New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Need advice on turkey fan mounts  (Read 3435 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Need advice on turkey fan mounts
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
Thanks, Roger, that was my first longbeard, a 21 pounder.  Since then, I shot another one that had a little bit longer spurs but weighed 18 lbs.  Called both with the same box call.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 05:36:35 AM »
just going along with what has been said...I always used borax inside bird mounts and louies picture shows it well.salt is more of a temporary thing but borax will dry it right out.The more meat and fat you can scrape off the better and it will dry quicker.Spread it,pin it and check on it as it dries once in a while.A month is minimum as to soon and it may end up distorted as it finishes drying without pins.Pretty simple...show us a pic after mount is done

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
Will do, thanks Gander.  It's interesting, the stuff I found online ranges from a week to a month in their recommendations on how long to keep it pinned before you hang it on the wall.  Would be willing to bet a lot of anxious people try to shortcut the process & end up disappointed in the outcome as more shrinkage happens later.  I'm also going to take a stab at using the same process that I used with the TH logo on the turkey calls to see if I can get a black & white picture of me & the bird transferred to the plaque - will try that on some scrap first of course.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
I am the odd one here. I use salt. Pin it to a board with the fan open.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 04:49:31 AM »
I went the borax route. Have two fans finished, now need to find some shop time to get the mounting boards made up.
and enjoy it!

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 06:12:44 AM »
I'm sure you will post a photo or two of them when they are done and I bet they will look great. I also bet some of us will be asking for some of the "TH" mounting boards also.  @--0--0137

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 09:23:39 PM »
Finally got around to finishing up one of the gobbler fans from this spring.  Was initially hoping to transfer a photo of me & the bird onto the plaque, but as I tested it you just couldn't make it out unless you really knew what you were looking for.  I found an image on line of a flying bird & used that instead, as a reminder of those birds flying across the river to us that morning.  Didn't turn out too bad - after I took the picture I decided to add some cord around the beards just below the brass so the white would be covered up and it also helped separate the two beards so the smaller one was visible.  Have another tail dried out & ready, but wanted to see how this one turned out before I started on the next plaque.

and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:30 AM »
Looks very nice, Roger, good job! 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 11:21:04 AM »
Thanks Louie, appreciate all of your advice along the way!
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 09:29:25 PM »
You're welcome, Roger.  I noticed you set up the spurs the same way I did mine.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
Yeah, I had never seen it done that way before, and really liked that look (I shamelessly stole your idea!)  The spurs on this bird weren't too impressive, but I still like the look of it overall.  I didn't keep the feet from the second bird I'm doing, so that will just be a fan and beard.  I also think I messed up and have the wrong beard on this one.  This bird had two beards on it, but the other was a single with a longer beard - I had them all drying in a cup of borax together, and I think I have the long beard from the other bird on this plaque.  I suppose it doesn't matter at the end of the day - I hate to risk messing something up by trying to un-melt the hot glue to release the beard. That other one had been in the freezer for a long time, I'm surprised it was still usable.
and enjoy it!

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
Looks great. Outstanding

New Page 3

Google Ad