New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Not my Biggest - but made the Weatherby Guide of 1985  (Read 1757 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Not my Biggest - but made the Weatherby Guide of 1985
« on: June 02, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »
This photo shows a younger (much younger) me with a 14 pointer that I nailed in Middle Georgia back in 1981. This deer is basically a 10 pointer with stickers every where. It was a 5.5 year old deer and the body of this thing was huge. I was using a original Weatherby Vanguard, the original Vanguard was shiny and made by Howa (in Japan). The caliber was in 30-06 and had mounted another Leupold VX2 on top of it. It seem to like the 165 gn over the 180 or the 150 grain pills.

I think the reason why Weatherby Put the picture in the 1985 was because the deer had a tag on it. The tag was actually the guy who took the picture with my camera. Here is the story and I hope to statue of limitations has expired for what I am about to admit. Back then (and you can ask Split Toe about this) we could only get two bucks, no does, just bucks back then. So the first thing I did was to get a spike for the freezer, then this 4 pointed stepped in front of me and he went into the freezer...then is malnourished 6 pointer came along (that was about the time the "Blue Tongue" disease started in GA, it was one of the first years that hunters and the Game Wardens became aware. So after we took this deer to the cooler, the butcher refused to process this deer. I used Dad's tag on this deer, then after finding a fresh scrap and rub, decided to put Dad on this buck, he was due for a buck. I had gotten settled in my deer stand, actually down in the seat so I could snooze, because I had 3 deer in the cooler already. Well about 8:30, I hear a dog yelp and sure enough it sort of woke me up. I was rubbing my eyes waking up when the nice 8 pointer appear in front of me. He came from the direction where Dad was at. The deer stopped 45 yards broadside from me and I just nailed this wall hanger! Yep he is on the wall. I use Dad's second tag on him!!

So now I have 4 deer in the freezer, and all my and Dad's tags were used! We were out of tags! It was Thanksgiving Weekend 1981 and I was down there. One of the guys had a cold and I got it from him! Sunday morning comes and I felt like I was getting sicker and sicker, my bones hurt, my head was filling fast and I began to sneeze, yep I was coming down with a cold. I told Dad and everyone else that I would hunt to about 10 AM and then pack up and head back home (about an hour and a half away). I have the 30-06 Weatherby and had some of Remington 55 gn Accelerators for the first two shots and underneath them was two 165 gn pills. I was looking not for deer but for a white fox squirrel that hand a black mask. It was beautiful and had seen it in the area for the last few days. We had move a stand real close to the pasture edge so I could see the pasture as well as the woods where this white fox squirrel was hanging out. Times goes by, wasn't feeling my best, but I was determine to ride it out until 10 AM....

Well you know that it would happen..The pasture was not on our property, and another side story on the farmer. Opening week of deer season, I spent the week down there and a few days there buy myself. The farmer came down the road and stopped by the camp during lunch time. I had fixed myself a sandwich and was drinking milk. The farmer and I got to talking and he seemed nice enough and asked him why does he hate all the hunters in the club. He told me that he caught the prez of the club in his pasture chasing his cattle with a VW dune buggy! I told him yea, I would be upset too with the guys. When he finally left he told Dad and I could hunt his property if we wanted to...I think it was the Milk that sold him. But back to the 14 pointer story, it was Thanksgiving Weekend and the farmer had his family over you could hear loud voices away and they also were rabbit hunting. I could hear all of this from my stand. About  9:30 the wind change on me, from blowing from my back side into the pasture, it was now blowing in my face. About 10 minutes later, I saw a deer in the pasture a long way away, I would say about 500 to 600 yards away. Took my Jason (K-mart special) and saw it was a deer, it was headed my way, a few minutes later I put the binos on it again and saw it was a buck a big buck the one that we all were hunting for. He got closer and closer. His angle was that he would not come close to me and I guesstimated that he was 200 yards out (turned out to be 174 yards, no rangefinder back in those days). Remember I was actually hunting for the white fox squirrel and had to take out two 55 gn accelerators of the magazine in order to get to the 165 gn pills, I put the two 55 gn pills in my pocket and took aim at the big 14 pointer. I put the cross hairs about an 1 inch high and sent the 165 gn pill on its way. Saw the deer jump and it ran about 50 yards and the laid down. It had gone behind my line of site and in a pile of brush, that I could not see from my stand. It was a quiet morning until that moment when I fired at the big boy. Now I had a problem, needed to convince the guy (Jerry C) to let me use his tag on him. I told him that I would give him the meat if he let me "borrow" his tag...LOL...The guy who took the picture and whose tag I used was hunting this deer was about 300 yards from me and had been hunting this deer all season long and had missed him on two separate occasions. One time he lead this deer at 60 yards using a 150 gn 300 Win Mag! traveling at 3400 fps it was there in .05 seconds...On the second miss, I bought the rifle from him for $50 but later that day gave it back to him...he was just frustrated that he had missed that deer for the second time. The weather that day was that it started out very clear and then it got overcast and a front was headed our way.

The picture of this deer turned out great. Have it enlarged and hanging on the wall (so is the deer) and I sent it to Weatherby along with a short letter and they politely sent me a response saying that they get a lot of pictures and there is no guarantee that this would make it into the bi-annual magazine. About 4 years after nailing this deer and sending in the photo into Weatherby, I get a call from David's Gun Room in Norcross, GA (great store) telling me that they have some new rifles in and if I could come by they would and show them to me. It was all a set up...When I got to the store and walked in, everyone was looking at me and calling me Mr Hollywood and Mr Personality, could not understand why everyone was focusing on me. I went over and they handed me a copy of the Weatherby Guide 1985 and was browsing though it and looked up and everyone in the store was looking at me (Former Gov of GA - George Busbee was one of the two famous guys in the shop) I just kept browsing the Weatherby Guide and was looking at it and was in page 32 and then flip it back to the back where all the new rifles where and awards. Then one of the workers in the store came over to me and told me to look on page 34! I did and then they said "recognized anyone of the page"? I looked and this picture was on the bottom of the page. That was the first time anyone from David's Gun Room had ever been in a magazine...I was a little embarrassed that I was the center of attention and felt good that it made it....the only problem is that they called me Bob instead of Bo...they thought I left off the other B...LOL...but I am in the 85 Edition with Nolan Ryan, yep the Hall of Fame Baseball Picture.....

So that is my story of not my biggest but about the most interesting   

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:03:56 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Not my Biggest - but made the Weatherby Guide of 1985
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »
Great story Bo nice buck!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
Great deer and story, "Bob"  @--0--0105

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »
Yeah, but what about that white squirrel??    --099-780

Great buck Bo, glad to see you got your overdue 15 minutes of fame!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:43:45 PM »
Well Bob that was a great story and fine buck...my my you were a young wiper snapper. I remember those years well .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:35:39 AM by Hunt Master »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:07:30 PM »
Mad - LOL...thanks, never did see that fox squirrel. A few years after that, the land was cleared and not logged...cleared!! not a tree standing as far as the eye could see....

My other claim to fame is that I beat Jack Nicklaus, yep sure did.....in tennis...LOL. Was working down in West Palm Beach, FL back in 75 or 76 and it was once in a lifetime snow that fell in Florida that far South. Jack and his son Jack, Jr., school principal was out trying to get into shape for the upcoming PGA tour, back then there was now West Coast swing or Hawaii Tournaments. They did not play every weekend like they do now. The tennis courts, they were three inside courts and we had reserved them a few days earlier and back then did not pay much attention to the weather, It had turned bad and due to weather nobody showed up. We had two of the three courts reserved and they were suppose to be 8 of us that was going to practice. So my partner and I asked Jack and his partner if they wanted to play doubles. At that time, the good old days and Split Toe had it right was a young wiper snapper, was ranked first at my company and 7th in the state. When I got back to Atlanta, played ALTA (Atlanta Lawn and Tennis Association) and was Ranked 3A and my doubles partner played for the University of GA...anyway, we beat Jack and his partner 6-0 the first set and then we got to talking to each other and let them win 6-4 just so we could play a third set...they were nice guys...but a few year later at the  1981 PGA Open held at the Atlanta Athletic Club, it was a practice round and I was there and he gave me a double take when he saw me, I just nodded and did a hand jester. He did the same thing at the Masters the next year. He is such a nice classy guy. I do remember seeing him on a turkey hunt on a show on TV. He was taking his grandson turkey hunting somewhere in Florida. I bet you guys did not know that Jack is color blind, Barbara use to lay out what colors go with what pants for each tournament. He always wore Yellow on Sunday's.       

Ben - yea just call me Bob...LOL...

Thanks for all the comments...Bo, I mean Bob...LOL...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:37:59 AM by Hunt Master »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »
great story. you had a horseshoe in your pocket that year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »
Nice story to  go along with your beautiful buck!!
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
Great story and great buck. Thanks for sharing.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »
Yes, I did have the luck with me that year....Back then always get one for the freezer and then go for the wall hanger. Second one looked like was diseased and you could see his ribs....put him out of his misery.

The foot note to this picture is that Split Toe can down to the club the next year to do some hunting with old cuz and was there 15 minutes total and nailed two deer. I have not see a buck that following year but Split Toe has the Horse Shoe and wasn't in his stand 5 minutes when two bucks walked into his sights. The first one, I have put him in his stand and was walking to mine and was climbing up in it when I heard him shoot. I cannot say now what I said then when I heard the shot and knew it was him and knew his luck....The second deer, I think I had got settled in when I heard him shoot! Amazing. I spent two good hunts either dragging deer. Split Toe can embellish the story if he wants too.....the caliber he was using as a Remington 30-06, 55 Grain "Accelerator" in his 742! Apparently he forgot his ammo and stopped to pick up a box and the only ammo the store had was this Remington "Accelerator". He fired the 742 twice and each time the rifle jammed. Apparently it does not have blow back to eject the shell and kick a fresh round into the chamber. Each time he fired it hit a deer...This is great ammo I have 3 boxes of this ammo. All full boxes of 30-06, 308 and 30-30...ammo! yes I said 30-30. The 06- and 308 are really for bolt action rifles.

Shortly after Split Toes famous hunting trip with me, the Justice Department field an injunction against Remington for ammo that can be used by folks and it doesn't leave rifling marks on the bullets! Each 55 gn bullet is set into a Sabot that then seats into the casing. It is basically a 55 gn, 223 bullet! It was fought for two years and then the Justice Department dropped the suit against Remington and after they the quit making the ammo. Maybe that was one of the settlement....that is the story behind Remington Accelerator Program.....   

Thanks for all the comments......Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
Always wondered what the heck happened to the Accelerator product.  I just assumed since Winchester & Federal never copied the idea and Remington dropped it, that it wasn't very functional. 
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 05:34:08 AM »
One more note when I was hunting that White Fox Squirrel I did not have anything little with me, no 22, the 17 had been thought of yet. All I had was two Accelerators 55 gn from Remington loaded thinking that I would not do much damage to the fox squirrel and plan on having him mounted. When the big buck showed up about 500 yards away and as he kept getting closer and closer, I took the two 55 grain Accelerators out of the magazine in order to get down to the 168 gns Seirra Game King that I had hand loaded. I held the scope about an inch higher and sent it...rest is history..

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 06:34:31 AM »
Not sure if I have posted this or not but will post it again. The back story on this critter, is that on Nov 1st, think it was on a Thursday 2001, got down to the GA club about mid-day and was waiting on Split Toe to arrive, he got there around 2:30.  Was in a Camo shirt, blue jeans and tennis shoes. It was mild weather. When RL another great guy in the club, show up around 3 PM....it was an mild afternoon and I think it was Split Toe asked if we were going to hunt or what? So off we went. I had decided to hunt a old ladder stand in an hard wood ridge on the back side on out property. I was using my "Black Beauty" a 24" heavy barrel 308 (Remington 700 Varmint), 165 grain ballistic tip. Was no need for a jacket. I got on the stand and gotten settled in about 5 PM and was thinking that it get dark around 6:30 PM (the time, DST, had not changed then).

I had an hour and a half to hunt and was thinking about where to go to eat after hunting, it was just the three of us, when I head something directly behind me and it was multi critters coming, you could tell by the sounds. At first, thought it was a bunch of does. The ladder stand I was in was propped against a very big pine tree so that gave me so an advantage. Was listening to which was the deer was going go approach, left side or right side. I switched positions with the 308 thinking I was going have to shoot left handed, then the sound changed, switched the rifle position back to the right...so far so good....the sound kept getting father way but you could hear them coming several hundred yards back. I slowly peaked to my left and saw three dogs playing around in the leaves heading home to the mobile homes that had been recently installed (probably over the summer). So I  breathe a sigh of relief and got a good laugh at myself for getting all tensed up.

I looked straight in front of me and there was a doe standing right in front of me about 50 yards away looking at those dogs. They really made a lot of noise on the leaves. Apparently she was bedded down and the dogs spooked her and she had gotten up and was going to leave the area. Behind her was this buck. I heard a gut and focus on him. he was about 75 yards in front of me. The lay of the land was that in front of me it was tall grass and it was turning into a bottom, getting really thick. So this is where they came from. I have always wondered if my approached to the stand (I came in the same way the dogs did, from directly behind the stand. I made a lot of noise myself shuffling through the leaves.

This doe after looking at these house dogs, none of them you would call hunting dogs, took a long look before trotting away. The buck started walking about 15 to 20 yards behind her. Could tell he was a shooter when I first saw the curvature of his rack. After that I went on automatic. I swung the 308 to the biggest opening between the trees so that I would have a clear shot at the big old buck. The buck was angling towards me and was on a path to follow the doe...he was about 60 yards away when I pulled the trigger. He ran about 25 to 35 yards stopped and fell over like a ton of bricks...From the time I saw the buck and the time I shot maybe a minute or less....

Attached are two pictures of this deer....thanks for looking....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Great stories BO, I know you will follow up on those at Summerblast. Are you sure those aren't Split toes deer and he just let you take a picture with them? I think that's how I heard it  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »
Great stories BO, I know you will follow up on those at Summerblast. Are you sure those aren't Split toes deer and he just let you take a picture with them? I think that's how I heard it  --099-780
Oh yeah, now the trash talking is getting into a higher gear . . . .

Great buck Bo!  (or Split?)
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad