New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: New shootin' house and food plot for Grandsons  (Read 4058 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
New shootin' house and food plot for Grandsons
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »
Each Thanksgiving our 3 children and their families come back to the farm where they grew up.  The 2 oldest grandsons always go and sit with me in a shootin' house but this coming season, we go sit in their shootin' house.

During spring break they came to stay a few days and I had the material to start a 4X6 house on skids.  They did the measuring and marking with the framing square, I did the circular saw.  They both used the nail guns building the floor from treated 2X6's.  We then built the stud walls and covered it with T-111.  Later I put a metal panel roof on the house, it has about a 12" over hang.  Need to finish the door and cut in a couple of window and then drag the thing to the food plot.

The food plot has not been planted in several years so I mowed it, disked it and the bottom plowed it.  Lot's of weather issues, so ended up disking it several more times, each time killing a multitude of weeds that are always present.  This little patch has a lot of coffee weeds, so extra disking was a plus.  This plot is "L" shaped, the angle point is against an old farm pond with one leg running south and the other east.  The longest shot will be 70 yards in either direction, just right for 11 and 12 year old boys.

I planted the plot on June 6, I think with an antique Van Brunt grain drill and there are a few follow up pictures showing the growth of the Iron & Clay cow peas.  These peas have very small seed and were used as a hay crop many years ago.  The plants actually vine and will climb an adjacent fence or a nearby tree.  They will get as tall as soybeans and the deer seem to stay with them during the growing season.  They will grow till frost kills them but we usually plow them under about about 6-8 weeks before Thanksgiving and plant a cool season crop usually a cereal grain.  Oats are good but for several years we planted Wren's Abruzzi Rye, it seem to fair better in the cooler days.

I'm going to post a few pictures showing our project and will try to keep a regular update till the rifle season starts on Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Re: New shootin' house and food plot for Grandsons
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:42 PM »
Here's a few more pictures  of the project.  Showing  planting the Iron & Clay peas and the peas coming up.
Treefarmer

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:52:51 PM »
Looks like they will really have a good time this fall .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 04:45:55 AM »
looks good,
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:26:41 AM »
Looking good Treefarmer.  Love the antique grain drill.  Hope the weather holds out for you.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »
Things are looking really nice those boys will enjoy it for sure...good job!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Everything looks great. It is nice the see the whole family hunting together.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »
Looks good!! They boys will really appreciate their hard work come hunting season. It feels good to use something you built or assisted in building plus it gets them outside and learning something new nice job!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
Looking pretty good, I'm sure the boys will appreciate all the hard work you are putting in for them and a little more being that they got the chance to help you out with the project. It's always good when they own a part of it with their labor. Keep up the good work.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
Good to see you all not only hunt together but you work together too!!! Hope you have a good season!! ##$%#11
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments!

The biggest problem I have with such a project is the 300+/- miles between where the boys live and where the old home place is located.  You've got to stuff a lot in a short period to make a showin' when they come to visit.

If we'd had our grandsons 1st it would have been a lot easier ##$%#1119.  Not really, we had a wonderful time raisin' 2 girls and a boy, they experienced a lot of things most kids don't have the opportunity to do anymore by being raised on a farm. We found with the Lord's help every facet of life is more easily understood on the farm, life, death and everything in between is usually found some where in a cow pen, vegetable garden or in a stand of planted pines.
Treefarmer

Online yari

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
looks good. I know what you mean about the 300 miles. I have enough trouble w/ 175 miles each way. it crams a lot of work in short periods
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments!

The biggest problem I have with such a project is the 300+/- miles between where the boys live and where the old home place is located.  You've got to stuff a lot in a short period to make a showin' when they come to visit.

If we'd had our grandsons 1st it would have been a lot easier ##$%#1119.  Not really, we had a wonderful time raisin' 2 girls and a boy, they experienced a lot of things most kids don't have the opportunity to do anymore by being raised on a farm. We found with the Lord's help every facet of life is more easily understood on the farm, life, death and everything in between is usually found some where in a cow pen, vegetable garden or in a stand of planted pines.
Treefarmer

You couldn't have said it better!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Sorry to say I haven't completed the shooting house and put in place, yet @--0--0116.  No excuse, just ain't got the energy I used to have. 
After the 9+ inches of rain this week, I checked the food plot and found the Iron & Clay peas were doing okay.  They are a little over 10 week old and we'll plow them under in early October and plant a cool season plot.  They still have 7 or 8 weeks to grow.
The deer are browsing the pea vines but not hammering them.  There is around 100 acres of peanuts about a 200 yards from this tiny food plot, I'm sure the deer are dining in that patch too.
Treefarmer
Pictures show the 10 week growth and red circles show where the deer are clipping the pea vines.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:35 PM »
Looks good, better get that blind slid in there soon!  Hope you can get a cool spell for that.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad