New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 1290 times)

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
Need some help
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
I'm getting ready to go plant....my fields right now are waist deep in grass, which way would you plant?

A.) Use seed drill and the bush hog and use the grass as cover to protect the seed
B.) Bush hog and then wait a week and drill
C.) Bush hog then use tiller to till the fields and then drill
D.) Bush hog then use tiller to till the fields and then drill in about a week

I will be planting oats, wheat, Austrian pea, Tall tine tubers, kale and rape.
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
Heflinsi, without knowing your soil type, moisture, etc it's a bit iffy to give a high confidence recommendation, but off the cuff I'd vote for option C.  My logic:  You didn't indicate you've used or will use any herbicide, and just tilling grass under won't kill it, so I'd seed it while the fresh tilled soil is moist and give the new crop a chance to emerge before the grass re-establishes & crowds out the seed. I think you need to till it after mowing in order to get the seed some good contact with the soil.  I suspect if you drill it without tilling you'll struggle to get the seed into moist soil.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »
c most likely. but what I do I cut the stuff down give it a little time to regrow then use weed killer after two weeks or so till then plant but this does take time most likely 4 weeks or more
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »
Mad I'm on ridge tops and we have had rain pretty consistently over the last three weeks.  My ph from my soil sample was 6.9
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:39:16 AM »
also depends on your time left for growing season...cutting ,tilling and planting can work with brassicas as they grow so fast and competition isn,t as bad...if time isn,t an issue one spraying a week or so after tilling to get rid of new growth would be better...fall growing season is short here so timing of planting,rain and frost can make or break a plot....just seeded mine on the weekend and no rain in sight

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »
E, Spray with round up and drill.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »

That's where I am too. Spray with round up, wait 15 days, and drill. And wait a bit to plant.. maybe first weekend in October for your area...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:51 AM »
Try and get rid of your weeds and grass someway.  Spraying seems to be something lots of farmers are doing, saves on diesel as it eliminates some of the traditional soil preparation.  On the other hand, burying grass and weeds with a turning plow just helps the soil by adding what they used to call "green manure". Competition from undesirable vegetation will certainly not do your planted seeds any good.  Don't know when your season starts but you probably have time to establish a good food plot as the oats and wheat will be up and going in about six weeks.  I'm assuming your planting as a mix, either way the cereal grains will likely be available 1st and  the other seeds take longer to become a food source planted as a mix or in different plots.  PH is great in my opinion and with sufficient water and sun you ought to be in business!
Treefarmer

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »

That's where I am too. Spray with round up, wait 15 days, and drill. And wait a bit to plant.. maybe first weekend in October for your area...
Technically you only need to wait a day for the round up to get sucked into the plant and then you can drill your seed.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
i would say 'c' if you aren't using roundup. remember to fertilize before tilling

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
Ok gang, I went out and my wife bush hogged my fields while I worked on my shooting houses.  Then I sprayed roundup on both fields, waited a week and then tilled it up and sprayed any thing that looked green.   Waited a day and then used my seed drill to plant.   I went out today and my winter peas are about 2" tall.  Some of my other plants are about an 1" high.... I have put up a plot protector fence as an experiment to try and help give them a chance....I will post pictures soon

Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
I've never used winter peas. have you had better results than brassicas?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
Yari they usually don't last long enough, so I always overseed with tall tine tubers, rape, kale, and sugar beets.  The deer love the winter (iron clay) peas.  I'm hoping this year that the fence will let them last long enough to get about a foot high.  Usually they will wipe them out at about 6 inches
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 06:13:50 AM »
Sorry I was on vacation when this post originated.  You did exactly what you should have done.  Best of luck, sounds like you already have a good start.

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
Yari they usually don't last long enough, so I always overseed with tall tine tubers, rape, kale, and sugar beets.  The deer love the winter (iron clay) peas.  I'm hoping this year that the fence will let them last long enough to get about a foot high.  Usually they will wipe them out at about 6 inches

I have the same issue w/ soybeans. gone before the season. I tried overseeding when they were being hammered. overseeding brassicas hasn't worked for me.

that said, frost seeding clover went great this year
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad