New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New shootin' house and food plot for Grandsons  (Read 4059 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Re: New shootin' house and food plot for Grandsons
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2016, 08:30:51 PM »
We are going on about 50 days with out measurable rain.  It is as the old timers used to say, "bone dry"!
The Grandsons only have the Thanksgiving week end to hunt, we have a 4 day season before the main season starting out in December. 
Their food plot has maybe a 20% germination of the Rye grain only on shady sides and tree shadows, maybe the rain, when it comes will still find viable seeds @--0--0117.  Deer are feeding on what Rye there is and are coming to the feeder so there is hope for their hunt. 
There are 2 small bucks that are showing up at both food plots and at the feeders.
Here's a picture of the little bucks and the larger food plot where about 1/2 of the field sprouted.
Most all the harvesting of cotton and peanuts around us has been completed, so let it RAIN!!
Treefarmer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2016, 09:13:52 PM »
looks better than it would be here in a drought. I've been there and it hard to see. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 06:40:07 AM »
Looks better than I would have expected in a drought
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »
Here's an update on the food plots and the drought breaking rains. 
Most of the areas that showed no germination now are showing the seed was still viable after being in the ground since mid October.  The wheat in the larger plot was first to respond, then the rye made it's appearance.  The rye grain first comes up with a red tint to the plant then turns green.  The wheat seems to be green from the get-go.  Part of the wheat has even been in standing water for a few days as we received 11.2 inches in less than a week.
There has been very little activity at the grandson's plot, have sat there since regular rifle season started a couple of time seeing only a doe and her two fawns.
The larger plot where we have an elevated "condo" is seeing a lot more activity.  The does and young ones are hitting the wheat, even though they have to wade through the boggy field to pick at it.  Saw several this evening right at dark, two of the bigger does are showing some color on their tarsal glands.  The rut will be staring soon, it peaks the 3rd week of January, according to the Game Commission biologist and is still on through all of February.  Maybe I'll be able to ambush a couple for the freezer.  It's gettin' harder every year to be into it like I was just a few years back.  As I mentioned before, a new knee and hip and still 2 bum shoulders make it difficult for me to get around like I used to do.  I'm sure I'm not the only one being plagued with old age. 
Had an interestin' guest tonight in the condo as y'all can see in the picture.  The same picture certainly would cause me to fail rifle inspection, look at how nasty his perch is.  The other picture shows what happens at the feeder some days.  Some of those fawns are still showin' a few spots.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
funny. it's below zero all week here. 20 degrees below normal and you have a frog on your gun

glad the plots came around. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
I just realized I hadn't reported on the grandson's Thanksgiving week end hunt.
We were had a good time, got to see a big ol' doe the 1st afternoon with the 12 year old.
The 2nd afternoon, the younger grandson said, "Granddaddy, I don't think I want to kill a deer." I asked him what had changed his mind? He said he was listening to a speakerphone conversation between his dad and one another dad, whose son had crippled a deer in Ga. a few weeks earlier.  He said, "I don't want to take that chance."  Made me mighty proud of him!  He was bustin' milk jugs at 100 yards with a .243, he's the rough and tumble one, but greater than that he has a great heart.  I only told his mother what he said, she wasn't surprised.  Right before we started to loose good light, we were rewarded by the appearance of a gray fox.  The fox checked the feeder and then proceeded to walk with in 20 feet of the shooting house he had helped build.
1st picture we're headin' out for the 1st afternoon, note the hunting attire. 2nd picture show the younger one watchin' the fox.
Treefarmer

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
Hmm, we're not manly enough around here to hunt dressed like that these days!   --099-780  Glad you're getting some time with the grandkids to enjoy the new blind, sounds like it's working out well!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:07 PM »
It's not too often we can wear cutoffs and flip flops to the deer woods but some times the weather cooperates, still have to watch out for alligators, diamondbacks and zika 'skeeters, just like dove season.  Lots of fellers wear snake boots most of the time in the woods, you'll usually find me in a pair of Bean slipons, a pair of bib overalls and a long sleeved dark colored shirt, some times a camo jacket.  I do have some cold weather gear that every so often we have to break out, like when it gets down to say about 35 degrees.  I know, I'm a wuss, life comes to an almost complete standstill if we get much of a frost @--0--0116!
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »
I could have borrowed those shorts in SD in November. It was too warm
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter