New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Traditional Archery Distance  (Read 436 times)

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
Traditional Archery Distance
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:25:28 AM »
What is the maximum distance you guys feel comfortable taking a shot at a live animal with you traditional archery equipment be it recurve, longbow or selfbow?

Do you use sights and/or any kind of release?

I am (again!!) getting a little late start picking up my longbow and the arrows are not going where I want them to at 15 yards.  I know it will all come together after a little practice.  My max distance is usually in the 20-25 yard range shooting off the shelf with fingers.

Just curious.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Traditional Archery Distance
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »
Jaeger - There was a guy who I worked with who was so into Traditional, I am surprised that he did not run around in his BVD's!!! He hated compound and Lord knows what he would think of crossbows!!! As you know there are a small number of companies that make custom made re-curve bows. As long as I have known him, he has made his own arrows and is very specific about this broad-heads..they have to be a certain 2 blade design, not three! He shoots fingers and no sights! He has told me that over the years he has killed deer out to 30 yards. The only modern day devices he uses is a range finder. Last year 2015, he went on a Elk Hunt out in Utah with a few other Traditionalist Bow hunters. He told me 20 yards at max for Elk...don't know what poundage he pulls on any technical details about his bow or arrows...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
For me 20-25 yards. Thirty with one particular bow I have. I did not have "sights" on most of tem but i am not instinctive either. Depending on the bow I either gap shoot or stringwalk.  The bow I stringwalk with is the one I am more accurate with at longer distences.

I did put sights on one of my recurves but did not use it much.

I have not shot my traditional bows in a couple years. I hope to again if I can get past the pain in my shoulder.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
Years ago when I used to shoot a lot (particularly bowfishing) 20-25 yards was pretty solid for me too.  Sad to say I haven't picked up that bow in years - really need to get back at that.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad