New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Fathers Day on the Lake  (Read 411 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Fathers Day on the Lake
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:27:56 PM »
I booked a striper guide on Lake Texoma hoping to put my dad and son on something that tests the drag.   The guide went right to a point loaded with sand bass and we sat there for 4 hours and caught a handful of small to mid size sand bass.  I kept asking him where the stripers were. He would just say "they're usually mixed in with the sand bass".   We had fun and all but I didn't have in mind spending $500 to catch sand bass. I could go do that myself no problem. They are plentiful on lake Lavon and easy to catch. Around 11:00 am and a little frustrated I finally told him to take us to the dock. He cleaned the fish while we cooled off in the marina cafe and had a really good burger.  We took our fish and went home.  I'm a do it your selfer and have never hired a guide. But I wanted a for sure deal with some stripers.  I'm no striper expert. 

We cooked them up the next day and had a relaxing day by the pool at the in-laws house. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Fathers Day on the Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that he didn't put you on to the striper bite - have always wanted to do that myself but never have.  Sounds like the rest of the Father's day activity was great though - congrats on that.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Fathers Day on the Lake
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
I'm w/ you. I've been w/ 2 fishing guides. the smallie one on a huge lake in MN was worth it. he did well. the other was on the Croix as a guest and the got us fish, but it was on very heavy gear and the fish came in like a planer board. not much sport

I wish it worked out better for you.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad