New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: rifle project  (Read 5853 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
rifle project
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
       Cabelas has the Rem 700 Varmint rifles on sale. All black ADL style with 26 inch heavy barrel. .223, 22-250 and 308 win. Cabelas sale is $100 off and a $50 Rem mail in rebate means $350 for a new Rem 700. I'm thinking a 308 Win and some Berger VLDS. If the rifle shoots under an inch I will have a custom turret made for it and try it out at 1000 yards. All I'm going to do for now is put a good stiff vertical grip stock on it and break in the barrel properly. My brother is going to give me 20 rounds of brass and borrow me a set of dies for it because if it doesn't shoot good I will have it rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmore. I'm going to buy the rifle and then slowly work on the project. I do have a 4.5-14x40 scope to put on it so It won't take long to find out if it shoots. I hope to find a good stock for under $350. The sale starts on the 8th and then the project begins.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: rifle project
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:54 AM »
Not - Congrats on the rifle "project"....go ahead and take the plunge! At that price, $350 that IS a good price!!! What a 308? Humm, I don't know anyone here that has one of those!! Just kidding, I bought my first 700 BDL in Varmint configuration. I bought in in the summer of 1980. At that time, it was rare that you found a 26" barrel on anything except custom built rifles. My barrel is a 24". Since I have purchase the rifle, it has gone through a lot of changes, just like what you have planned....

First things is to put a trigger in it, My has a Shilen Trigger in it set at 2.75 lbs. Then fine a good stock to put on it. Then put good optics on it. Are you planning on making this a bench rifle or a hunting rifle? long range? A 1000 yard rifle? You will need a good custom barrel to get out to a 1000 yards and still hold good groups. The factory barrel will be good out to 500 to 600 yards for some decent groups. But beyond that, then you will need a custom barrel.

If you choose 308, the Remington barrel will have 10" twist in it (you might want to measure it to be sure). For a 26" barrel, I would stick to 168 to 175 grain Berger VLDs, I would try Varget, 4064, 4166, RL15, AA2015 and Viht 140 and/or 540 powder. I have and it just depend of what the rifle likes. I use Lapua Brass for all of my 308's and CCI-BR2 primers. Start out by seating them about .020" off the lans and go from there. Some rifle will like it closer to the lans and some farther...every rifle has its own personality and it is your job to find out what it likes, not what you like to shoot in it!! Your brass, you need to start out buy using good brass, like Lapua, Norma, Nosler. Don't use unknown brass that you don't know how many times it has been shot?? You want to give the rifle a chance that it can shoot good! Barrel break-in, with a brand new barrel, I would suggest that you do 40 rounds before trying to group. Be sure to order you tons of new patches and another bottle of solvent. Get out to the range early one morning and staying late and do this one time. This is how I normally do this. With a use rifle, but new to me, I normally do 20 to 25 rounds, cleaning after each shot.

If you choose another caliber, I can help you too, just let us know. The only criticism I have is that you should have been doing this in March not now, but Remington and Gander Mountain, has made it appealing to buy it now. Don't be in any hurry to get this one out on the range. Just do it right....

Remember you build a rifle around one bullet, not the other way around. If you want to build a 1000 yard rifle, that would be nice, but it would not be a hunting rifle, but a bench rifle. Your optics a 4.5x 14 isn't enough for a 1000 yard rifle, 500 to 600 yards is more like it. I have shot 600 yards several times this year and might do it again before hunting season starts. Make sure you Picatinny Rail has at least 20 MOA built in for the drop of either the 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor...You will find after it is all said and done, that you will spend over a grand or more on this rifle getting it set up the way you want too.

Just trying to help out here...I have been there and done that a number of times.....Bo 

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
  Thanks for the info Bo. The rifle is going to be a bench gun. If I could buy it in a 6.5 creedmore for $350 I would but thought I would experiment with a 308 then probably rebarrel it to 6.5 Creedmore. I will probably only be using the action on this rifle.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:58 AM »
Not - Sounds like a winter type project. Thanks for the input, knew it had to be something other than a hunting rifle.....LOL...keep us posted on your build and all the steps you are going through...would like to know how you are coming along with it.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
Good price and great project let us know how it goes.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
  So on the 8th at 9am I called Cabelas and bought the rifle. On the 10th I drove the 100 miles to pick up the rifle but after filling out the background check I was DELAYED. Not denied but DELAYED. So after spending 3 hours shopping at other stores I returned to Cabelas and was told to call back in 5 days to see If I have been approved to pick up the gun I have paid for. I asked if there was a phone number I could call to express my displeasure about the situation but they said there was no such number. I almost asked for my money back but I figure that is what the feds would want.   I kept my opinions to my self and drove the 100 miles home without the rifle.  Thursday I will call to see if I can pick up the rifle I already paid for.   Oh by the way I have a permit to carry and have never even had as much as a speeding tickit.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that - sadly I've actually expected stuff like this to start happening long ago - the bureaucrats have so many ways to make life difficult for us it's ridiculous.  Hang in there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:23:25 PM »
i have bought 5 this year 2 at gander mountain and 3 at walmart

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »
Not was it Gander Mtn or the BATF that caused you the delay?? I know Gander is hurting for Business and was wonder if they use this tactic on a few customers in order for them to stay in the store to buy some merchandise...The management at any Gander Mtn Store will say that is the Government and nothing they can do about it, shrug their shoulders and go on. Believe me the store managers are really not into hunting or fishing or camping, they are interested in sales only!!! 

When I bought my Remington LTR way back in the dark ages, I was delayed about 2 hours. It was late when I submitted the paperwork and was wondering if the BATF was low on personnel that processes the paper work or maybe it was during a long dinner break...but I did end up buy a few more things at Knob Creek...LOL... 

Like PA, have bought firearms from them before and had no problem but that was many years ago.....but I have never bought any firearms from Walmart...Hum....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 06:28:35 AM »
shotguns and 22s mainly

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
the delay was from NICS the call center where they called your paperwork in at. happens all the time. I have my permit too, but if I don't use it when I buy a gun, I also get delayed.  The only way your permit helps you is if you purchase the gun in the same state you live in.  It sucks I've been there.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »
I was at  Cabelas and told them I have a permit and I was in the same state as my permit was issued. The salesmen and his supervisor apologized but said there was nothing they could do.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »
Haven't bought any guns from Wally World, but none of those stores around here carry guns any more (probably haven't for 10 years or so).  Have bought a couple from Gander when they have big sales, no issues, but haven't done it recently.  I'm sure O'Dumbo and his band of merry men are encouraging the BATF to drag their feet on processing background checks.  Haven't tried buying any from Cabelas, but bro in law does regularly & hasn't mentioned problems there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
I was at  Cabelas and told them I have a permit and I was in the same state as my permit was issued. The salesmen and his supervisor apologized but said there was nothing they could do.

maybe your state is different there here, or cabelas doesn't understand the 4473 form, but there is a section on there for background check identification, its required when you purchase a handgun. I think I would have asked to transfer the gun to my local FFL dealer, paid the transfer fee, that way I wouldn't have to drive the 100 miles back when it comes through.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
   I got the rifle. The Cabelas employee told me about 40% of gun background checks are Delayed lately. I dismantled the rifle and adjusted the trigger to 2.5 lbs. It is definitely a production rifle. It has a few issues that I can improve but in the end it is probably going to end up as parts anyway. I'm going to put it away for a while because I'm going Elk hunting in 3 weeks. I'm only going to handle my Elk gun now so I am familiar with it. I have been shooting it on and off all summer.

New Page 3

Google Ad