New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which Bow  (Read 1567 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Which Bow
« on: July 22, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
What bow do you shoot? And what made you decide to pick that one with all the options out there these days?

I shoot a Mathews ZXT. I started with Mathews and swapped to a Bear for one season and then decided Mathews was a little more comfortable to me so I swapped back.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Re: Which Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »
BowTech Allegiance!
In 2007 it was one of the fastest bows on the market at 330 fps.  It had parallel limbs making it a smooth shock free, flat shooting speed demon bow.  I know today there are a lot faster bows but its really hard to fork out "$2,000.00"  for a new fully accessorized bow  --7-8-9 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
I was shooting a New Breed and my wife was shooting a Diamond razor edge. She only wanted to target shoot so I bought the edge for her to use to see if she would stick with it. She did and decided she wanted a new bow. We were at the Buckmasters show so I told her to walk around and find a bow she liked. Later on she came back and told me she found what she wanted. She looked at a scrap of paper she had written on and said it was a Mathews Z7 Extreme. My head sank. I was not a big Mathews guy and she had just picked out one of the most expensive bows out there at the time. So, I called my local bow shop and ordered her one.

When it came in, we went to the bow shop to get it setup. While they were working with her, the owner asked me if I had ever shot the Z7 Extreme before. I told him no that I was very satisfied with my New Breed and wasn't looking to change. He asked if I had my bow with me, and I did, so he told me to go get it and shoot it some. I shot 3 or 4 arrows with my New breed and then he handed me the Z7 Extreme to shoot. I let an arrow fly and my head sank (again).

We left the store with 2 new Z7 Extremes that day and I am still shooting it today. She still likes to call me a copy cat about that...

Note: I shot the new Mathews No Cam at the ATA show and while it shoots as well as my Z7, it didn't shoot better..
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Mathews all the way. switched from an onieda years back. in 1/2 hour I was shooting better w/ the Matthews than I ever did w/ the onieda.

I don't know if I could swallow the $1200 price tag for a new one though. mine still shoots great. it's a legend or legacy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »
I shoot a Bowtech but two years ago I changed over to a Stryker crossbow in my old age and have been more than pleased with it.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »
I shoot a crossbow never really shot a bow until Gutshot had me try his.  It didn't go well  but crossbow is working out good

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
I have a Clearwater with Matthews' solo cam on it, bought it 15-20 years ago and very happy with it, although I am intrigued by the no-cam.  Had a high country Sniper before that, continually fought to keep it in tune, don't miss it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
    I shoot a Mathews Switchback 70 lb bow and I like it but the penetration I get with it is less they I hoped for. I have been using the rage 100 grs and they bend and don't penetrate as far as I would like. Of 5 animals shot only had 1 arrow penetrate both sides. I'm going to use the 100 gr Montecs this year.   I have seen some really nice bows all set up in very good condition at the local pawn shops CHEAP. If you look over a bow carefully, a pawn shop is a good place to buy a bow. I saw a Mathews switchback with less wear on the string then my bow has and it had a Quiver,3 arrows, sight and a drop away rest for $350 at a pawn shop last winter.

Online yari

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:47 PM »
    I shoot a Mathews Switchback 70 lb bow and I like it but the penetration I get with it is less they I hoped for. I have been using the rage 100 grs and they bend and don't penetrate as far as I would like. Of 5 animals shot only had 1 arrow penetrate both sides. I'm going to use the 100 gr Montecs this year.   I have seen some really nice bows all set up in very good condition at the local pawn shops CHEAP. If you look over a bow carefully, a pawn shop is a good place to buy a bow. I saw a Mathews switchback with less wear on the string then my bow has and it had a Quiver,3 arrows, sight and a drop away rest for $350 at a pawn shop last winter.

what size arrows are you shooting? I heard the rages don't get great penetration. I shoot a Matthews legend which is 3-4 models before yours @ 70# w/ 28" carbon express 400 and rocket 100gr expandables. ever buck but one it passed through and buried in the ground. the one time it didn't I shattered the front upper leg, through the heart and buried in the opposite rib cage.

good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
Yari I think they are Beaman 340s.   I shot a doe at 20 yards and hit a rib, the rage never even touched the other side of the ribcage. Both blades were bent bad. The arrow only cut 1 lung so it went about 250 yards.   

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »
I shoot rage 2 blade expendables with my 60# draw Mathews and get complete pass throughs almost every single time.. ??
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »
I shoot a Diamond by Bowtech.   

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
I shoot the Mathews No Cam. Went from my Z7 extreme to the No Cam just because the No Cam seemed smother to me.

Online yari

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »
Yari I think they are Beaman 340s.   I shot a doe at 20 yards and hit a rib, the rage never even touched the other side of the ribcage. Both blades were bent bad. The arrow only cut 1 lung so it went about 250 yards.   

something is wrong. that should never happen. is your bow tuned properly? maybe your shafts are too flexible?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
I'm not a fan at all of Rage broadheads. Cost me a really nice deer a few years back in Illinois as I saw the blade open in flight. Very little penetration on a good double lung shot. Arrow went have through and should of been a pass through. I starting using the G5 T3's and have never looked back. Very accurate and shoots just like a field point with excellent penetration.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad