order a set of dies so I can play with the seating depth, and try a little more powder next time I reload shells.      I hope to get the rifle to shoot better, hopefully under 1 moa out to 600 or 700 yards.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
   On Saturday I adjusted the scope up 22 more clicks and shot a 3 shot group at 600 yards. It measured just under 5 inches. Today I adjusted the scope up 25 clicks and shot at 715 yards. Bullets landed 8 inches apart but I think I can do better. I will try again next weekend. I'm going to pull the action from the stock and adjust the trigger down a little more and lube it on the 4 points the owners manual recommends. Next weekend I'm going to try 800 yards. I don't have a clue how many clicks to go up or if the scope has enough clicks to get it to 800 yards.    The barrel is cleaning up really nice now and the action is smoothing out a little, but it has a long way to go.  The more I shoot the rifle the less I like the stock but it is a lot better then the original. The recoil pad is so soft that the rifle jumps to the right every shot. I have 27 rounds through it now.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
Sounds pretty impressive for only 27 rounds through it and no optimization of your load yet - with a bit of experimentation there I would bet you could cut those groups down considerably, and you're already in the 1 MOA ballpark.  Interested in hearing how this progresses, keep the updates coming.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
 Mad       I think I might of got lucky on the load I'm using. I bought some Benchmark powder for a .204 Ruger project awhile ago and it didn't work out in the .204. I noticed that Benchmark was a popular powder for the .308 so I tried it. I figured it would be a way to use up the Benchmark powder if nothing else. It seems to be working in my rifle. I am using a Rem 9 1/2 magnum primer too.  I normally try to have the bullet very close to the lands but in this rifle they wont fit in the magazine that long.    I am going to work on my form and try to get my self steadier because my goal is, 3 shots in a 8 inch group at 800 yards.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Not - Sounds about right, one MOA that is really good, to shoot 8 inch at 800 yards...I have never shot my 308's past 250 yards and last year's Summerblast shot my Custom Cooper at 325 yards...hit the 12 inch plate the first and only time....I have settle in using Viht 140 or 540 powder, 155 Gn Berger Bullets, Lapua Brass, CCI-BR2 primers...but barrels have 12 twist in them....

I agree with Mad that it is very impressive just after 27 shots.....you are doing it right. I think after 300 yards I would go to a larger Caliber like a 270 or 270 WSM or larger. I have an 7mm Rem Mag that loves 140 gns pills!!! I know it is a screamer, plan on putting it though the Labradar and the Magneto Speed 2.0 Chronographs this spring but the knee got in the way, maybe in late July or August I can make it happen.

I own 19 - 308's barrel lengths from 19" to 26" and most are 10 and 12 twist....all of the shoot very, very well.....good enough to take a deer at 300 yards, no problem! But after 300 yards, have a bunch of 270's, 280's and 30-06's to use and after 600 yards have 270WSM and larger calibers to take care of business out past 600.....

I would not use Benchmark for anything smaller than 243 that is JMO. As far as the seating goes, I start out at .020 and go from there just depends of how the rife shoots. I will try different powders and amounts of to try and get the group down and when I do find a good potential load, then is when I will start playing with the lands...tell you want .005 makes a big difference!!     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »
Bo, Benchmark is currently my best powder for my Ruger M77 in .223.  it has a slow twist and I'm running 40 grain pills in it.  Had good results with H335, but Benchmark is beating it.  For my AR though, it's 60 gr Sierra hollow points and Varget.  Also tried H335 and CFE223 in the AR, but results were not great, especially with the CFE.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
   I adjusted the turret up to 96 clicks. I set up at 805 yards shooting into a quartering wind of about 10 mph and missed the target. My target is 2 pcs of 1/4 inch steel welded together so its 1/2 inch thick and 24 inches square. Between the target stand and the steel plate I put a big piece of cardboard so if I miss the steel plate I can see where I hit. I had removed the stock to adjust the trigger and tightened screws back to 60 in lbs. I had also cleaned the barrel and this was my fouling shot. My second shot hit the plate but I was shooting into the sun and couldn't see where I hit so I drove the Ranger down to take a look. My second shot I held 12 inches left of the bullseye because of wind drift and hit the plate 18 inches to the right of my point of aim. My first shot was 7 inches to the right of the plate on the cardboard. I was shooting a little high so I adjusted the scope down 1 click and fired 3 shots again at 805 yards. I held about 20 inches left of the bullseye. All 3 shots were lined up perfectly vertical. 1 shot was 4 inches left of the bullseye, another was 6 inches below the first and the other shot was 11 inches above the first. I was disappointed in my group but I now know that 95 clicks will put me on the plate at 800 yards. The wind got worse so I waited for a day with less wind but it kept blowing for the next 2 days so I didn't shoot anymore. The next 5 weekends I will be fishing Walleyes in Canada so I don't know when I will be able to shot again. 32 rounds down the barrel.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08:02 PM »
I haven't got to shoot anymore but I did talk to a gunsmith about rebarreling the 308. Tomarrow I am going to confirm the build sheet with the gunsmith and give him a deposit to get the barrel ordered. I am going with a Shilen barrel either 26 or 27 inches. The twist will be either 1 in 7.75 inches or 1 in 8 inches. The barrel contour will be the same as a Rem varmint rifle is so stocks are easy to get. Cartridge is a 6mm Creedmore. Using a 105 to 110 grain VLD bullet the creedmore can still be magazine fed. This will be a 1000 yard gun. The barrel won't be ready to install until late July so I can keep shooting the 308 until then.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Notsams - You will be pleased with the Shilen and the round...very good, round you have picked, love the 6mm round...

Thanks for the update...please keep us in the loop....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »
The gunsmith ordered a Shilen barrel and will be finished to 26 inches. 1 in 7.75" twist, stainless steel. 6mm Creedmoor cartridge. The gunsmith will square the front of the action, lap the lugs, chase the threads and make sure the bottom of the action is perfectly round. The cartridge and twist rate will be engraved into the barrel also. I went with a standard barrel contour so a better stock will be easy to get when and if I decide to upgrade. The stock I have will be good for some Coyote hunts but if I want to get serious about little groups at long range a new stock is in order and probably a different scope.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:59 AM »
Yari - The only thing left is the make sure your gunsmith uses the same lathe to square up the new Shilen barrel when it comes in...true the action and bolt face, lapped the locking lugs. Yes sounds like he has done this before...LOL...

What contour on the barrel did you go with?? the Standard Barrel Contour is a number 2 or 3 contour?? My standard is a number 4 barrel as a minimum. I had a Custom Cooper built a few years ago and it has a #6 barrel on it, short but heavy....

Cannot wait to see some pictures of your new rifle.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad